X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    mdldgl wrote:
    The problem is fixed.... thanks for the suggestion to Rick & Lex.

By the way, just to confirm, threads are 1/2 x13NC
    So these are 1/2" machine threads, not tapered nor straight pipe threads! Hmmm.

Well, glad that you sorted it out.

Leave a comment:

replied
    lexdavis wrote:
    Not wanting to sound like a smart a## here but you guys need to check a thread chart before offering these suggestions.
    Actually, whomever is shoving the tap in the hole needs to determine what the thread is. Just like whomever puts a wrench on a nut needs to determine what size wrench to use.

And other people looking at thread charts isn't going to do that.

Leave a comment:

• dmcb
    replied
    MidnightSun wrote:
    Not really Doug as you need to remove them every year to winterize. If you winterize without removing the plugs ala antifreeze running method it is still a good idea to open these up to rinse sediment out very year or so with the wire poke method we all mention. Personally my engines have 9 per engine and these blue plugs are wing nuts hand tight which is a breeze to remove/install. The alternative is paste or teflon tape and tools in impossible positions if you know what I mean. However, yes a tapered npt plug will seal fine in a non tapered hole assuming thread TPI is the same.
    I never meant not to remove them Hans. Many engines use brass plugs that you remove every year.

I often replaced the plugs with petcocks which has wing nuts which made it easier.

Doug

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    2850Bounty wrote:
    Whether tapered or straight......., my suggestion was to Chase the threads.... as in clean them up from any plastic debris......... not re-cut them!
    The problem is fixed.... thanks for the suggestion to Rick & Lex.

By the way, just to confirm, threads are 1/2 x13NC

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Not wanting to sound like a smart a## here but you guys need to check a thread chart before offering these suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• MidnightSun
    replied
    Not really Doug as you need to remove them every year to winterize. If you winterize without removing the plugs ala antifreeze running method it is still a good idea to open these up to rinse sediment out very year or so with the wire poke method we all mention. Personally my engines have 9 per engine and these blue plugs are wing nuts hand tight which is a breeze to remove/install. The alternative is paste or teflon tape and tools in impossible positions if you know what I mean. However, yes a tapered npt plug will seal fine in a non tapered hole assuming thread TPI is the same.

Leave a comment:

• dmcb
    replied
    I have never seen these things but replacing them with a brass plug be an option? It would eliminate all of this.

Doug

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    lexdavis wrote:
    The plugs are threaded 1/2" 13 tpi UNC, do not use a pipe thread tap as you will destroy the thread in the tapped hole and never be able to fit a standard blue plug again.
    Whether tapered or straight......., my suggestion was to Chase the threads.... as in clean them up from any plastic debris......... not re-cut them!

Leave a comment:

• MidnightSun
    replied
    lexdavis wrote:
    The plugs are threaded 1/2" 13 tpi UNC, do not use a pipe thread tap as you will destroy the thread in the tapped hole and never be able to fit a standard blue plug again.
    Correct you are. The plugs seal via the o-ring and not like conventional NPT threads. More like o-ring boss style or ORB if you prefer.

Just to clarify things a little. If your engine is newer and have blue plugs there are straight thread ORB. If they are steel or brass plugs on an older engine they are tapered or NPT if you prefer.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

• MidnightSun
    replied
    FYI, those blue plugs simply do not last very long. They tend to dry out and get brittle with time due to engine heat. My engines are only 5 years old and already I have had 2 leaks. I strongly suggest you replace with new ones every 3 years or so. I keep extras in my tool box along with the o-rings. Mine were easily removed with a screw driver shoved into the hole. Ideally a brass wing nut plug would solve the replacement issue but I have yet to find one.

Leave a comment:

replied
    2850Bounty wrote:
    I may be wrong, but I'm thinking that these are tapered pipe threads, not machine threads.

If so, you want a pipe thread tap, not a machine thread tap.

Or run a very stiff internal pipe cleaning brush .... or a stiff auto battery cable terminal brush inside of it.

Yes.

They are NPT pipe threads, either 1/8" or 1/4". More than likely 1/4" pipe tap.

If you do run a tap in, do not run it all the way like you would a normal tap. The pipe thread taps are tapered, and tapered reamers are used to finish the holes. If you run the tap in to far, the plus will no longer have enough surface to seal and might leak.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    I may be wrong, but I'm thinking that these are tapered pipe threads, not machine threads.

If so, you want a pipe thread tap, not a machine thread tap.

Or run a very stiff internal pipe cleaning brush .... or a stiff auto battery cable terminal brush inside of it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Scraping B wrote:
    same thing happened to 2 of mine the same season . dito on the torch and screw driver . took them right out .
    Well, the heat and screw driver didn't work perfectly...but it worked. Heated up screw driver with heat gun, stuck it in, let it cool a bit - but the blue plastic just crumbled.. did not unscrew. So per Ricks suggestion, I just kept repeating until all that was left was the plastic in the threads. My dealer just closed, so I will pick up new plugs tomorrow.. I will take my tap and die set with me to see if I have the right one (it is like 40 years old... got it from my Great -Uncle! - so no metric)... if not, the hardware store is just around the corner from Fox Lake Harbour.. hopefully I can finish it up tommorw .

Thanks for the suggestions!!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    same thing happened to 2 of mine the same season . dito on the torch and screw driver . took them right out .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X