Solas 4 blade-gctid361464

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Thanks for that itsabowtime2, all info gratefully received !

All the best Joe

Leave a comment:

• itsabowtime2
    replied
    TRIMIXJOE wrote:
    Interesting info itsabowtime2, tell me how much did you alter pitch and or diam from original prop, glad to hear you got that effect on your size of boat.

Best regards Joe
    I added 1/4" dia and lost 2 on the pitch.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yeah thanks for that rkcarguy, my previous experience of having cupping added is it causes extra bow lift and i definately don't want that !

Thanks again Joe

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It doesn't hurt anything to have a WOT rpm higher than spec. This means you'll be able to take a couple more people, more gear, etc etc and be ok.

I would try the prop first, then have it cupped only if you are quite a bit over the max wot rpm.

The difference was very noticable, much quicker out of the hole and to plane, faster cruising speed at my favorite rpm, but a slower WOT speed.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks for that rkcarguy, yes i suspect that with my V8 and a lighter boat it will fall to about 18" pitch and so will require adjustment by the propshop.

All the best Joe

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    On my 4-cylinder boats the difference was more like 2" of pitch for that extra blade, i.e. a 14x19 3-blade and a 14x17-4-blade were close to the same...even then I had a lower wot with the 4-blade but that was what I was looking for, being about 500rpm high before.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Interesting info itsabowtime2, tell me how much did you alter pitch and or diam from original prop, glad to hear you got that effect on your size of boat.

Best regards Joe

Leave a comment:

• itsabowtime2
    replied
    I can tell you my time to plane is now in the neighborhood of 7 seconds and you can feel the midrange acceleration. The first time I punched it from 3,000 RPM's I just looked at my wife a smiled. I was not that concerned about a loss of top end speed but that has not happened.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks for the response, i thought this thread had sunk without trace !!

No probs with wot, i'll probably stick with 19" pitch and have the prop shop take an inch off if it's too much after testing, it's always easier to reduce !

I went out last year on a friends boat, similar size different make, after he changed and the massive difference in stern lift was impressive, i dont suppose you'd get the same effect with your boats as they are much heavier ?

Cheers for the feedback Joe

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    itsabowtime2 wrote:
    I am running Solas 4 blade props and love them. (different Bay but great results)

Are you hitting your recommended RPM's at WOT, if not, and you are low, the extra 1" may be what you need.
    Ditto

Leave a comment:

• itsabowtime2
    replied
    I am running Solas 4 blade props and love them. (different Bay but great results)

Are you hitting your recommended RPM's at WOT, if not, and you are low, the extra 1" may be what you need.

Leave a comment:

• boatworkfl
    replied
    You could put a cup on the existing prop.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Solas 4 blade-gctid361464

Solas 4 blade-gctid361464

So here it is, i've decided to go with a Solas Saturn SS 4 blade prop.

I currently am using standard factory fitted cruise prop Ali 3 blade 15 X 19 on a 275, 5.0 sbc, my boat is a 2150 Ciera 86.

The recommended pitch change is 1 inch when you add a blade, however the next pitch choice down is 2 inches and using previous boat experience thats too big a step for me !

The use improvement is for rough water hold and stern lift and cruise, top speed is not a concern.

What i would like is anyones Saturn experiences regarding pitch changes on these props, especially on similar sized boats.

Don't even mention DP, just not interested !

I will probably have to make a decision quite soon as these appear to have just gone out of production and am tempted to stick with 19 inch pitch !

All the best Joe
Working...
X