Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Pilot Install Question-gctid482470

Hey Guys,

I have the nylon, I am guessing, hydraulic lines for my steering. I am also guessing that we all do. Now for the question, for those of you that have installed an auto-pilot, did you have the new lines made from the same type of material, or did you use a rubber hose and with professional type of crimped fitting? I am thinking that using the original type of hydraulic line is perfectly acceptable, and the fact that it is field installable makes the job even easier. Thoughts, comments, slams, and atta-boys are equally welcomed.

As Always, thank you for your support. (Stealing a slogan from Barttles and James)

Rick

Hydraulic hose with crimp on fittings, any hydraulic shop can make them up.

Comment

roelze wrote:
      Hey Guys,

I have the nylon, I am guessing, hydraulic lines for my steering. I am also guessing that we all do. Now for the question, for those of you that have installed an auto-pilot, did you have the new lines made from the same type of material, or did you use a rubber hose and with professional type of crimped fitting?

Rick
      Rick, about 18 years ago when I installed my Auto Pilot on my 1992 3888, I could not find a source for an exact match for the stock hydraulic lines. I mounted auto pilot pump on the post near the reservoir so the three connections (tubes) were going to be very short. I found Polypropylene Tube at the local hardware store, which has been working very well ever since. I recheck the installation recently, the Polypropylene seems to be holding up fine, it has NOT become brittle or soft. Also, Polypropylene Tube seems to work well with standard compression fittings. If I remember correctly, compression fittings were used by Bayline.

The spec's of Polypropylene seem to match my requirements, for example, as can be seen at: http://www.hudsonextrusions.com/poly...ene_tubing.htm .

Others here, may have different ideas or opinions.

Eldonb46

Comment

Rick, witch auto pilot did you go with? Was down on the docks on Monday, Had a nice visit with Pat, Gregs new boat (3288) is still on blocks at Storm Chashers waiting for a Prop:thumb? There just is not a lot of choices for Marine workers in Seward:sorrow: Kevin
        1988 3270
        135 hinos
        Seldovia ALASKA
        KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
        KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
        Marine canvas/Upholstery
        since 1975

Comment

Three T fittings inserted on the 3 main hydraulic lines (self clamping) and three hydraulic lines (same material) from pump to fittings with crimped connectors from local hydraulic shop.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=38998
          NILE
          1989 3288MY 305's US Marine
          Fort Lauderdale Florida

Comment

I used compression fittings with no Issues

Comment

Hey Kevin,

I went with the Garmin GHP 10, all of my gear is Garmin. I like their equipment, and following one brand makes networking a breeze. Storm Chasers is where I kept my boat last winter, nice people there. We'll be down there this weekend, weather is looking good.

Rick

Comment

You will be very happy with it. On most days as soon as the hook is up or we are out of the slip, "Otto" runs the boat for the rest of the day utill it's time to anchor or dock

Comment

I just used crimp fittings and did it myself. I even ran a bit extra long hydraulic lines because I put the pump in the hatch in the floor next to the lower helm

Comment

mrhutt30 wrote:
                    I just used crimp fittings and did it myself. I even ran a bit extra long hydraulic lines because I put the pump in the hatch in the floor next to the lower helm
                    I am thinking of doing the same thing, is the pump very loud, can you hear it from the cabin?

Comment

Can anyone tell me what is the pressure in the hydraulic steering systems on 3888 ?
                      1990, 3888 Motoryacht
                      "Disco Volante"
                      Marina Cervar - Croatia

Comment

On my 32 with Hynautic steering the manual says that the relief valve is set at 950 psi.
                        Terry
                        Br$keAweigh
                        1987 3270
                        H/P - Powell River, B.C.

Comment

According to the Hynautics manual.... if you have the RV-55 reservale installed its a 500psi system.... RV-60 is a 950psi system...

My 38 has h50 helm, K19 actuator and a RV-55... I used soft copper with compression fittings for my pump mounted by the rv-55...

Didnt cut any existing lines... just tee in to existing compression fittings tjhat were disconnected from the RV-55.. with soft copper lines added.. per the hynautics manual...

Comment

Regarding: I am thinking of doing the same thing, is the pump very loud, can you hear it from the cabin?

No I cannot hear the pump at all

Comment

It's a lot of pressure :huh:

no, you will not hear the pump...
                              1990, 3888 Motoryacht
                              "Disco Volante"
                              Marina Cervar - Croatia

Comment

Working...
                              X