Lets hear how you winterize your fresh water system.-gctid508546

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets hear how you winterize your fresh water system.-gctid508546

Yes, the pink stuff (or purple for you way up north) is the easiest, but is it the best for non-growth of critters and smell, at spring commissioning time? Should the system stay pressurized with the antifreeze in the lines or faucets open?

You're going to hear of two methods here, Jim.

1..... blowing down the system with air pressure, and leaving it dry.

2.... drain the system and then purge the system with the RV type antifreeze.

If you choose #2, you'll want to have the WH by-pass valving in place.

Jim, I use the #2 method and I have the WH by-pass valving in place.

If I were to use #1, I have several low points in the system, and I'd prefer to not risk any residual water returning to the low points.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I would suggest blowing the lines clear and forget the antifreeze.

Drain your water tank as much as possible. Remove the outgoing line from the pump. Blow all the cold water lines starting with the farthest one. Be sure you close it before going to the next one.

When finished with the cold lines, drain the water heater. Blow the outgoing pump line once more to clear the cold water line to the water heater.

Remove the out line from the water heater and blow all the hot water lines the same as the cold.

Remember that line from the water tank to the pump. remove the in line from the pump and drain. Bump the pump once more to clear any water that might be in it.

Any small remaining water will cause no damage.

Because I didn't want to bother with an air compressor, the last few years I winterized our present 38xx, I reversed the pump and sucked the water out using the same method as blowing it. Hooked it to the outgoing line from the water heater to get the hot water lines. When it quit pumping water I quit and went to the next faucet.

I did that for about 4 years and never had a problem in the spring.

It worked with lines to the bow for an anchor wash to the stern with its wash. In all 13 faucets.

Now we are in heated storage and I do nothing with it.

If you want to test the sucking method, after you finish, blow the lines and see what comes out. A small spitting might happen but if you get a blurp of water, it didn't work. I never did the test but as I said there were no problems. I will admit to a bit of worry the first spring however.

If you have an electric toilet using tank water, do it last. You don't want the valve open so it sucks air. All lines have to be closed except the one your working on. Cycle the pump when you get to it to get that valve open.

In over 50 years of winterizing my boat water systems, I have never used antifreeze in my fresh water tank and never will.

And I have never had a failure.

Doug
      Started boating 1955
      Number of boats owned 32
      Bayliners
      3870 presently owned
      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I have always used the antifreeze method it works for me.
        1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

well, letsee . . . . I pump out all the water I can with the normal system pump, then I drain the hot water tank and add antifreeze to the tank, activate pump until I see "pink at the sink", then I drain hot water again until I see pink . . . . .. also pull off the hoses to the AC recirculating pump and the sea filter (open drain plug at bottom) . . . . finally, wipe up all the water/oil/gunk in the bilge and let'er sit for the winter . . .
          1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
          Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
          WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
          James H. Stradling

Comment

I'm a proponent of using air. I hate having antifreeze contaminate my drinking water.

Air can't freeze, has no bad taste, requires no flushing in the spring and costs nothing at all. A small compressor will do it, or a shop vac blowing in reverse. I haven't tried Doug's method using the onboard potable water pump but it's clearly another good way that keeps antifreeze out of your water tank and water heater.

And it's free too.

This discussion comes up every year. Here's one recent thread.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
              I'm a proponent of using air. I hate having antifreeze contaminate my drinking water.

Air can't freeze, has no bad taste, requires no flushing in the spring and costs nothing at all. A small compressor will do it, or a shop vac blowing in reverse. I haven't tried Doug's method using the onboard potable water pump but it's clearly another good way that keeps antifreeze out of your water tank and water heater.

And it's free too.

This discussion comes up every year. Here's one recent http://"http://www.baylinerownersclu... <br /> thread.
              I prefer the compressor just for the fact of blowing warm air from the compressor through the lines absorbs more water.

For my AC I had a rubber tit that fit the through hull and I blew that out backwards

Comment

Which ever method you use I would still use Peg Hall's method in the spring to commission the water system.

Ken
                Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
                The village idiot strikes again.

Comment

I drink my water so I use anti freeze. My thinking on this is nothing will grow in the lines if antifreeze (alcohol) is present compared to water droplets (read humid) in a blown out system. In spring a flush and shock treatment with bleach is all that is needed. I do have a bypass valve so the water heater is simply gravity drained via the valve.
                  Cheers, Hans
                  2007 Carver 41 CMY
                  Twin Volvo D6-370
                  Montreal, Canada
                  Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

"

If you choose #2, you'll want to have the WH by-pass valving in place."

You HAVE to have this? Or does it just save the amount of pink stuff? This will be my first time trying to do my own fresh water system .. Later year I had someone else do it and prior to that I only had a cuddy cabin which only needed me to winterize the engine which was easssyy...

Comment

Referring to contamination of the drinking system. Most air compressors expel with the air oil and heavy metal contaminates. If the air compressor is new it will be less but contaminates just the same unless you have an elaborate air cleaning system. .

I have 3 traps and 2 air dryers and still some gets by. If you have an oiless compressor you are still emitting contaminates in the form of Teflon which has been proven to damage the thyroid.

If you are using a straight compressor ( read no trap or maybe one cheap trap) you are contaminating your wafresh water system.
                      twin 454's
                      MV Mar-Y-Sol
                      Twin chevy 350's inboard
                      Ben- Jamin
                      spokane Washington

Comment

yachtman wrote:
                        Referring to contamination of the drinking system. Most air compressors expel with the air oil and heavy metal contaminates. If the air compressor is new it will be less but contaminates just the same unless you have an elaborate air cleaning system. .

I have 3 traps and 2 air dryers and still some gets by. If you have an oiless compressor you are still emitting contaminates in the form of Teflon which has been proven to damage the thyroid.

If you are using a straight compressor ( read no trap or maybe one cheap trap) you are contaminating your wafresh water system.
                        The small 12V compressors that plug into a lighter are oil-less but your point is very valid with a larger home or shop compressor.

Hans you make an excellent point on the growth, that's why I follow Peg's suggestions each year. I think they might be in the vault??

Ken

Comment

Iproff wrote:
                          The small 12V compressors that plug into a lighter are oil-less but your point is very valid with a larger home or shop compressor.

Hans you make an excellent point on the growth, that's why I follow Peg's suggestions each year. I think they might be in the vault??

Ken
                          How much contamination exactly is /would be difficult to be determined . A new compressor would emit less I don't know at what point it would be unsafe or objectionable but contamination just the same. Just something to consider.
                          twin 454's
                          MV Mar-Y-Sol
                          Twin chevy 350's inboard
                          Ben- Jamin
                          spokane Washington

Comment

yachtman wrote:

Oil and seal contaminants are an issue if you are inhaling compressed air from an inappropriate compressor. We stopped waterboarding our guests so nobody is inhaling our potable water anymore.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                              Oil and seal contaminants are an issue if you are inhaling compressed air from an inappropriate compressor. We stopped waterboarding our guests so nobody is inhaling our potable water anymore.
                              Drinking water that does have compressor oil in it would not be to appealing to me. I do have a class D system at home for when I do wood working or working with chemicals.

I can vouch for Mike he did not water board me or Linda while on his boat or his house.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X