1984 85hp Force motor-gctid361943

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 85hp Force motor-gctid361943

I bought a 1984 bayliner capri last summer and the first time I took it out it was obvious that the starter was DONE. Sure enough I took a look and the starter was pretty beat up, there were metal flakes all over the place that had been ground off the part of the starter that contacts the motor (I have no technical knowledge, if you haven't noticed yet). I replaced it and it sounds nice and healthy now, only it will crank a couple times and then stop. I have to turn the key back to off and then try again. It will start after 3-5 tries.

Another issue that may be connected: It stalls in neutral fairly frequently, and if I throttle up too fast it stalls.

Thanks!!

It sounds like you got the starter problem fixed but you don't say how long your cranking the starter. Keep in mind that when you activate the choke it give a direct injection of fuel so don't hold it in while trying to start but do press it once or twice before you hit the key.

It sounds now like you have carb problems. You need to get a manual for the motor, check compression, tune up, clean the carbs and adjust them. The engine needs to be in the water for all adjustments so as to create the proper back pressure.

Comment

Thanks. I am definitely holding the choke in too long when I try to start it. Should solve that problem. I will look into cleaning the carbs.

Comment

Working...
      X