Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner 3288 - Cruising speed

Hi everyone

I am new to the site and getting the hang of this so bear with me. I am based in New Zealand and have recently purchased a 1990 Bayliner 3288 with twin Hino 150 diesel turbo motors. I have noticed on the worldyacht.com site that a Bayliner has been advertised with a speed ranging between 14 to 21 knots see link below.

My Bayliner only cruises at 12 knot @ 2500 rpm - there is no way that I could achieve the specs that are referred to below.

What speed does everyone else get from their 3288???? - please help me with my dilemma.

Thanks

Richard

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=4944&url=
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 08-14-2019, 11:45 PM.

Welcome to BOC.

This model was also built with higher hp gas engines which likely accounts for the difference.

You will get more information soon.

Doug
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Does your boat achieve specified WOT RPM?
      Started boating 1965
      Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Is that your maximum speed?

Cruising speed is not your max speed. If that is your max speed, it does sound a little slow. Check out this website for info:

http://www.bayliner32xx.com/DesktopD...dex=1&tabid=19

It looks like he gets 18knts out of his 135hinos.

I got up to 16knots with my gas engines on a freshwater lake. It should be faster on the ocean I was told.

Maybe the engines are tired, it is a 23 year old boat.

And also those ads may exagerate the speed a little or not verify what the owners tell them, they are trying to sell something.

Comment

There are so many factors that effect speed. Things like are your Hinos reaching 3000 rpm at max wot throttle? What is the condition of the hull? How much weight is onboard? Your prop size? And many more. As a reference I get a solid 14-15 knots at 2500 rpm. I have 135hp Hinos with 1400 hours. I have no hard top, a light weight 150lb generator and a full enclosure.

12knots is a little slow, but that could be due to weight. The most important thing is that you are NOT over loading the Hinos. Meaning you need to see 3k rpm at full throttle.
          1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
          2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
          2019 Cobia 240 CC
          2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
          1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

My gasser 305 GM motors hit 25 MPH at WOT, but luckily I was driving towards a gas dock. This comes up all the time; I think my buddies boat with the Hinos diesels at WOT is like 14-16 MPH but he might chime in.

Comment

Welcome aboard RICKYG.. Fair Dinkum is a 1988 3288 and has twin US Marine Chevy 350's with 1100hrs (cruised well and happy I am sure). At virtually sea level but in fresh water her sweet spot is 16mph (GPS) at 3200 not quite out of the hole on step - drags her butt a little. She will deliver at WOT 4100RPM 21mph. I confirm ai mean mph not knots as I set my GPS to mph. Here are some facts;

Bottom: dirty - she will perform plus 2-3mph with clean bottom and the right ambient air.

Props: 3 blade (don't know size and pitch but not cupped)

Trans: not sure

Trim tabs: yes

Aft mounted generator: yes ONAN

Forward mounted Air/Heat: yes

Temps: at 3200 - 150 port / 170 strbd

Oil pressure: 40 port / 38 strbrd. Both drop to just above 20 when I come back to idle if I have been running her up for a while I am told this is normal so fingers crossed)

Weight: factory specs plus full tanks then about 1000lbs misc gear including crew

No hardtop: Just full canvas

Comment

My 1992 whid 150hp hinos Arne crusing at 12-13 kots and get a Max speed at 15 knot.

I run on 17x15 props and think i vid get beter performance whid 17x16 propellers.
                https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCqjF-BlXT8PajKWGmDYJNVw

Comment

3288 2x170hk Yanmar top speed 22 knots. No gen, no hardtop.

Moved batteries to between the engines as long forward as possible. Tanks were made smaller. Low weight is important to these boats.

Bigger trimtabs is also a good thing that I planned but never did

Comment

12kts @ 2500rpm is totally normal.

Comment

My 94 with 150's and years of adding weight cruised at 14kns at 2700 in calm conditions. 12k at 2500 is spot on. Top speed at 3000 was 18knots.
                      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Hi Everyone

I must thank you all for the input. My Bayliner 3288 is 1990 model with the 2 x 150 Hino diesels and I have taken her out and achieved 2950 & 3000 RMP - the motor hours are 2500 and the hull is clean. Unfortunately me being new to the launch market I did not check the top speed but I shall be doing this next time out.

I did notice that when she was out being painted on the top side that she has 4 x bladed props. I find that I need to have tabs down to lift her stern up out of the water to achieve 12 knots cruising - I am also running half tanks of diesel and have no excessive weight on the boat.

Also can I run these motors at 2500 RPM as a normal running speed for trips that can take 3 hours or more.

Let me have as much information as possible.

Thanks Richard

Comment

Yes you need full tabs to get the bow down and the squatting stern up. You can run Hinos 10% below the rated top 3000rpm all day. So 2700 or less is fine.
                          1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

RICKYG wrote:
                            Hi Everyone

I must thank you all for the input. My Bayliner 3288 is 1990 model with the 2 x 150 Hino diesels and I have taken her out and achieved 2950 & 3000 RMP - the motor hours are 2500 and the hull is clean. Unfortunately me being new to the launch market I did not check the top speed but I shall be doing this next time out.

I did notice that when she was out being painted on the top side that she has 4 x bladed props. I find that I need to have tabs down to lift her stern up out of the water to achieve 12 knots cruising - I am also running half tanks of diesel and have no excessive weight on the boat.

Also can I run these motors at 2500 RPM as a normal running speed for trips that can take 3 hours or more.

Let me have as much information as possible.

Thanks Richard
                            Yup - you can run at 2500 full time. In fact you can run at 2700 all the time... But if you do run them for duration at higher speeds - make sure you back off to idle a few minutes before entering your slip. this will give the turbo's time to cool off before shutting down.

As for trim tabs, absolutely they help at 12 knots. Believe it or not, they make a difference at 6 knots. I had the fortune to run dead calm water, no wind, no tide, no current, and at 6 knots (GPS). With tabs - I picked up between 0.3 and 0.5 knots... would not have believed it if I'd not repeated it (several times).
                            Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
                            Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron
                            Vice Commodore BYC

Comment

Hi

We are looking to buy a Bayliner 3288 1989. I need some owners advices on what to look for and Today's real value?

There is no electronic however it comes with a bow thruster. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X