Anyone Install a Windlass on (39)99 2855??-gctid359817

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Install a Windlass on (39)99 2855??-gctid359817

Hello all! I bought a '99 Ciera 2855 at the very end of last season. It does not have a windlass and I'd like to add one. However, the way the '99 is designed with the integrated anchor pulpit makes it difficult to imagine how to do it. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Pictures of successful installations would be awesome!

On the '99, the anchor is drawn through the pulpit and the shank lays in a shallow trough. The anchor rode cleat (which is also the bow line cleat) is mounted inside the end of that trough. The windlass would need to be mounted so that the rode is pulled within the center of the trough, but loaded into the locker on one side of the trough.

The Bayliner designers also obviously felt that the 2855 requires no chain in the rode since they specified a plastic hawse pipe and no chain lock. In addition, there is only a single cleat at the end of the trough to which you must tie both the anchor rode and bow line. What were they thinking?

Here is a picture of a 2855 bow (not mine). There is a windlass on this one and you can see the trough, but the windlass is a bit in the way of the bow line.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/662788=25247-2855bow.jpg[/img]

The install shown looks to be pretty far forward for my likings. We want the rode to drop within the aft-most area of the rode locker when possible.

Otherwise, the rode may pile up more towards the forward area, and not fall as it should.

When the drop is not correct, the dang windlass becomes less hands-free, and you'll find yourself untangling rode while retrieving.

That cleat location looks like it may need to be sacrificed, IMO.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I eliminated the cleat on mine. I have a 3055 but the layout is similar. The only thing I used that cleat for was holding the anchor.
      Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
      1998 3055 Ciera
      (yes, a 1998)
      Previous boat: 1993 3055
      Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
      Sea Doo XP
      Sea Doo GTI SE
      Life is short. Boats are cool.
      The family that plays together stays together.
      Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
        The install shown looks to be pretty far forward for my likings. We want the rode to drop within the aft-most area of the rode locker when possible.

Otherwise, the rode may pile up more towards the forward area, and not fall as it should.

When the drop is not correct, the dang windlass becomes less hands-free, and you'll find yourself untangling rode while retrieving.

That cleat location looks like it may need to be sacrificed, IMO.
        Thanks for the response! The photo is of a 2855 in the UK that just happened to have a windlass - it was the best photo of the 2855 bow I could find since my boat is in storage 70 miles away. I was looking for a picture without a windlass. That windlass is also installed straddling the trough, which doesn't seem very stable.

I agree. The single cleat is ridiculous since you've got to attach both your anchor and bow mooring lines to it. I will probably have to put the windlass where the cleat is and install port and starboard mooring cleats.

Comment

Working...
        X