Wet carpet in 4788 master

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet carpet in 4788 master

Driving my newly acquired 4788 to Texas and have wet carpet on port side of master cabin just below the heater vent beneath the hanging locker. Have read through several BOC posts that point to the drain on the port side rope locker as a likely culprit.

If so, how does one get to this drain? Remove the roof panels in the cabin?

Also found some moist wood behind the panels in the hanging locker and in the small cabinet just forward of the hanging locker. Pics of all of it attached.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/783905=37958-image.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/783905=37959-image.jpg[/img]
    Evan
    2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
    League City, TX

Evan, I think you may find the problem is with a leaking port hole or water is washing up/over (underneath) the rub rail. But identify if it is salt water or fresh (rain) first. If it's the porthole, it is either not closed properly or the sealant has degraded/not enough put in when built. I have a similar leak on the s/b side and I believe it's the porthole sealant on mine. You don't notice the trail as for me I think it is underneath the side wall vinyl and it runs to the side wall of the closet. I took the back out of the cabinet and you could see the tell tale moisture trace running down some wires to the base of the cabinet. From there it ends up on the floor/wet carpet outside the ensuite door and visually nowhere else. It had me fooled for a while as all the carpet on the step to the cabinet was dry.

I'm only getting the problem when we are underway in mid level/heavy seas where the waves are washing up the bow of the boat and soaking the porthols/rubrail area. I presume you don't have problems while at the dock with rain water.

Since your issue is on the port side, I'd pull the heater out and see if there is trace wetness coming down inside that cabinet. It may even miss that step and end up on the floor. I'd also roll up some tissue/toilet paper into a "rope" and lay it up that wall area corner, then monitor it to see if that helps isolate it.

The deck rope locker has it's own drain and other than sealant holding the locker in place, mine stays dry with the hatch locked down anyway.

I don't know how to get behind the vinyl head lining over the bed, even if you could, it would be a major task. There is a roof hatch above the master suite door that will give you access to the rear of the instrumentation and pilothouse a/c and wiper motors, but if I remember correctly not the rope locker as it's too far forward.

I'm yet to fix/reseal my porthole leak as I'm unsure how to do it. I guess there are two parts and as the exterior part is over water and I don't want to unscrew the inside screws without a second person on the outside to assist. Maybe if anyone else has removed/resealed portholes, some "how to" advice would be appreciated.

Water leaks are the bane of our lives. Where the water enters and where it is evident can be miles apart. If that's the only leak you have, you've won the lottery!!

Cheers
    John H
    Brisbane QLD Aust
    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

egbauman wrote:
      Driving my newly acquired 4788 to Texas and have wet carpet on port side of master cabin just below the heater vent beneath the hanging locker. Have read through several BOC posts that point to the drain on the port side rope locker as a likely culprit.

If so, how does one get to this drain? Remove the roof panels in the cabin?

Also found some moist wood behind the panels in the hanging locker and in the small cabinet just forward of the hanging locker. Pics of all of it attached.
      Hello Evan,

I have had the leaks show up on the carpet floor on both sides of the master from both the rope locker sealing, the rope locker drain tube and or the rubrail as mentioned by John above.

Start with the simplest, get yourself a power screwdriver and take apart your hanging locker. ( I have left mine apart on both port n Stbd sides and re-positioned the hanger bar higher. This allows you to have a much larger locker and to easily see the inside of your rope lockers from the bottom, also allows you natural light into your locker.

First thing to leak was the locker drain tube, second thing that leaked was the locker caulking , last thing was the rubrail on one side and this was observed during certain rain conditions NOT all.

Simple task and you can then re-assemble to stock or redecorate the interiors as I did and have a much bigger locker....perhaps not as pretty, but much easier to observe and find the true source of your leaks under different conditions.

Hope this helps,

Pete

Comment

More info on the problem...

It is saltwater. We did 14 hours at sea today but deck was dry for nearly all day (very little spray up high). Yet carpet was freshly soaked. So believe its either the rub rail or a port side port light. Will liberally apply sealant tomorrow to hopefully keep it sealed until I can have it properly fixed in Texas.

Docked in Stuart Florida for the next two nights getting prepped for the trip across Florida and on up to Clearwater.
        Evan
        League City, TX

Comment

"More info on the problem...

It is saltwater. We did 14 hours at sea today but deck was dry for nearly all day (very little spray up high). Yet carpet was freshly soaked. So believe its either the rub rail or a port side port light. Will liberally apply sealant tomorrow to hopefully keep it sealed until I can have it properly fixed in Texas."

Hello Evan,

Without any spray up high there are 3 more ways which some salt water can get to that area when underway at speeds through various existing piping.

1. Check to make sure the washer/dryer drain line is not the culprit, look under the bunkbeds lowest storage bins (2) as well as the floor near the port hanging locker. Some have a seacock & some do not and just run to the hull fitting.

2. If you have salt water washdown the hard hoses run to port right past that area on the way to the fwd bow outside rope locker. Try running with the breaker for that pump 'off' and the seacock closed and see if that helps. The seacock is under the port stern cover just about under the bulkhead above.

3. The A/C lines that feed and drain the heat exchanger for the A/C under the master bed run over there as well. Even with the A/C pump 'off' but running on plane their is often enough pressure to have water running through all 3 A/C units. A slow leaking hose or fitting end will eventually leave a good puddle near this unit as well. That is located below the port side bed foot but you can get a good look at it from above by removing the hatches in the bed above. Also can look quickly here by removing the air intake filter on the port side of the master bed frame with 4 screws.

Hope this helps
          Northport NY

Comment

[quote]"steelwrk1" post=479482 wrote:
            egbauman wrote:

Start with the simplest, get yourself a power screwdriver and take apart your hanging locker. ( I have left mine apart on both port n Stbd sides and re-positioned the hanger bar higher. This allows you to have a much larger locker and to easily see the inside of your rope lockers from the bottom, also allows you natural light into your locker.

First thing to leak was the locker drain tube, second thing that leaked was the locker caulking , last thing was the rubrail on one side and this was observed during certain rain conditions NOT all.
            Reviving this old thread....

Any tips on tackling this? At first glance, I don't see where to start in taking the hanging lockers apart from the inside. Does anyone have any pictures to share?

Both rope locker drain tubes seem to be detached on our 4788, and any water in the lockers ends up in the hanging closet.

We also get a wet floor in front of the bathroom when underway, but that seems to be from the window hatches leaking. I'm hunting for instructions on fixing them now...

Thanks!

- Chris
            Chris & Cherie - www.technomadia.com
            "Y-Not" - 1999 Bayliner 4788
            "Zephyr" - 1961 GM PD4106 Vintage Bus RV Conversion

Full-Time nomads since 2006.
            Now spending half of each year slowly doing the Great Loop in our 4788!

Comment

Did you ever get your porthole windows properly sealed? Did that stop the leaking? I am finally getting some time to work on my 490 and the starboard portholes leaking is high on the list.
              Lee
              2007 Meridian 490
              2007 Meridian 368
              1996 2855 Cierra
              1978 Caribbean 26'
              Oceanside, CA

Comment

Originally posted by LeePTI View Post
                Did you ever get your porthole windows properly sealed? Did that stop the leaking? I am finally getting some time to work on my 490 and the starboard portholes leaking is high on the list.
                Lee - I remember writing this when bringing the boat down the Atlantic coast to Florida. We put a lot fo sealant around the portholes which seemed to fix the problem. But we ran into other engine related issues as well and wound up pulling the boat out of the water in Ft. Myers for repairs. While there, they also pulled the portholes and resealed them.

Since then (5 years later!), I now have a leak on the port side forward porthole but it's related to the gasket on the window. I attempted to just replace the entire assembly but could find no porthole that would fit the existing cutout. I'll address the gasket after our weather cools off and I can work with the windows open.
                Evan
                League City, TX

Comment

Hi Evan
                  I replaced our old Bomar hatches with Lewmar low profile hatches.fits in same cutout and used 3M4200 uv .......Hope this helps...Brad
                  Brad & Sharon
                  Lady Jake
                  1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                  LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                  2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                  kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Originally posted by brad4550 View Post
                    Hi Evan
                    I replaced our old Bomar hatches with Lewmar low profile hatches.fits in same cutout and used 3M4200 uv .......Hope this helps...Brad
                    Brad - possible you can provide the Lewmar model #? Thanks.
                    Evan
                    League City, TX

Comment

Hi Evan
                      I did this project so long ago??? Think it was the Low profile #60 .....I would recommend removing old hatch first ,that will give you the true cutout size.Thats what I did.Also you can order their roller shade/screen,it's a great addition ​​​​​​...Good luck...Brad
                      Brad & Sharon
                      Lady Jake
                      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                      2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Hi All,
                        I am trying to source the replacement gaskets presently. Pompanette customer service told me the gasketing should be replaced every 8-10 years. They also told me the hatches on our boat is a 4000 series and no longer made. Nor do they offer replacement gasketing any longer. I have asked them for gasket specs, pictures and original gasket supplier info. Hopefully they will be able to provide info that will enable me to find a source! I’ll report back what I learn.

As an aside, there is a joint of the aluminum extrusion at the top of the porthole frame. The seal of this joint is suspect. The seal on ours is a hard plastic. I’m going to remove this seal, two of the seals are partially falling out already, and replace with flexible caulk. Also, the inside frame that the gasket seals against is not level. I’m going to level that with some filler, possibly some thickened epoxy, so the gasket has a smoother more level surface to seal against.
                        Last edited by Woodsea; 09-12-2018, 08:44 PM. Reason: spelling
                        2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                        12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                        MV Kia Orana
                        Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Working...
                        X