Cabin heater?-gctid363640

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabin heater?-gctid363640

It got chilly last night on the boat! I turned the knob to "warmer" and turned the fan to "run" and all it didnwas circulate the cabin air. No heat. I have the switch on at the main panel. What gives??

More info needed!

Is this cabin heater electric or engine coolant heat provided?

I'll assume electric.

If the fan operates, this means that it's receiving a/c power, and it may indicate the electric strip, or a thermo switch that has failed.

Try turning the a/c power off, pull the cover and expose the element wire connections and the thermo switch connections.

Take some continuity test readings.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
      More info needed!

Is this cabin heater electric or engine coolant heat provided?

I'll assume electric.

If the fan operates, this means that it's receiving a/c power, and it may indicate the electric strip, or a thermo switch that has failed.

Try turning the a/c power off, pull the cover and expose the element wire connections and the thermo switch connections.

Take some continuity test readings.
      I bet it's something a lot simpler...like his boat only has AC and not the reverse cycle unit. Just because the thermostat knob says "Warmer" doesn't mean it's going to crank out any heat!
      Simo
      2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
      Downsized to a couple of kayaks for now.

Comment

well..depends on the unit...if you have an airrrr heat/ac unit..it maybe set to ac only..which I believe is #1 on the pad..turn the unit off...then I believe you hold the fan button down until it displays..select up or down to get it to read 1 or 2...or 0 for both...1 I think is ac...2 heat...zero both.....(I'm not at my boat so can't verify with the manual)...

the other thing is the pump may not be working..in the engine bay there is a water pump that pumps outside water thru the RC unit to produce either cool air or hot air....depending on how it's set...

:arr ar

Comment

It's hard to give helpful suggestions without knowing what kind of heater you are referring to. Can you give us a name/model/picture/etc.?
          Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys
          Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
          Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
          MMSI: 338030604

Comment

My seacock was closed. Opened it, still no heat.

I dont know what brand/model it is. Its whatever came factory on a 2000/2001 ciera 2855. There are 2 knobs below the V berth. One knob has 3 positions (off, fan, run) and the oter knob is temperature (warmer to the left, colder to the right. What is reverse cycle heat? How does it work?

Comment

RC heating is simply water is pumped thru a heat exchanger fan assy. in one direction..the coolant in the heat exchanger removes heat from the water and provides cool air to the cabin...reverse the water flow and you get heat.....one of those black magic things ......

:arr arr

Comment

You're not getting heat because it's only an AC; warmer in this instance just means less cooler when it's hot out.
                Simo
                2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
                Downsized to a couple of kayaks for now.

Comment

Working...
                X