Exhaust manifold-gctid362427

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust manifold-gctid362427

Hi, any one out there that has replaced an exhaust manifold . I have a 2352 hardtop with a 4 year old vortec 4.3 v6 & its time to replace the manifolds. I,ve priced the stainless steel ones, expensive & are they as good as they say, aluminium manifolds ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Alan

What makes you think you need new ones. Ebay has some great deals on manifolds. I would stick with cast Iron.

Comment

Thunder wrote:
      What makes you think you need new ones. Ebay has some great deals on manifolds. I would stick with cast Iron.
      hey thunder, thanks for reply, 2 plugs on seem to be rusting up , i afraid water getting into head, would a new set of gaskets do the job ? , cheers

Comment

Maybe, I would pull the risers off and give it a good look. Looking at the water jackets will give you a good idea what the condition is. If they look okay use the good gray stainless riser gaskets from Merc or Glm.

Thunder

Comment

It is recommended replacing the Merc manifolds if there is less than 1/4" of material between the exhaust port and the water jacket. The material thickness should not include any corrosion.

This in addition to making sure you have a good surface for the gasket to seal.

Comment

ALAN DEVOY wrote:
            Hi, any one out there that has replaced an exhaust manifold . I have a 2352 hardtop with a 4 year old vortec 4.3 v6 & its time to replace the manifolds. I,ve priced the stainless steel ones, expensive & are they as good as they say, aluminium manifolds ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Alan
            What year is your boat? Are you in salt-water or fresh water?

Comment

myflies wrote:
              It is recommended replacing the Merc manifolds if there is less than 1/4" of material between the exhaust port and the water jacket. The material thickness should not include any corrosion.

This in addition to making sure you have a good surface for the gasket to seal.
              Thanks for reply, checked them out & they need replacing, any thoughts on alum. or cast or the best manufacturer, cheers

Comment

Working...
              X