Anchor for 3988-gctid357672

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anchor for 3988-gctid357672

Our existing 16 kg. CQR is a little light for our 3988 and we are thinking of acquiring another heavier anchor (20kg ) for the main anchor and using the CQR as a spare. We picked up a used 20kg CQR last year but the shaft was too wide for our roller, so we sold it. We looked at a rocna at the VCR boat show, and were quite impressed, but I am sure it would conflict with the bow sprit on the 39. I am thinking of a 20kg Bruce or Delta. Any 39rs out there have any suggestions on what you use that works well on this model? We have 200ft of chain + 150 ft of rode so scope is not generally a problem.

I know what I am getting. There is a Blaine based anchor warehouse with 20kg stainless Bruce types at $399.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Nakalat wrote:
      Our existing 16 kg. CQR is a little light for our 3988 and we are thinking of acquiring another heavier anchor (20kg ) for the main anchor and using the CQR as a spare. We picked up a used 20kg CQR last year but the shaft was too wide for our roller, so we sold it. We looked at a rocna at the VCR boat show, and were quite impressed, but I am sure it would conflict with the bow sprit on the 39. I am thinking of a 20kg Bruce or Delta. Any 39rs out there have any suggestions on what you use that works well on this model? We have 200ft of chain + 150 ft of rode so scope is not generally a problem.
      I would PM dmcb or perhaps he will see this post, the resident expert in all things related to anchors he has years of experiance and I am sure can give you some great advice

Comment

It is hard to beat the bruce type anchor, you can buy a 44 lb Lewmar at Fisheries supply in Seattle for $182.00 US.

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/produ....aspx?cid=3164
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I have 300 feet 3/8" chain with delta and a Bruce for stern and or backup. Started with Bruce and moved to delta. We anc

We anchor a lot I know delta set better and holds great. But with that Saudi now would go with a rocna.

Comment

For the PNW with the depths that we have to anchor in, we use a 66 lb Bruce on our 38. In my opinion size does matter, and in a blow, it is only your ground tackle that keeps you off the rocks. Contrary to some other opinions, we always set our anchor, and are fearful if we see someone come into "our" anchorage and just lower their anchor with out setting. Just my $0.02
            Bill
            1993 3888 with Hino 210s
            2005 Selene 55

Comment

GGG3988 wrote:
              I have 300 feet 3/8" chain with delta and a Bruce for stern and or backup. Started with Bruce and moved to delta. We anc

We anchor a lot I know delta set better and holds great. But with that Saudi now would go with a rocna.
              Do you plan to modify your bow sprit to accommodate the rocna? I suspect that the hoop on the anchor wil conflict with it, although I have not done any measurements on the anchor to prove it.

Comment

I moved away from a fjord style, to a delta fast set 44# for my 3870. What an improvement!

for what its worth.

tundra_honky

Comment

NAKALAT - I have a 44 lb Lewmar stainless Bruce type anchor that I took off our 490 when we up graded to a 66lb Mason Ray. Our 490 had 175 hrs when we bought it so it is like new. I never used it. New price around $1300, open to offers at less than half of that. Thanks Ted

Comment

playdoughted wrote:
                    NAKALAT - I have a 44 lb Lewmar stainless Bruce type anchor that I took off our 490 when we up graded to a 66lb Mason Ray. Our 490 had 175 hrs when we bought it so it is like new. I never used it. New price around $1300, open to offers at less than half of that. Thanks Ted
                    I will keep that in mind Ted. I am leaning towards a 44# Delta at the moment, assuming that it will fit on my sprit without modifying anything.

Comment

The Rockna will not fit over the bow sprit- I tried. Ended up returning it and going with Delta. Only used a couple of time but seems A-OK. We used to have a Bruce on our previous boat, but had trouble getting it to set sometimes. Just saying.....

Comment

pete oettinger wrote:
                        The Rockna will not fit over the bow sprit- I tried. Ended up returning it and going with Delta. Only used a couple of time but seems A-OK. We used to have a Bruce on our previous boat, but had trouble getting it to set sometimes. Just saying.....
                        That's the feedback I was looking for Capn Pete. Is your Delta a 44lb (20Kg) size?

Comment

No, I have the 35 lbs model. Do have all 5/16 chain however....

Comment

My 39 had the 39 delta fast set, was a good anchor for the boat.

I had to read that post twice about the 38 with a 66# anchor.........holy mokes. :worth

Comment

Bradvo wrote:
                              My 39 had the 39 delta fast set, was a good anchor for the boat.

I had to read that post twice about the 38 with a 66# anchor.........holy mokes. :worth

Yea. Should give the ol' windlass a good workout! Certainly not something you would want to pull up by hand. (Might be good for the chiropractic business.)

Comment

Working...
                              X