3888 Tool Storage-gctid491295

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3888 Tool Storage-gctid491295

Now that I got my autopilot working I am thinking that keeping ~150# of mostly iron tools directly above the compass isn't such a good idea.

Any ideas where to keep them? and don't say the bilge in the back of the boat.
    1989 3888
    Nobody gets out alive.

I have a plywood 4 sided box bounted to the aft port side battery box that fits my tool box. Then to the left and above of that is a peg board with hooks and above that a wire basket.

Comment

I used 1 hard tool box and 1 soft bag, like an electrician's carry bag (not a tool belt), and bungied both to the top of the battery box, port side, outboard of the port engine. You almost never have to move them out of your way, yet they're easily reached. Other tools that were used less often, like 18V cutoff wheel, Fein Multimaster, 18V circular saw, and spares - I kept these in their cases under the master berth in the forepeak.

Comment

I have a tool bag that I keep my most often used hand tools & fluke meter, it's stored on the battery box. The large socket set in a folding case & other tools in storage containers are in the compartment next to the headboard in the master berth, a little more weight in the bow. I have a old B&D Workmate folding bench that I brought to the boat this spring it's handy but I'am not sure if I'll leave it on the boat when I'am done because of the problem of storing it.
        Capt. Ron.
        "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
        "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
        1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
        Hino EH700
        Westerbeke 8.0
        1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
        on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

I keep some of my tools in the hatch by the lower helm that has access to the thru hulls. The rest are in the compartment at the end of the mid cabin bed which can be access via a hatch in the salon.
          Sean
          1987 3870
          Crimson Pride II
          Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
          MMSI: 338080226

Comment

I cut a door (12 x 12 inches) in the wall of the mid cabin so I could access under the stairs. Except for the heater, theres a good bit of room in there.

Comment

rbmitchell wrote:
              I cut a door (12 x 12 inches) in the wall of the mid cabin so I could access under the stairs. Except for the heater, theres a good bit of room in there.
              Already hinged the stairs. With the heater in there we still have room for a case of soda.
              1989 3888
              Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Just leave them out. It guarantees you will never need them
                1980 3550 Bristol
                Twin Volvo 60B
                "When mad yell, when really mad curse"

Comment

WorkerB wrote:
                  Just leave them out. It guarantees you will never need them
                  That may work for you...oh wait what did I spend a good chunk of sunday memorial day weekend doing?
                  1989 3888
                  Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

I keep a large tool box on the step above the battery for the generator. Easy to grab but it can get wet.

Comment

Like Sunnydude I cut a hatch in the floor by the lower control station that gives access to the space at the foot of the midship stateroom. There is quite a bit of space there that I wasn't using.

Richard

Comment

Richard Tulip wrote:
                        Like Sunnydude I cut a hatch in the floor by the lower control station that gives access to the space at the foot of the midship stateroom. There is quite a bit of space there that I wasn't using.

Richard
                        At the foot of the guest berth there is a storage area accessed from the berth via a hatch on my boat. Is this a different area than what your referring to?
                        Capt. Ron.
                        "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
                        "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
                        1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
                        Hino EH700
                        Westerbeke 8.0
                        1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
                        on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

I have them stashed in several places based on how often I use them:

Aft port bilge corner in a large plastic tub (sorry, you did not want to hear that! But it is fairly easy access and the tub stows nicely)

tool sets in the original flat plastic cases between the battery boxes and the hull and aft of the battery boxes.

Small plastic storage tub on the deck between the engines. Contains all my stainless hardware also.

Rarely used large items under the forward bunk. Two large plumbing wrenches between the engines to adjust the shaft packings. Though I haven't had to since I put in gortex type packings.

Looks like most everybody has a way to store stuff on the battery box-I have another large plastic tub bungied there as well but mine has rags, BBQ and other lightweight stuff I can move easily out of my way.

Comment

capt.ron,

Yes, that is the area I am referring to. I used the partition by the existing hatch in the floor below the lower helm as a starting point and measured a few inches in for the stbd side cut. The aft cut was a few inches forward of the bulkhead where the hatch to the engines are located. This gave me the aft starting point. Then it was a matter of measuring the dimensions of the storage area at the foot of the bed to determine the port edge of the hatch. I was replacing the carpets so I did not have an issue with repairing the carpet.

Richard

Comment

Richard,

I'm having a hard time visualizing just where you cut the hatch you described. Is this adjacent to the salon on the main entry floor ahead of the already existing engine hatch or down the stairs adjacent to the existing galley floor hatch? Do you have a pic? Thank you.
                              Jim Gandee
                              1989 3888
                              Hino 175's
                              Fire Escape
                              Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Working...
                              X