Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiff Steering Ideas? Power Steering Pump?-gctid342202

Hi,

The Technical discussion is always so helpful for me so I will see what everyone thinks out there.

I own a Bayliner 3055 Year 2000 and it has pretty stiff steering (usually two hand operation).

First trouble shooting measure I was going to do was buy a new Teleflex steering cable and kit for the boat. At the boat store he said before you buy this go to the engine compartment where the cable stops and goes into the cylinder (sorry don't know the technical name for that) anyway, took it off and moved steering back and forth and it moved nice and freely! Just like I wanted.

I cleaned the telescoping rod and put marine grease etc. and re-installed also where the two engines go back and forth I lubed all the moving joints. Still stiff?

One other note is when I had got gas out of the Port side blower there was some red splashes (the gas attendant first thought it was blood, I thought maby I killed a fish or something) upon further inspection it was some type of fluid (actually reminded me of transmission fluid) but now I think it could be power steering?

A bad power steeering pump would cause stiff steering I assume?

Question: Can someone steer (pun intended) me in the right direction? I'm thinking a split hose or bad power steering pumps? Any trouble shooting measures would be great. I love my boat but this really needs to be correct. Unless it's normally to be pretty stiff? Pictures would be great also I have twim 5.0 Mercruisers Bravo II's.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

1. Check the fluid level on your power steering pump. 2. Look in your bilge for red ATF fluid. If the pump is low or out and there is a bunch of ATF in the bilge; you have a leaking hose or pump. Follow the hoses and you will probably find where the leak is.

Comment

You have a problem if your steering is a two handed affair. Most steering wheels can be turned with one finger.

Power steering systems are fairly trouble free. Most of the problems can be traced back to a lack of oil. When looking at the system, check the following.

The pump is a simple affair. It works or doesn't. Watch the oil levels when replacing it. As it purges the air out of the system, the pump will run out of oil several times and can be damaged. Keep a bottle on the boat and check it the first ten minutes of operation.

The hoses may have leaks. Follow the hoses back to the power steering cooler, looking for drips. There are hose going from the power steering cooler to the steering ram/actuator.

On the hydraulic rams is a grease fitting. This lubricates the actuator valve. When you just start to turn the steering wheel, the actuator trips, sending oil into the ram, making the steering easier. Perhaps this actuator is frozen.

The older Teleflex "Rack" steering cable go bad after a few years. I prefer the rotary "No feed back" steering systems.(for single helms) Here pictures of a cable replacement: http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=32792

If the hydraulic ram/actuator system is damaged, sometimes you see complete units on ebay or the boat recycling places for reasonable prices. They come as a complete unit. Two bolts and disconnect two hoses and it comes off as a unit.

Comment

Mine turned out to be a stiff cable. It's an easy replacement. Teleflex changed their supplier a few years back for this very reason, so I had to change the rack, hub and cable at once, but it sure is sweet now.
        Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Good advice so far, Once I get to the boat I'll do a through inspection (I'm in indoor heated so it will be soon).

I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

did you ever get a resolution to this? I have the same issue, this year its getting worse.

Comment

bump, steve?

Comment

If the cable moves freely when detached from the linkage, you can rule out a stiff cable. On to the hoses, fluid, etc.
                Bob Hawes.
                Kelowna, B.C.
                1998 Trophy 2052 WA
                4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

I developed a bad case of stiff steering in my 2750 when my buddy accidentally over-greased my power steering actuator.

Comment

We swapped the power steering pump from the port side to the Starboard side but still the same result.

Only thing really left is the "Ram Actuator" arm. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser-S...f3d058&vxp=mtr

I'll let you know how it goes.

Steve

Comment

Bayliner 3-0-5-5 wrote:
                      We swapped the power steering pump from the port side to the Starboard side but still the same result.

Only thing really left is the "Ram Actuator" arm. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser-S...f3d058&vxp=mtr

I'll let you know how it goes.

Steve
                      Sounds good let me know how it goes. I have heard ram or cables from about everything I have read. Both seem to be around the same price to replace so its not too paintful at around 150 bucks.

Comment

Mine went out during a storm when I was switching ports. 1-3 foot forecast changed to 4-8 when I was underway. Hit a big one and no more power streering. Later found I blew two inline fuses. Power steering back.

Comment

Working...
                        X