Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

garball wrote:
    • 1 wrote:
    • Man, all this testing is time I'd spend fishing with a good 'thru hull' transducer. Do you know how easy it is to core a hole and mount one?
    • PS: Drill hole when boat is out of water

• 1 wrote:
    • My thoughts also, Gary..... that's why I suggested that a 3055 is deserving of a true "Thru Hull" ducer.

Most boats near 28' and up will have a pre-determined area all ready for a Thru Hull ducer installation.

Even my old 2850 was built with this area formed into the hull.
    • Are you sure?

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Steve, I installed a thru-hull on my 3055 last season and was amazed at the results vs. the shoot-thru style which was an OEM Larwrence unit.
      Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
      1998 3055 Ciera
      (yes, a 1998)
      Previous boat: 1993 3055
      Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
      Sea Doo XP
      Sea Doo GTI SE
      Life is short. Boats are cool.
      The family that plays together stays together.
      Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

itsabowtime2 wrote:
        Steve, I installed a thru-hull on my 3055 last season and was amazed at the results vs. the shoot-thru style which was an OEM Larwrence unit.
        It's probably tough to compare one brand/quality with another brand/quality regarding S/T -vs- T/H ducers.

I think that in order to be fair, you'd need to compare the same make/model Depth Sounder/Fish Finder head unit..... with both S/T and T/H ducers connected.

Difference now being the "Ducer" type only.

My decision became easy once I spoke with the experts at Rodgers Marine Electronics here in Portland..... plus the hull had been previously bored for a T/H.

I'd still have done it had it not been!
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

True, not apples to apples comparison.

But I can say that the thru-hull has yet to not give a reading. The shoot-thru and the transom mounted would both blank out from time to time.
          Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
          1998 3055 Ciera
          (yes, a 1998)
          Previous boat: 1993 3055
          Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
          Sea Doo XP
          Sea Doo GTI SE
          Life is short. Boats are cool.
          The family that plays together stays together.
          Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

One thing I am sure of it is best to drill a hole below the water line when the boat is out of the water.

About the difference between a through hull and a shoot thru the hull application.

I have a very good Raymarine through hull transducer. A large brass thing that cost the former owner about $1200 installed.

I have 2 inexpensive Humminbird units, one upper and one lower that are shoot through the hull mounted as I suggested.

In 200 feet of water they will be within 1 foot of the other and I think that difference is where they are placed in the boat.

Given my choice, I would mount the Raymarine unit glued to the inside of the hull and avoid another hole in the hull.

I would lose the paddle wheel speed function that isn't worth a darn anyway. Also temps but I don't fish with this boat so the temps aren't of much value either.

If a boat is to ever be trailered, caution should be made that the transducer will never come in contact with the trailer. Even with a miss while loading.

Doug
            Started boating 1955
            Number of boats owned 32
            Bayliners
            3870 presently owned
            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

dmcb wrote:
              ............ If a boat is to ever be trailered, caution should be made that the transducer will never come in contact with the trailer. Even with a miss while loading.

Doug
              Very true!

This ends up being a non-issue for me, as my bunks clear this with space to spare......, but is definitely something to be considered.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Doug is correct there. If it's just for finding the bottom, I'd just mount it TO the hull. If you're fishing, or concerned with following the bottom at speed, maybe a through hull would be worth it. If you mount a through-hull, you have to be aware of it all the time the boat is out of the water. They can be damaged pretty easily.
                Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

I agree with Doug and Somesailer, if all you want is a depth reading go with the in hull or shoot thru hull as some call them. I prefer that P79 for its ease of compensating for hull deadrise and if the transducer go bad it can be replaced using the original housing.

Rick, I just want to point out that the attachment you have in post 6 contains incorrect info. Airmar recommends using the following to attach the P79 housing, silicone sealant, fiberglass resin, 3M's 5200, or Marine-tex epoxy putty. 3M 5200 is perfectly fine to use.
                  John Rupp
                  1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
                  5.8 OMC Cobra

1989 3288
                  Starshine
                  Hino 135

Comment

My only concern with any thick glue like 5200 would be the possibility of a small air bubble being in the mix.

I like resin because it is liquid enough to settle without the added possibility of an air bubble.

Don't forget the angle of the hull. Somehow you have to adjust for that.

Also something to think about. Ease of removal if something is wrong. Just try to remove a factory installed puck and you will see what I mean.

Doug
                    Started boating 1955
                    Number of boats owned 32
                    Bayliners
                    3870 presently owned
                    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

johnrupp wrote:
                      Rick, I just want to point out that the attachment you have in post 6 contains incorrect info. Airmar recommends using the following to attach the P79 housing, silicone sealant, fiberglass resin, 3M's 5200, or Marine-tex epoxy putty. 3M 5200 is perfectly fine to use.
                      John, are you talking about sealing the outer housing down, or the actual placement and securing of the transducer against the fiberglass?

I'd be surprised if the 3M 5200 material offers the density and/or "transparency" needed for ultrasonic signals.

You may be correct, and I'll stand corrected!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                        John, are you talking about sealing the outer housing down, or the actual placement and securing of the transducer against the fiberglass? I'd be surprised if the 3M 5200 material offers the density and/or "transparency" needed for ultrasonic signals.
                        The housing is filled with PG.

http://"http://www.airmartechnology....chures/P79.pdf

iBoatNW

Comment

SomeSailor wrote:
                          The housing is filled with PG.
                          Well that's what I've read.... either PG, minerial spirits, and occasionally bubble-free epoxy.

If so, then that's along the lines of my earlier suggestion to Chief in that the 3M 5200 would not be suitable if in contact with the ducer itself. Yes/No?
                          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Rick and Doug, I agree with the bubbles on a normal puck transducer, see the link posted by SS. With the P79 only the outer housing is "glued" to the hull. By turning it you adjust for deadrise angles from 2 to 22 degrees. Once the "glue" is set you add a little RV antifreeze. The tranducer is then inserted from the top and it twists and locks. If the base is correctly installed the transducer shoots straight down.

To put it a different way, the transducer doesn't shoot thru the "glue" only thru the RV antifreeze and hull. They work great for depth only readings, are easy to install, and very easy to replace the trnsducer unit if it fails.
                            John Rupp
                            1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
                            5.8 OMC Cobra

1989 3288
                            Starshine
                            Hino 135

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                              If so, then that's along the lines of my earlier suggestion to Chief in that the 3M 5200 would not be suitable if in contact with the ducer itself.
                              Check out the link Rick. The housing is glued down with 5200, then filled with PG.

iBoatNW

Comment

SomeSailor wrote:
                                Check out the link Rick. The housing is glued down with 5200, then filled with PG.
                                Mike.... :hammer.... we're both on the same page here, and the same page that I've been on through this entire conversation!

[SIZE]8 wrote:
                                [/SIZE]NO 3M 5200 for attaching the actual transduce to the hull!

The 3M 5200 is not suitable for Quote> "Gluing the ducer down"
                                Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                                X