Lets hear how you winterize your fresh water system.-gctid508546

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"TTT, how do you de-winterize?"

On winterized and empty tanks I have used Peggy;s old summarizing technique for many years now with great results.

- 1 oz of bleach to very 5 gallons of water

- Fill the tanks mix the bleach

- run the mixture through the entire system filling the lines

- let sit for 3/4 hours but not for more than a day (8 hours)

- run the lines and tanks empty or at least very low

- refill the tanks and run the lines so the new no bleach mix water is in them.

You are now done and ready for the season.

Hope this helps
    Northport NY

Comment

If you put that pink stuff in your water tank or hot water tank, you cannoy get it all out, you will drink it.

I have my hot water tank under the helm in the port stateroom with access from the hatch to the right of the helm in my 3870.

I run all the water out through the pump, then break into the lines under the galley hatch and let them drain, I them open the vent on the hot water heater and drain it, but prior to draining I turn off the water heater AC.

I leave all the faucets open, never had a freeze issue.

Not all boats will drain this way. blowing down the systen works, I breath more oil working on an old car than you get from a compressor.

I also in the spring reconnect the lines and fill about 25 gallons of water and a glug of bleach and flush the system.

Works for me. If you water heater is lower than any drain point that works, add 2 valves and isolate it.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I am clearly very bad, and/or very lucky.

All I did was ran the water out of all the tanks through the faucets, drained the HW tank from the drain tap on it. Went through a very cold winter, came back refilled, flushed with some water treatment and everything seems to be just fine.

From this thread I fear I have gremlins crawling around in my pipes and tanks but I don't use the water for drinking direct from the faucet, though I do use it boiled for coffee.

it seems fine and I don't see any evidence of any leaks.
        BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
        5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
        Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

"simbad" post=557539 wrote:
          I am clearly very bad, and/or very lucky.

All I did was ran the water out of all the tanks through the faucets, drained the HW tank from the drain tap on it. Went through a very cold winter, came back refilled, flushed with some water treatment and everything seems to be just fine.

From this thread I fear I have gremlins crawling around in my pipes and tanks but I don't use the water for drinking direct from the faucet, though I do use it boiled for coffee.

it seems fine and I don't see any evidence of any leaks.
          Install a cold water filter for drinking under the sink, I intent to this summer, otherwise drinking water is refilled water jugs, tap water good for cooking though.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Yup, got one, I just thought it funny the extremes in this thread when i'm really doing none of it, prob come back to burn me
            BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
            5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
            Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Working...
            X