Unidentified leak into the head area - 2452-gctid359830

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unidentified leak into the head area - 2452-gctid359830

This leak is driving me insane! Rainwater is somehow getting into the head... it's accumulating on the floor, with no signs of dripping down from the window, rub rail, or cleat (if it was the rub rail or cleat, then I would see signs of water running down the monkey fur). It looks like there is literally nowhere for this water to come from. I thought it was coming from under the rear deck compartment, then draining into the hose leaking to the fridge (this hose runs in the corner between the head floor and side of the hull), but I sealed this up and the problem persists. The window drains are also clear and functioning. What could it be??????

I once had rainwater leaking in to my head thru the powered vent/exhaust. The outside SS grill didn't have any gasket or seal, and a very small bit of rainwater leaked in each time it rained, till the flex hose eventually filled up, then started comming out the vent in the head. It collected on the floor, but it took a while till I found the cause.

Comment

If you have access to a water source, and a garden hose, try flooding each area independently. Flood the area around the rub rail for 5 minutes. Turn the water off, wait for awhile and see if any water appears. Next flood the area of the cleats and stantion brackets. Give this time and check........ and so on, right on up. Starting on the bottom gives you an obvious advantage. This method has usually worked for me when sourcing leaks in houses, but will work on most anything.

You mention the possibility of under-deck water making it's way forward. This is a very real possibilty. There are lots of little holes that aren't visible to the eye connecting various compartments.

If you have standing water in one area that you suspect as being the source, put a little food coloring in it and see if your nuisance water becomes the same color.
      Bob Hawes.
      Kelowna, B.C.
      1998 Trophy 2052 WA
      4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Not sure what year your 2452 is but I had a similar problem on my '96 2452. There are a couple of sources for the leak...

One is the faucet connection under the sink may be less than hand tight.

Two and probably the culprit... open the engine compartment and look on the port side forward bulkhead (under the pax seat). You should see a PVC pipe that allows water pipes to run between the cabin and aft cockpit. That pipe needs to be sealed with chalk otherwise water will run from the engine bay forward to the cabin and under the sink area. It will back up into the head under that forward bulkhead between the sink cabinet and the head.

Hope that helps...
        Doug ;}
        MMSI: 338068776
        "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Another possibility is leaking raw water pickup in the head or the gaskets that make up head pump assembly. Also if your head has some water in the bowl, it may be spilling when under way and causing these mystery puddles.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I'll check that pvc from the rear hatch area, and hose down the area to check for leaks soon. Ironically, I'm gonna wait until it stops raining before I bring the boat home to check it out... I hate working on the boat in the rain!

Comment

Working...
            X