No announcement yet.

rebuild radar arch in place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently Bayliner didn't have a set way of building the arches. My arch has a foam core that has chopped glass over it on the inside. The only place there's any plywood is in the ends of the side pieces that bolt to the bridge. The wood around the edge that the panels screw to was #2 pine as was the blocking for the bolts.

It doesn't surprise me that there isn't uniformity in the construction methods. When I was researching the rubber window track, I found that three different types were used on one window of my boat. Any one of the three types would have worked through out the entire job. They just used what they had on hand at the moment or what was closest to them at the time. It's part of the reason why they sell them as entry level boats.

Comment

Thanks Ken & Reed,

I feel better about this now. My arch is solid. I think I will just need to replace the wood where the bolts go through and the wood around the edges. :-)

Greg

Comment

I am about 90% complete on my 90 model 2655, arch rebuild. I am using 3/8" Starboard as an alternative to wood and fabric. Still (Over) thinking the final edge trim.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...-on-radar-arch

Comment

I'm going to re-use the plastic trim. It's still in good shape. I plan on caulking it between the arch and only using a few screws and some tape to hold it in place until the caulk drys.

StarBoard will be used for the panels and LEDs will replace the old light at the top of the arch. I'm not going to have lights in the sides of the arch anymore. We never used them and the cut out for the plastic lenses just created another area for water to intrude. If we find that more light is needed, I will install more water proof surface mount LEDs.

Comment

There's a pic of our aluminum arch on this site somewhere. If interested, email me and I'll send you a pic. I don't check in here very often.

Molly

[email protected]

Comment

Just ordered an Atlantic towers arch. It means I could, and did, remove the stocker with a sawzall in light little pieces. The taller arch opens up the view to aft and no more bug and water trap. Ill post pix when complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Shovinoff View Post
                Just ordered an Atlantic towers arch. It means I could, and did, remove the stocker with a sawzall in light little pieces. The taller arch opens up the view to aft and no more bug and water trap. Ill post pix when complete.
                Yes, please post photos!

I would really like to see how the project comes out!

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Working...
                X