Swim Platform Dimensions 1994 2859-gctid360172

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swim Platform Dimensions 1994 2859-gctid360172

Does anyone know or have quick access to measure the width of the factory swim platform on a 1994 2859? The dimension from the edge closest to the transom to the outside of the platform.

Thanks!

Why yes I do... (What a small world)Here ya go...

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/663250=25307-2859 Swim Step.jpg[/img]
    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Awesome, thanks! I figured this would be easier then a 2 hr round trip to the boat.

Comment

Luckily I drew those up for someone else last year.

iBoatNW

Comment

SomeSailor wrote:
          Luckily I drew those up for someone else last year.
          That would be me. And thanks again for all of your help on that project.

Comment

Thanks. Still going around in circles trying to decide how to mount a 9.9 kicker.

1) fixed adventure marine or custom fab bracket directly on the swim platform.

Pros: Quick, Easy

Cons: May need bigger slip or have to remove the kicker after each trip. With a 20" shaft may have trouble keeping the prop in the water in choppy conditions.

2) remote troll - swim platform mount with 3 or 6" drop.

Pros: Still a pretty simple install. Will drop the prop further into the water for better bite and maybe reverse. Can steer from anywhere in the cockpit.

Cons: Will definetely put the kicker too far back to fit in a 30' slip.

3) Direct to transmon

Pros: Most permanent install. Get's motor in best position. Won't add much if any additional length to OAL.

Cons: Have to modify swim platform. Probably remove entire port half of platform. Have to relocate battery charger, trim tab pump to find area big enough on inside of transon for proper mounting.

3) Notch an area of the swim platform to move the mount closer to the transom for either option #1 or #2.

Pros: solves the issue of adding to OAL.

Cons: Not sure if this leaves enough platform for mounting.

Comment

Shorten the swimstep. Greg can provide some pics of his project. That's what mine had and why I took the measurements for him. It's a really nice way to mount a kicker to a 2859.

iBoatNW

Comment

keithjabber wrote:
                Thanks. Still going around in circles trying to decide how to mount a 9.9 kicker.

1) fixed adventure marine or custom fab bracket directly on the swim platform.

Pros: Quick, Easy

Cons: May need bigger slip or have to remove the kicker after each trip. With a 20" shaft may have trouble keeping the prop in the water in choppy conditions.

2) remote troll - swim platform mount with 3 or 6" drop.

Pros: Still a pretty simple install. Will drop the prop further into the water for better bite and maybe reverse. Can steer from anywhere in the cockpit.

Cons: Will definetely put the kicker too far back to fit in a 30' slip.

3) Direct to transmon

Pros: Most permanent install. Get's motor in best position. Won't add much if any additional length to OAL.

Cons: Have to modify swim platform. Probably remove entire port half of platform. Have to relocate battery charger, trim tab pump to find area big enough on inside of transon for proper mounting.

3) Notch an area of the swim platform to move the mount closer to the transom for either option #1 or #2.

Pros: solves the issue of adding to OAL.

Cons: Not sure if this leaves enough platform for mounting.
                Yeah I went the long way around starting with a couple of different swim step mounts and ended up shortening the swimstep and mounting the kicker to the transom. You are right I never could get the kicker to bite in any kind of a chop when mounted on the swimstep. I did have to relocate the battery charger a smidge, but nothing else had to be moved. It is by far the best option IMO.

Here is a link to my project.

http://"http://www.baylinerownersclu...wimstep resize

Comment

Building a plug at this time 36in deep for 93 2855, I will take pictures as we go step buy step.
                  Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                  96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Hi all 1st mistake of the day, the swim step plug is for a 2859, have a good day
                    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

The cool thing about the 2859 is they can be cut down and almost invisibly bonded back together.

iBoatNW

Comment

Guys,Got the swim platform off today (man do they overdo the silicone bonding it to the transmon, never thought we would get it to let go).Laid out a quick CAD Sketch of the left side of the platform after the modifications you guys mentioned. I show a fairly large mismatch in the large outside radius between the two pieces. Am I misunderstanding where you made your cuts or was this evident also when you fitted the pieces together? If so, how did you hide this mismatch?

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/664487=25492-swimstep modified drawing.jpg[/img]

Comment

fritzman wrote:
                          Building a plug at this time 36in deep for 93 2855, I will take pictures as we go step buy step.
                          What is a swimstep "plug"?

Comment

keithjabber wrote:
                            Guys,Got the swim platform off today (man do they overdo the silicone bonding it to the transmon, never thought we would get it to let go).Laid out a quick CAD Sketch of the left side of the platform after the modifications you guys mentioned. I show a fairly large mismatch in the large outside radius between the two pieces. Am I misunderstanding where you made your cuts or was this evident also when you fitted the pieces together? If so, how did you hide this mismatch?

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
                            Hi Keith,I lined up the outside (stern) edge of the swimstep. The inside edge needs to be parallel to the transom which has an angle to it.Notice the angle of the tab on the right of this pic. I added a piece of plywood to the left side and then trimmed it to match the taper of the transom. In this pic the tab on the left side has not yet been trimmed.Hope this helps,Greg

Comment

Ahh, I see.

I found you thread on the 2859'er site and that has a lot more helpful info.

One question. Do you know what the reverse angle of the transom is at that point? I saw you had to have your OB bracket modified, hoping to avoid this. I have some adjustment on my outboard, don't know if it's enough though.

Comment

Working...
                              X