Lowrance Elite-5m Gold Bundle Color Chartplotter?-gctid359294

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowrance Elite-5m Gold Bundle Color Chartplotter?-gctid359294

Looking for a chartplotter that wont break the bank. Want to flush mount it in the dash of my 96 2655. Anyone own one of these lowrance 5m? Or something like it? What are other people useing on their 2655? I have a cheap fish finder that works well enough and want a chart plotter , I dont like the split screen models.

I have had Lowrance in the past and had good performance.
    Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410

Comment

We had a '96 2655 with a Std Horizon 190. It worked well, but I don't think you could "flush mount" anything on your 2655 dashboard.

Had a Lowrance HDS-7 on our 2855 and it was a great unit, but quite a few more $'s. Looked at the Elite series, but they were just too small.

IMHO, Standard Horizon is the best bang for your buck for what you have described. Check out the CP-190's.

Comment

I am Lowrance based in my Trophy, X-107CDF FF, GlobalMap 6600c GPS Chartplotter, LMF 400 General Purpose Guage, Fuel Flow & Level Sensors, and Trim Tab sensors. My Trophy has had 3 generations of Lowrance products. The Good -- Excellent Quality & Functionality & Networking. The Bad -- When Needed, Customer Support at Times Bites The Big One. If you are looking to NOT BREAK the Bank, look at used on fleabay. That's how I have "Upgraded Components" in the past and will probably do in the future. Two Must Haves are Color & Networking.

Comment

I have the Elite 5 DSI which is a combination of the chartplotter of the 5m plus a DSI depth guage, it actually stays on the chart view all the time so is just like a 5m but with depth and water temperature shown on screen too.

Its a great unit, its limited to NMEA0183 so can't communicate that well with other equipment but it can send GPS position information to a DSC VHF radio and its also limited to the Gold Navionics maps but for most purposes they're more than good enough.

The HDS models have bigger highr resolution screens, can talk NMEA2000 and can use the Navionics Platinum (3D contour) maps and are fully networkable and more scalable but you pay a lot more for those features.

Then again, paying extra for features that you'll never need or use is wasting money, the Elite 5m is a great unit if you just want a simple plotter with maybe a link to your DSC radio too.

Comment

Lowrance warranty isn't worth a whole lot either!

Humminbird gives much better support in my experience and pricing is about the same.

Comment

rc42a wrote:
              I have the Elite 5 DSI which is a combination of the chartplotter of the 5m plus a DSI depth guage, it actually stays on the chart view all the time so is just like a 5m but with depth and water temperature shown on screen too.

Its a great unit, its limited to NMEA0183 so can't communicate that well with other equipment but it can send GPS position information to a DSC VHF radio and its also limited to the Gold Navionics maps but for most purposes they're more than good enough.

The HDS models have bigger highr resolution screens, can talk NMEA2000 and can use the Navionics Platinum (3D contour) maps and are fully networkable and more scalable but you pay a lot more for those features.

Then again, paying extra for features that you'll never need or use is wasting money, the Elite 5m is a great unit if you just want a simple plotter with maybe a link to your DSC radio too.
              Are you sure about that NMEA 0183/2000? As I understand Lowrance Networking, Blue Connectors are 0183, and Red Connectors are True NMEA 2000. And the Blue Connectors can really "Communicate NMEA 2000" but are NOT PHYSICALLY NMEA 2000. The Red Connectors are Physically & Software Wise NMEA 2000. The reason I bring this up is that my Lowrance Network is both Blue & Red and is connected via a "Cross Over Cable." And my Blue Connector based GlobalMap 6600c communicates well with my Uniden Oceanus VHF.

Swamp Thang is the Real Lowrance guru around BOC even though his Network is Much Shorter Than Mine.

Comment

Hi JohnQ, I wanted to use the "Track Your Buddy" feature of my Lowrance LVR-880 DSC VHF radio but found that I can't with my Elite 5 DSI as the latter doesn't support NMEA2000. The NMEA0183 works fine and the DSC radio can pick up the GPS position from the chart plotter without problems, its been a while since I wired it but I don't think any other options were available to me.

The link below lists the Lowrance head units that do support NMEA2000 and none of the Elite range are listed, your GlobalMap 6600C is listed with full support though.

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mar...nits-Displays/

Comment

Working...
                X