Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!! On the boat now!! 00 bayliner 2855 batteries going dead with shore power??-gctid360290

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!! On the boat now!! 00 bayliner 2855 batteries going dead with shore power??-gctid360290

Recently purchased 2000 ciera 2855. First day at its new slip the wife and i were plugged in to shore power running the A/C, battery charger, a shop vac, and a few interior lights all at the same time. After a couple hours the A/C was barely moving any air. I shut everything down and tried to start the boat. Both batteries dead. Plugged the boat back into shore power and left everything off except the battery charger switch. The little green lights on the electrical panel barely flickering green, off and on. After 30 minutes of charging the batteries, the boat fired right up.

Im not sure how many amp the outlets are on our dock, but my suspicion is its not enough to power all these appliances at once, thus draining the batteries while plugged into shore power. I cant think of anything else. Both batteries are less than 2 years old. Can someone explain the dim flickering of the green lights on the elec panel when plugged into shore power??

From the sound of it, the AC is dropping shore power voltage enough to stop the charger from working.

Running a few interior lights for a few hours should not have been enough to drain 2 fairly new batteries though.

I would first check the battery water levels.

If water is ok, then start checking battery connections.

After that, start suspecting the charger itself.

The dim green flickering is fairly normal, red is not.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Battery levels are good. Im also hearing something electrical kick on once every 30 seconds or so and runs for approx 1 second. Sounds like a pump of some sort? Its very brief but consistent.

Comment

Mystery pump noise is the shower drain pump kicking on and off. I just poured a bucket of water down the drain and the pump came on and ran for appprox 10 seconds. I heard water discharging out the side of the boat. The pump then shut off and began its 30 second cycles of 1 second operation.

Comment

RMSLLC wrote:
          Thanks for the quick reply. Battery levels are good. Im also hearing something electrical kick on once every 30 seconds or so and runs for approx 1 second. Sounds like a pump of some sort? Its very brief but consistent.
          Some bilge pumps have an internal electronic water sensor (instead of a float switch), and will turn on every 5 minutes or so for a few seconds to check for the presence of water. Every 30 seconds sounds odd.

Comment

I'd check your power supply. You may be paying for 30 or 50 amps, but are you getting it? Check both at the supply and at the end of your cord.

Comment

How is your cord set up? I had to replace some old cords that had some unknown issue. Something to consider.... Also at my slip my breaker was old and weak, I made them replace it.

Comment

The boats power cables are original but seem to be in good condition. Im using an extension cord from the power outlet to my boats power cables. Extension cord is not getting hot or anything.

On a side note, how does the toilet work? There is a sea **** under the stairs, is that for the toilet? Because it is closed at the moment.

Comment

on my boat the seacock is under the stairs for the toilet. It will take fresh water in and flush it with your waste into the waste tank.

If your shower sump is running constantly im guessing you have a bad float.

Comment

My 2855 shower pump is switched, not float activated - check for a switch on the side of the vanity.

Comment

Are you dead certain the shower sump is the one you're hearing? Have you put your hand on it to check that you feel it when you hear it? It's FAR more likely that the intermittent pump you hear is the potable water pump.

Comment

This issue is very strange, IMO.

While on S/P your O/B charger should easily keep up with any O/B 12 vdc demands.... if the charger is working correctly.

S/P should also be capable of the O/B AC current demands.

Even if S/P is dropping the Charger out of the loop, there is a 12 vdc demand somewhere.... and not a small one.

whiskywizard wrote:
                        Are you dead certain the shower sump is the one you're hearing? Have you put your hand on it to check that you feel it when you hear it? It's FAR more likely that the intermittent pump you hear is the potable water pump.
                        + 1 and your potable water system is leaking down rather quickly if it's cycling every 30 seconds or so.

This too should have a shut off switch.

If the shower pump is cycling, it's likely doing so because the over-board dump hose is flowing backwards, and re-exciting the float switch, if so equipped. As said.... this should also have a switch somewhere.

I'd say that you have several issues that are perhaps masking themselves as one.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Your shower sump pump is under your step at the base of the stairs. The sea **** with is the sea water supply to your toilet. as stated your sump is switched in the head. If I remember correctly your fresh water pump for domestic water is switched at the galley. Rocker switch. The pump cycling is is either a leak down of your fresh water or possibly a bilge pump cycling. Your toilet pumps directly into your holding tank and the only way to empty it is with the pump out fitting or using your maserator pump. Two switches under your throttle that have to operated simultaneously to run the pump. Your battery charger if original is just sufficient, I think mine was 20 amp. With a 30 amp cord especially with an extension cord means you will have manage your power usage. The Alcohol/ electric stove when used on electicity will almost max your supply. If you combine electric heaters your hot water heater ect. you run out of electricity quickly. There is also loss caused by line length that will when you use extension cords that won't necessarily cause heat. I believe you have a bilge pump with a float switch under your stairs as well that could be cycling but I would think you would hear water splashing as all of your discharge fitting are above your water line. A leaking faucet or water fitting could cause cycling of your water pump. I have had water pump switches fail as well and cause pump cycling. Your battery switch should allow you to isolate your two batteries. Unfortunately your house DC and engine are not set up as separate systems and everything runs through a 50 breaker at the back of your engine. A good future project would be to isolate the house system from your engine. You could then add a third battery giving you two for your house and a starting battery isolated from your house system.

Comment

The pump is definitely the shower pump. I dumped several 5 gallon buckets of water down the shower drain and let it pump all that and it seems to have solved the cycling on and off of the pump. The previous owner claims to have never used the toilet or shower on the boat. Who knows how long its been since all these systems were run. Perhaps the float was sticking like some of you have mentioned. However flushing it with several gallons of water seemed to solve the problem.

The air conditioner/shore power has me confused. I strongly suspect these outlets at my dock are low amperage. The air conditioner will run full blast for about 30 minutes and then the blower gradually slows to the point that its barely blowing at all. I can shut everything down, wait a few minutes, and start the a/c again and it will blow hard for a while and work its way back down over 30 minutes or so.

Comment

Perhaps your AC is freezing up. I have had this problem as have others. Have you inspected it when running? Also check the air filter. When it is hot I have to cycle mine from time to time to keep it from freezing. Also, cooling a few degrees at a time works. Your unit may have an auto cycle setting on it that automates the process to prevent freeze up.

Comment

Working...
                              X