Generator starting problem-gctid357546

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator starting problem-gctid357546

Westerbeke 8kw, on mooring, no shore power. I turn gen power switch off at night. In morning, gen volt meter at start panel with pre heat engaged shows only 9 volts, won't start gen. Battery voltage reads 12.7 with voltmeter. Battery is 1 year old, checks good with hydrometer.

Losing voltage between battery and preheat/voltmeter.

Will take battery out and get tested under load, any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, gen battery doesn't appear to charge when main engines are run, is this normal?

Also, gen is not in jumper circuit, why not? I started it by jumping from jumper switch with cable.

Your gen set is wired properly from what I can tell. A few Bayliners with the original battery charger had one of the charging circuits connected to the gen set battery. Usually chargers do not charge gen set battery on most boats. I have never seen a jumper switch to provide added battery for the gen set on any Bayliner from the factory. We happened to be in Puget Sound for a couple of days this week. Our boat has not been started since Sept and only the inverter battery charger has been on all winter to the house/inverter bank only. No charge to start battery or gen battery. Gen battery is 4 years old. Both engines started easily. Gen started easily.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Did you check all connections? After you charge battery with a portable charger, I would use minimal pre heat before it is started. It will only smoke a bit more doing so at start up. On my motorhome I never use the preheat for the diesel engine or the gen set. I only use it on Bayliner becasue it has to be on for the gen set start circuit to work, but use it for a very short time period. It does draw a lot of current.
      Started boating 1965
      Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

On my 38, the generator battery was not connected to either the onboard charger (a ProMariner 40/60), the Hinos, or the inverter/charger (a Xantrex). There is no crossover connection between the generator battery and house/engine batteries. My ProMariner charger was inoperative so I replaced it with a ProSport 20 2-bank charger and connected one of the leads to the generator battery. If your generator battery is not charging while the generator is running then you might want to check the output of the alternator (should be 13.5-14volts), as well as the connections between alternator and battery.

My Westie generator is cold natured. If it sits for a week or more I have to run my preheat from 20-30 seconds before cranking. Usually takes a couple tries before it fires up.
        Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys
        Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
        Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
        MMSI: 338030604

Comment

Check & clean all battery cable connections, the + & - on both ends.
          Capt. Ron.
          "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
          "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
          1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
          Hino EH700
          Westerbeke 8.0
          1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
          on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

My first thought is the battery is defective. Load test your battery. 9 volts is not enough to spin the generator fast enough for a cold start. As stated check your alternator output. It should be 13.7 volts or better. Generator battery is a stand alone as stated. Make sure what ever ghost charging you set up doesn't cook that small starting battery. The main reason the generator battery isn't charged by the mains is that they are busy charging much larger battery banks and would cook your generator battery. Another thing to check is your stop solenoid, make sure it is functioning.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.

I cleaned all the leads and terminals on batteries, solenoids, switches, seems to be working properly now.

Gen alternator charges good, 13-14 volts.

My engine on/off switch would not rotate from on to off position, it was a guest on/off 2 position switch with 3 terminals on back side, feed, bat 1, bat 2. Replaced it with another guest switch, but only 2 terminals, feed and battery. Since the prior switch was either on or off, I don't see any problem using this switch. Hooked 2 battery wires and jumper to bat terminal. Before it was 1 wire to bat 1, 1 wire to bat 2 and jumper lead. Any thoughts?

This is a great website, good to be able to share everyones knowledge and experience!

Comment

You want to know the Gen alternator amps not volts. Does the replaced switch prevent you from isolating your starter battery from your house?
                1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

No, I can turn switch to off isolating starting batteries.

Comment

Working...
                  X