Battery charger problem-gctid354838

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery charger problem-gctid354838

My 1991 3288 has the original grey box battery charger. This week I noticed that the lights in the cabin where all dim and when I looked at the circuit breaker it was off. I flipped it back on and after a couple of hours, it tripped again. Looks like it's time for a new charger. Any recommendations? This is the charger that is mounted in the bilge on the transom on the starboard side. For simplicity I would like to mount the new one in the same spot so I don't have to run any new wiring.

If you don't already have one installed, the may be a good opportunity to go for an inverter/charger rather than a new charger alone. In my experience, I have never regretted inverter installations on any of our boats.

Of course, the initial cash outlay is far more to go this route, but the longer term convenience is more than worth it.

Edit: I have a Xantrex TFB400 (40A) battery charger which is now dedicated to the cranking batteries alone, and a Magnum ME3012 Inverter/Charger which is a 3000W inverter with a 140A charger for the 8 house batteries.
    Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

Comment

i have an inverter/charger with two dedicated batteries for the inverter, they also run my windless, so all I need is the one for the house and cranking batteries.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150559867089...84.m1497.l2649

Comment

If you call Promariner, they will give you a good price on an upgrade. I paid $170 for mine, which is the same 40A charger linked in the post above. I also installed it in the same location as the Readi-Amp 15 was mounted. If you go from a 15A to a 40A charger, you should also upgrade to a heavier gauge wire from charger to battery.

Comment

Yeah that is a used charger with a non factory 90 warranty. Good price but I would rather get new.

Comment

If you call Promariner, they will give you a good price on an upgrade. I paid $170 for mine, which is the same 40A charger linked in the post above. I also installed it in the same location as the Readi-Amp 15 was mounted. If you go from a 15A to a 40A charger, you should also upgrade to a heavier gauge wire from charger to battery.

I went this route almost four years ago. What they provide is a "factory rebuilt" unit. The charger isn't necessarily rebuilt, it could just be the packaging of a customer returned unit. Never a problem with it. At the time I think I paid $115 for a $400+ retail unit.
              Greg A.
              1994 4788
              "Simplicity"
              2002 Capri 175
              "Little GFI"
              Boat on the Sac/San Joaquin Delta

Comment

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/658065=25013-truecharge2_th.jpg[/img]Im happy with the Truecharge 2 from Xantrex. available in 10,20,40, or 60 amps. Simple to install, optional remote display, and remote battery temperature sensor.

Comment

I vote for the inverter charger. Gives you the best of both worlds.

Comment

The current charger is a 35 amp, IIRC. So I wouldn't want to go any smaller. A 40 Amp should fill the bill. Does the Pro Mariner factory reman come with a fully warranty? I guess I could call them and find out.

I have an InverterCharger for a another battery bank that runs my inverter and windlass.

Comment

You could also use the output from the inverter / charger. Simply install a solid state ACR (Automatic Charge Relay). It will feed current to your start bank as it needs it from the inverter charger output, but keep them separated at all other times.
                      Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Mike, I thought about this as well. The inverter sits in the cave, and I would have to run all new wiring back into the bilge to where the batteries are. It's doable, but a pain and would really eat into any savings running close to 20 feet of wiring. If I replace the current dead charger, I could reuse the existing wiring. Plus I *think* the inverter charger is only 20 amps. I'll have to look again and see.

Comment

I've just done a bunch of research on the Blue Sea and BEP Dual Automatic Voltage Sensing Relays and am converting our latest family addition, an Everglades 290PH, to use the Blue Sea Dual Battery switches and Dual relays and will be doing the same to our Bayliner 45. No more need for expensive multiple output isolated chargers and battery management is automatic with manual emergency override. While the BEP is less expensive, I'm told by boat builders and electricians it's not he quality, and BEP won't have their Dual VSR's out for another year.

Comment

I had my batteries destroyed with a Pro Mariner charger. It also does not have the juice to charge my batteries if they are low in a decent amount of time. I installed an inverter charger best move ever. I am on the second one in 20+ years. The new one is a Magnum Made in Everett WA

Comment

I have had a good run with my ProMariner Pro Sport 12. I park on my trailer in my side yard and plug the shore power into an outlet installed on the side of the house. I only run the charger at home and it always has both batteries ready to go. I am not a hardcore drainer of batteries so the maintainer does just what it needs to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X