6bta5.9 Oil Capacity-gctid356788

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6bta5.9 Oil Capacity-gctid356788

This probably falls under the category of a dumb question but...

The Operating Manual for my 6bta5.9M 315hp Cummins says the crancase oil capacity is 15qts. Does the 15 qts include the 1 qt that you pour into the oil filter when changing it? As I said, probably a dumb question but since the manual says the dipsticks are marked by the installer I do not fully trust them. 14 qts poured into the top fill plus the qt in the filter only comes up to slightly above the lower mark on the dipsticks after running the engines.

Second question - what is the no load RPMs for these engines?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

Try this Cummins PDF

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...txambTI2c2HOiA
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

This is the best explanation you will get for oil capacity: http://sbmar.com/main/articles/takin...an_capacities/
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Hello Bob,

You will find some great 1st hand input on these engines and questions at Boatdiesel.com as well as a great vendor at sbmar.com (Tony Athens). There are valuable articles and information at each site but I would start with Tony at sbmar.

Now for less than 1st hand information ---

Oil level varies dependent upon exact amount removed and the angle of the oil pan at installation and boat loading. It is harder to get all of the oil out than most realize and most installs did not have the diptube marked at initial fill.

No load rpm's should be 3,000 or slightly more on a warmed up engine tested brefily and with controlled amp up and down.

Max loaded rpm's should be full rated rpm's plus 3-5% more for a long engine life as a brief test (in your case 2,885-2,940).

Please make sure your tachs are accurate before testing or sweating any of these numbers.

Hope this helps.
        Northport NY

Comment

Thanks Everyone,

This is exactly the information I need. BTW in answer to the question, I have Aetna digital tachs.

Bob

Comment

11.5 Liters whatever that is in your money

Comment

"11.5 Liters whatever that is in your money"

I do not believe that to be a correct value.

Hope this helps
              Northport NY

Comment

hes an american......my 5.9 takes 11.5 L the money thing was a joke...........Here's your sign:hammer

Comment

"hes an american......my 5.9 takes 11.5 L"

That would be in certain year trucks I believe.

Do not want the OP to get bad data and inadvertently cause damage to engines.

Hope this helps
                  Northport NY

Comment

I was also told, and have read in Tony's recommendations, to run under the full mark, rather than right on it. He suggests in between the low and full mark, which is one quart under the recommended input.

Cheers

Comment

smitty477 wrote:
                      "hes an american......my 5.9 takes 11.5 L"

That would be in certain year trucks I believe.

Do not want the OP to get bad data and inadvertently cause damage to engines.

Hope this helps
                      your joking right? the 5.9 is virtually an unchanged BLOCK

Comment

Ofishal wrote:
                        your joking right? the 5.9 is virtually an unchanged BLOCK
                        Last time I checked an engines oil capacity was more a function of the pan that was installed on it than the block.

There are lots of pans that can be installed on the 5.9 BLOCK. Your recomendation of 12.2quarts is about 3quarts short of what others have posted.

Most marine pans are a lower profile pan but because of duty cycle will often be a fairly high volume compared to the typical range of volumes used on that engine.
                        1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                        1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                        Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

"your joking right? the 5.9 is virtually an unchanged BLOCK"

The blocks are mostly unchanged the pans and full oils sytems vary by year and intended use, marine is certainly different.

I am not that familiar with this CPL in the 39 Bayliner given its year and angle of the pan so the best advice was to seek more information from Tony at Sbmar.com. We have been more familiar with these Cummins engines in both Sea Rays and 47 Bayliners where these are the typical oil volumes applicable for them:

Low 13 US qts (13.75 ltr)

High 15 US qts (15.85 ltr)

Usually on these boats it is best to run with a level at or around 13.5-14 US qts to avoid the possiblility of excessive oil whipping which these engines are prone to.

Running at 12 qts (11.5 ltr) is at the edge of where problems will occurr depending upon engine angle in the boat and at time of cruise.

It is best for 39 owners to read and consult Tony's website and /or boatdiesel.com with their engine specs in hand.

Hope this helps
                          Northport NY

Comment

My 5.9 tkes 15 quarts inc filter to the full line.

My add oil mark is at 13 quarts.

I never put in more than 14 quarts and like it halfway between full and add.

at a full 15 quarts I get oil splashing into the crankcase breather.
                            "Adios Dinero"
                            1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
                            Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

Here is the link to Tony Athens' commentary on oil pan capacities;

http://www.sbmar.com/Maintenance/PDF...Dip-Sticks.pdf
                              Rob
                              Bayliner 5788
                              'Merlin V'
                              Vancouver BC

Comment

Working...
                              X