1998 Alpha 1 Gen 2 Trim Pump...help...-gctid363287

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 Alpha 1 Gen 2 Trim Pump...help...-gctid363287

Okay, stored the boat for the winter with the drive down in a dry garage with cover on. Picked boat up and ran drive up and drove 150 miles. Just checking the fluid in trim pump for normal maintenance I noticed the fluid was all milkshake. Now I was pretty sure the oil looked fine all last season but there is a chance it had water in it from it being swamped the year before I bought it due to a leaky bellows.

So I figured I'd just pull the reservoir and clean it out, flush the lines and cylinders using the method in the Mercruiser manual which I followed to a T and had clean oil (I'm using 10w30) coming out the lines and ran drive up and down part way a few time to flush residual fluid in cylinders until they where nice and clear. So last step was to run drive all the way up and down a few times to get air out of lines and guess what, yep my reservoir once again looks like a milkshake.

What gives? Is it from the air bleeding out? I did one time when flushing it out run it just a tad low and it sucked air for a millisecond. So if it is just air will it return to the oil state or do I need to start over?

If the boat is out of the water and you are not seeing fluid level change, the only reasonable explanation is aeration. Generally for hydronic applications such as trim and power steering, you should use automotive power steering fluid. It is designed with specific viscosity to handle air bubbles.

If you have to use 30w oil, find non detergent oil. Regular motor oil has detergent additives and viscosity modifiers for different operating temperatures.

Comment

Probably just air in the system run it up and down a few times then let the air settle out and then try again, PAS systems do the same thing...........Paul......

Comment

GrindKore wrote:
        If the boat is out of the water and you are not seeing fluid level change, the only reasonable explanation is aeration. Generally for hydronic applications such as trim and power steering, you should use automotive power steering fluid. It is designed with specific viscosity to handle air bubbles.

If you have to use 30w oil, find non detergent oil. Regular motor oil has detergent additives and viscosity modifiers for different operating temperatures.
        Yes sorry boat is out of water and manual says 10w30 is okay so I went that route.

Comment

minimans wrote:
          Probably just air in the system run it up and down a few times then let the air settle out and then try again, PAS systems do the same thing...........Paul......
          I'm letting it settle now hoping it comes out. Just wasn't sure if it would out.

Comment

Just checked it 12 hrs later and it's still white, I think I'll go get some more oil, pump the reservoir out cycle it up and down a few times and maybe do that whole process a couple times to get as much of the aerated oil out I can.

Comment

qbayle wrote:
              Just checked it 12 hrs later and it's still white, I think I'll go get some more oil, pump the reservoir out cycle it up and down a few times and maybe do that whole process a couple times to get as much of the aerated oil out I can.
              If you gonna dump it out anyways try using power steering fluid this time. I'm not sure what brand of trim tabs you have, mine are Benett and is clearly says "automotive power steering fluid" in the manual. Many years ago I have too filled my outboard tilt/trim with regular motor oil, the detergent in that oil attacked o-rings and seals next year it was leaking like a sieve and had to be completely rebuilt.If you use oil do yourself a favor and read up on hydraulics, non detergent oil is the only safe product for this application.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

Comment

GrindKore wrote:
                If you gonna dump it out anyways try using power steering fluid this time. I'm not sure what brand of trim tabs you have, mine are Benett and is clearly says "automotive power steering fluid" in the manual. Many years ago I have too filled my outboard tilt/trim with regular motor oil, the detergent in that oil attacked o-rings and seals next year it was leaking like a sieve and had to be completely rebuilt.If you use oil do yourself a favor and read up on hydraulics, non detergent oil is the only safe product for this application.

It's the out drive trim pump and manual says 10w30,10w40 or quicksilver trim/ps fluid are all acceptable. But I am going to go get some PS fluid and re-flush it.

Comment

Okay, flushed it all back out and replaced oil with PS fluid. Hoping to get it in the water tomorrow so I want to run drive up and down a few times to figure out if the cylinders need rebuilt.

Comment

Working...
                  X