Prop missing parts?-gctid359684

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prop missing parts?-gctid359684

There's about. 1/2 an inch of movement when my prop is installed on the shaft. Like its too short or a spacer is missing. In the pictures its also clear that my hub has released from the prop. This happened at the end of last summer. I'm wondering if any parts are missing or if some wrong part has been installed

Thanks for reading

Matt

To add

The prop is a Michigan wheel smc 295 15x21 also when the prop spun it fell out of the hub just enough to snug it up against what looks like the spacer

Comment

Matt, that is a long blade housing/short hub propeller. The three slots used for folding over the tab washer tells us this.

It looks like the outer prop housing has moved aft from the inner hub. This is why you're using the aft-most piece of the 2 pc spinner.

With this prop, you should be using the full spinner (or both pieces of the 2 pc spinner), not the aft cone piece alone.

The prop needs to be repaired.

Make sure that the spacer/line cutter is the long one............. the short one will not work for this prop shaft.

The one that you show does look correct.

21 pitch prop, eh? Hmmm!!! I'm surprised for this hull.

Are you sure that your ratio is 1.61:1?

There is a 1.89:1 that may allow you to run a 21 pitch.... but would be incorrect for the AQ260 engine.
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

well it does run well with this prop, doesnt need wot or tabs to get on plane on a nice day. goes about 27 knots at wot. unless im mistaken and this isnt very good performance. now the original owners manual doesnt even spec a volvo AQ 260 engine (yes i have the orginal however weathered manual) the engine it specs is the Volvo 255B which appears to be the same engine but does also spec the 15x21 prop the other option is the Merc 260 which uses the 17 a4

then again theres no real way i guess of knowing whether this is the right manual either... the back of the book says 1979 model year but mines a 1980...... odd

how would i tell the difference between a 255b and a 260a?

i have lots of brochures about the volvo AQ260. that came with the boat. it was originally used for charter fishing out of maine and the clock says 1500 hours. i wouldnt be surprised if there was a repower somewhere along its life and maybe the wrong prop is on now.

Comment

not sure if this number helps but 82644771 was on the engine.... serial number?? all i can find without actually going back up there. hull Id is BLBA135C06790

also when the prop shifted aft of the hub i was on plane and i havent been on plane since... took about an hour to limp home.... i think i'm gonna replace the prop altogether... i heard the ones with the rubber absorb any shock and could save gears one day. and for $130 its so easy just to buy a new prop.

edit: also wondering if that prop has spun before... maybe the cone is worn down... maybe order another cone...

so when i order the prop i order i short hub prop? im guessing if i can get on plane with a 21" pitch then i should stay there? higher pitch gives higher top speed?

the 2 piece spinner you talked about? is that the spacer thats shown in the shop manual for short hub propellers? if so im guessing i need to order that aswell

thanks for any input

Matt

Comment

Your HIN suggests 1979.

Mattmm wrote:
            it specs is the Volvo 255B which appears to be the same engine but does also spec the 15x21 prop the other option is the Merc 260 which uses the 17 a4

then again theres no real way i guess of knowing whether this is the right manual either... the back of the book says 1979 model year but mines a 1980...... odd

1.... how would i tell the difference between a 255b and a 260a?
            1... A few good photos of the engine, exhaust and the outside of the transom shield, and I may be able to tell you.

http://"http://www.marinepartseurope...this site,</b> and click on both models. Then view the parts schematics.

For your final drive ratio, remove the ring anode, wire brush the prop shaft bearing carrier, and the ratio will be stamped there.
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

ah ok... thanks.. did some research and i understand a bit better now... its the spacer that was missing that is for short hubs, so when i replace with a long hub propeller i no longer need that spacer... the missing spacer was also why the prop slid on the shaft even when the cone was tightened.... heres some pics of the transom shield. i have used the aq260 manuals right through and havent had any surprises or extra parts... maybe the differences are subtle.

Comment

Mattmm wrote:
                ah ok... thanks.. did some research and i understand a bit better now... 1..... its the spacer that was missing that is for short hubs,

2.... so when i replace with a long hub propeller i no longer need that spacer... the missing spacer was also why the prop slid on the shaft even when the cone was tightened....

3.... heres some pics of the transom shield. i have used the aq260 manuals right through and havent had any surprises or extra parts... maybe the differences are subtle.
                1..... Matt, the prop shaft determines which spacer length is used.... not the propeller.

The confusion is with people (even prop shops) who refer to these as short/long shafts.

They are short/long shafts until the correct spacer is installed.

With the correct spacer, all s/p prop shafts "net" the same length of exposed shaft and splines!

http://"http://www.tacomapropeller.c...ter.... :eek:) (see images at bottom of page)

250, 270, 275 prop shafts all require the short spacer/line cutter..... no matter which propeller hub is used.

(but there's a catch with the 250 and 270 not being internally threaded for use with the long hub prop)

Since your 280 shaft is internally threaded, it won't affect you..... you can use either hub prop.

280, 285, 290, SP and so on, all require the long spacer/line cutter..... and agin, no matter which propeller hub is used.

You need the long spacer.

Long hub/short hub prop..... the shaft still determines the spacer.

Long hub/short hub prop does determine which spinner to use.

Short hub prop always uses the full spinner or both parts of the 2 pc spinner.

Long hub prop must use the aft-most part of the 2 pc spinner ONLY.... and must be cable of using the center locking bolt.

2.... Matt, unless I'm not seeing this, or not understanding your prop, it does not appear to be a long hub prop.

Long hub props do not allow any shaft splines to protrude through the hub.... and I know that yours does not, but I'm thinking that this is due to a shifted inner hub.

Do you own a good spare prop that you can fit?

3.... That is an AQ 225 or AQ260. If OEM with a 5.7L, then it's a 260.

Not sure which letter designation.... but definitely a 95mm exhaust system, and double relief transom shield.

So much of what you need would be from the AQ260 schematics.

Here is a AQ series 15x15 LH Long Hub propeller.

Note:

splines are not machined all the way aft through the inner hub.

no elongated cut outs for folding locking tab washer tabs over.

This prop is used with the rear section of the 2 pc spinner

... or IOW, minus this part

Edit:

Here is an image of both style spinners and of both types and lengths of spacer/line cutters.

The full spinner on the left works for the standard hub propeller and for any prop shaft.

The spinner on the right works for either standard or long hub propellers depending if you use both or just the aft portion.

If the aft portion ONLY is used, the center locking bolt must be used.... but not all prop shafts are internally threaded.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo....jpg&#91;/IMG]

The longer spacer (left side) is for the 280, 285, 290 SP etc. ........ the shorter spacer (right side) is for the 250 thru 275.

Below are the two shaft lengths.

280, 285, 290, SP etc. on the left...... 250, 270, 275 on the right side.

As said, when the correct spacer is installed, the net length is the same.

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg&#91;/img] http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg&#91;/img]
                Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                X