Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct temp for V6?-gctid363378

Hi,

I had my boat serviced awhile ago and before it used to run around 165 -170.

They had changed out the thermostat during the service and now it sits at 185.

I have spoken to them and they have said to bring it back and they will change out the thermostat again and check that there is nothing else going on.

Just wanted to know if running at 185 is a reason for concern or not?

By the way the guys that service my boat are good honest people and great to deal with.

When I suggested that I would change out the thermostat, they insisted that I shouldn't have to worry about it and that they would fix it at no cost.

If raw water cooled and in ocean water, the concern would be salt crystallization.

See your OEM service manual.... it should suggest the correct lower temp thermostat.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

After the thermostat change if engine temp still reads 185 get ahold of an infrared therm gun and shoot the engine after normal warm up. If the engine is actually running cooler than the gauge reading, take it from there.

When I bought my 3685 last summer, my mechanic told me both my temp gauges were reading 20┬░ above actual engine temp. I verified that for myself with my own IR gun.

So you never know...

Comment

Rick,

I should of mentioned that it raw water cooled and in fresh water.

Telebob,

Good point, I will check that this week.

Thanks.

Comment

That's definitely too hot, if you have a 160* stat (later Mercs do have 160s) your temp should range from 160-175. 185 is too hot, make them go back and check their work.
          88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
          98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
          07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Danny wrote:
            Hi,

I had my boat serviced awhile ago and before it used to run around 165 -170.

They had changed out the thermostat during the service and now it sits at 185.

I have spoken to them and they have said to bring it back and they will change out the thermostat again and check that there is nothing else going on.

Just wanted to know if running at 185 is a reason for concern or not?

By the way the guys that service my boat are good honest people and great to deal with.

When I suggested that I would change out the thermostat, they insisted that I shouldn't have to worry about it and that they would fix it at no cost.
            So I checked the thermostat housing while running on the hose with an IR thermometer.

The hottest I could find was 70 deg C and that was where the housing is attached to the manifold.

I changed out the temp sender but it is still the same.

I am now thinking it must be the gauge..... is this correct?

Comment

Danny,

Why not check the temp where the temp sender is fitted? It may give you an idea as to gauge accuracy.

I have a V6 MPI 220hp raw water cooled. Sits between 170-175 F. But guages are often wrong.

I'd take it back and get them to calibrate your gauge.

Alan

Melbourne

Comment

Alan_192 wrote:
                Danny,

Why not check the temp where the temp sender is fitted? It may give you an idea as to gauge accuracy.

I have a V6 MPI 220hp raw water cooled. Sits between 170-175 F. But guages are often wrong.

I'd take it back and get them to calibrate your gauge.

Alan

Melbourne
                Hi Alan,

Yes, I checked the temp right at the sender position, which was showing around 50 - 60 C.

I removed the gauge cluster last night, but they are all mounted on a circuit board.

Does anyone know if you can get a single gauge replacement or do you have to buy the complete cluster?

I hate to think how much that is going to cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

So converting 60┬░C to F = 140┬░. Sounds like the engine is running a little cold. Is this the reading when it's completely warmed up, thermostat open? If the thermostat is opening at 140┬░F and engine temp holds steady I would suspect that the wrong thermostat is in there. But I would want to run that engine under load before making a judgement.

As for the guages, why stress? If you know what the actually temp offset is just apply it to the gauge reading.

Comment

Danny,

I would have just put the sender into boiling water to check the gauge reading.

So now your thermostat reads high by more than 15deg F and you have a cool engine.

Firstly check you are getting ~14V to your instruments.

But seriously why not take up the offer - By the way the guys that service my boat are good honest people and great to deal with.

Re new gauges - do not know what type you have but check this link out- $15 US for a cluster component temp gauge.

https://faria-instruments.com/store/index.php

You can get stand alone temp gauges for $30.00

Alan

Melbourne

Comment

Working...
                    X