No announcement yet.

AIS system-gctid341785

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience is with large freighters and they can't stop like that nor can they change course easily.

But they do have good radar.
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

dmcb wrote:
      My experience is with large freighters and they can't stop like that nor can they change course easily.

But they do have good radar.
      Only works if someone is watching it. Too often recently nobody was watching. Given a choice, I'll hope they turned their AIS on and I know where they are. Buy both? Hell yes if I can afford it.

Comment

boatommy wrote:
        Only works if someone is watching it. Too often recently nobody was watching. Given a choice, I'll hope they turned their AIS on and I know where they are. Buy both? Hell yes if I can afford it.
        I've stood many a bridge watch, and they're always on. With transmitting AIS, they automatically get your position, speed, etc without having to figure it out on their end. AIS gives them the time and distance to the closest point of approach which makes it pretty hard to miss the fact you're gonna collide. You'd have to see a real system working to appreciate how AIS makes you stand out. To them, you might as well be 100' long as 30' when it comes to dealing with plot targets.
        Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

I have and enjoy my Class B transceiver. I am absolutely happy I have it.

I am realistic that the big guys have little wiggle room and are going to be slow to react. By the rule of gross tonnage the burden is on me to get the heck out of their way.

A small boat moving at 30 MPH with Class B AIS transmitting once every 30 seconds will cover a 1/4 mile between each AIS transmission. So the location of the small boat on a big ships AIS is not going to be such that he knows where you are at any given moment. For that he will rely on his radar.

I am glad to hear that the big ships can not filter out the Class B AIS. That seems to be a point on which you read various opinions.
          Jim McNeely
          New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
          Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
          Brighton, Michigan USA
          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

What I would like is a portable AIS setup that I could use when I bareboat charter. Has anyone seen something small with a USB connection so that I could hook it up to my laptop running OpenCPN? I am sure one could be made, I was thinking a small antenna like a handheld VHF has would still give me a 3 to 5 mile range. Any thoughts?
            Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

Check out the Vesper Marine Watchmate. It has a self contained receiver and screen. All that is required is an antenna.

I have a Watchmate 850 which is the full class B AIS transceiver. I love it. When I was transiting New York Harbor last September

I was astounded at the number of AIS targets on my screen. The software Vesper Marine uses is very user friendly and I was able to

unclutter my screen. I also have the splitter that allows me to use my VHF antenna. Check out PANBO.COM. They have a good write up

and Ben Ellison has tested it on his test boat GIZMO.

John 1999 2452 Plan"B"

Comment

A portable setup to travel with would be "receive only".

To transmit you need to get a licence and MMSI for the vessel. Not something you would do for a boat you don't own.
                Jim McNeely
                New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
                Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
                Brighton, Michigan USA
                MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Receive only would be great. In low visibility I would like the cog and sog for the ferries, ships and tows. Any radio guys out there who could figure out a small antenna that would adapt to a USB AIS receiver? I don't think the range would be a big issue, really just need it for the last few miles.
                  Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

I currently have the Standard Horizon 2150 and have it integrated with my Lowrance HDS-10 unit. There is a step-by-step integration document on the Standard Horizon website that makes the installation a snap. When running, I run the radar and chart images side by side. The AIS overlays directly onto the chartplotter. It's very handy as generally the AIS on smaller charter fishing boats will show up much sooner than Radar images.
                    Terry
                    1999 Bayliner 3388
                    Twin Cummins 4BTA
                    Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
                    Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                    X