In Praise of North Harbor Diesel Anacortes WA!-gctid354416

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Praise of North Harbor Diesel Anacortes WA!-gctid354416

Had my first experience with NHD today, moving my boat from Skyline Marina to NHD.

Called when I was about 10 minutes out, they had the jumbo lift ( for my 4087, about 44' overall) in the water waiting. Pressure wash and into my moorage/storage on the hard,all in about an hour.

They offer a lot of services obviously, including fueling from a tanker, probably the cheapest 'marine' diesel you can get. Skyline was typically the most expensive the Puget Sound area, currently more than Friday Harbor;-(.

I'm moving to AZ (to be near my pregnant daughter and hubby and our other daughter and grandchild). Didn't fancy being 12 hours and 1500 miles away if there was a major issue with my boat in the water. We had some horrific winds last year, 70mph plus. My buddies boat in the same marina had his dinghy blown up off his stern davit and put some of his outboard through the rear door, doing mucho damage.

Plan is to come back to San Jaun's mid/end of May and live on the boat for 3-4 months, head back to AZ around Labor Day.

Don't have to pay for storage when I'm out of port for 3-4 months, can get my carpets cleaned, boat detailed etc. Zincs and bottom paint will last a long time. Wouldn't work if you are a regular winter cruiser, as we used to be, but for our situation, its great.

NHD, were smooth and professional, Dianna is very responsive and knows her stuff as did everyone I met today.

Machog
    1996 4087 Lazy Days
    2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
    2011 Porsche Cayman
    2010 Lexus IS 250C
    2008 Honda Ridgeline

Dianna's awesome! Called "the number on the gate" on a Sunday, and not only did she answer, but she was at the gate in about 10 minutes and opened it so we could look at a boat. Ended up in a sale too, with one of the easiest going and most helpful brokers I've ever met (Chris) ...

It's the way things SHOULD be done....

Comment

Machog wrote:
      Had my first experience with NHD today, moving my boat from Skyline Marina to NHD.

Called when I was about 10 minutes out, they had the jumbo lift ( for my 4087, about 44' overall) in the water waiting. Pressure wash and into my moorage/storage on the hard,all in about an hour.

They offer a lot of services obviously, including fueling from a tanker, probably the cheapest 'marine' diesel you can get. Skyline was typically the most expensive the Puget Sound area, currently more than Friday Harbor;-(.

I'm moving to AZ (to be near my pregnant daughter and hubby and our other daughter and grandchild). Didn't fancy being 12 hours and 1500 miles away if there was a major issue with my boat in the water. We had some horrific winds last year, 70mph plus. My buddies boat in the same marina had his dinghy blown up off his stern davit and put some of his outboard through the rear door, doing mucho damage.

Plan is to come back to San Jaun's mid/end of May and live on the boat for 3-4 months, head back to AZ around Labor Day.

Don't have to pay for storage when I'm out of port for 3-4 months, can get my carpets cleaned, boat detailed etc. Zincs and bottom paint will last a long time. Wouldn't work if you are a regular winter cruiser, as we used to be, but for our situation, its great.

NHD, were smooth and professional, Dianna is very responsive and knows her stuff as did everyone I met today.

Machog
      Where will you be in Az? Lots of us Wa boaters in Az in the winter.
      Started boating 1965
      Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Good people there and they stand behind their excellent work.

Comment

Did you see my boat at NHD???

JJ is finishing up the crab pot hauler install today.

I cannot say enogh good about the folks at NHD. My boat has went through a complete transformation by them. Everybody there has had a hand in working on it, even Howard!

Last September we drove in a neglected, sad looking 4788 with blown engines, generator with bearings falling out, doors that wouldn't open, peeling paint, a barnicle farm on the bottom, the list goes on and on.

Today the boat is showroom new, shiney, and pretty much perfect in every way. It is a Motor Yacht that anybody would be proud to own.

This was the largest expendature I've ever made in my life. More than my home by far.

I don't think any other boat yard could have done it.

Every one there knows how much I trust and apprechiate them.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

NHD is one of the best for service and the people. Chris was instrumental in our purchase of our new 4588, best broker I have every worked with. Dianna is awesome and will go way out of her way to help you in what every your needs.

I will be taking my boat back up from Everett to have them do the bottom paint and some seal work for me.
            Patrick and Patti
            4588 Pilothouse 1991
            12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
            M/V "Paloma"
            MMSI # 338142921

Comment

mm, I'm going to be in Cave Creek, 85331, maybe we should do a 'rendezvous' at a local eatery?

Our best friends, Roz and Dale Nolen live in Gold Creek on East Hacienda La Noria Lane, if you know where that is and we get together on a regular basis. Its about 50 miles from our CC to GC.

Machog
              1996 4087 Lazy Days
              2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
              2011 Porsche Cayman
              2010 Lexus IS 250C
              2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Machog wrote:
                mm, I'm going to be in Cave Creek, 85331, maybe we should do a 'rendezvous' at a local eatery?

Our best friends, Roz and Dale Nolen live in Gold Creek on East Hacienda La Noria Lane, if you know where that is and we get together on a regular basis. Its about 50 miles from our CC to GC.

Machog
                Interesting, we are in Cave Creek right now in our RV for the week shooting with about 1000 others in the national championship of our sport. Your friends from Gold Canyon on East Hacienda La Noria live about a block or two from where we do all our grocery shopping. As the crow flies, it is about a mile from our home there. We also have friends that live on that street!
                Started boating 1965
                Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

When NHD did some work for me the story was different: I was invoiced incorrectly on several occassions(in their favor of course). When I had work done one winter I called and asked attention be paid to prevent freeze damage(I live out of town)...when I picked up the boat in the spring, water gushed from broken lines. The repairs were attempted with cheap fixes until I demanded it done right. When they did a plastic tunnel inside they used cheap tape on the headliner instead of quality 3M and the adhesive ate into the headliner. We ended up settling after my lawyer made contact with their agents. When they reassembled my custom exhaust, they glued parts that were made to be removeable in solid with 5200... now I can't take things apart. I could go on and on but I won't. I have others who have told me similar stories, people I know and trust that had experiences like mine. I would not recommend this yard. For Bayliners, I would try Cap Sante or the new kid on the block, Pacific Marine. I have heard good things about them.

Comment

capnken wrote:
                    When NHD did some work for me the story was different: I was invoiced incorrectly on several occassions(in their favor of course). When I had work done one winter I called and asked attention be paid to prevent freeze damage(I live out of town)...when I picked up the boat in the spring, water gushed from broken lines. The repairs were attempted with cheap fixes until I demanded it done right. When they did a plastic tunnel inside they used cheap tape on the headliner instead of quality 3M and the adhesive ate into the headliner. We ended up settling after my lawyer made contact with their agents. When they reassembled my custom exhaust, they glued parts that were made to be removeable in solid with 5200... now I can't take things apart. I could go on and on but I won't. I have others who have told me similar stories, people I know and trust that had experiences like mine. I would not recommend this yard. For Bayliners, I would try Cap Sante or the new kid on the block, Pacific Marine. I have heard good things about them.
                    I am very sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them.

I am extremely suprised to hear about anything other than top quality work. While I believe what you are saying, your impression of the quality of their work is not the North Harbor Diesel of today.

As a matter of fact, if you were to think of quality of work as one aspect, and price as another aspect, I can assure you that the NHD pendlium swings heavily towards the quality of work, abet at sometimes a higher price. Put another way, NHD will spend the hours to do the job to the utmost quality, and since they bill by the hour, that equates to money on the bill.

My take on that is simple. I want and am willing to pay for the very best quality. NHD delivers that. They are not a bargain basement boat yard. I do not pressure them to do a job "on the cheap".

I will quickly forget the price of the bill, but I will always remember the quality of the work.

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

Kevin-

quality matters....integrity matters more.

not sure why you are such a NHD supporter, but I have no motive but to add personal perspective based on facts I can support, to help other forum members make choices in their best interest.

Comment

capnken wrote:
                        Kevin-

quality matters....integrity matters more.

not sure why you are such a NHD supporter, but I have no motive but to add personal perspective based on facts I can support, to help other forum members make choices in their best interest.
                        Why am I a NHD supporter???

Thats easy.

I've spent around $125,000 with them this fall and winter restoring my 4788. They didn't just get my support, they earned it.

You know how I feel about the quality of work they do. I agree that integrity matters. Integrity and honesty are everything.

To the best of my knowledge the folks at NHD have never lied to me, or intentionally made a job into more than I thought it should be. I'm a technical person, and its pretty hard to BS me about a job. I read every word on every invoice.

On the billing side, even though I don't like paying any invoice :sorrow: , I really like the invoicing method they use. Each invoice (and I have many of them) is for a single job. It generally starts with a cut and paste from an e-mail I sent to either Justin or Dianna, describing the task I want completed.

It then lists the employee, what they did, and their hours worked. These entries are daily so I can see everybody that touched my boat on what day.

Parts lists follow. The invoices are easy to read, and understand. There is enough detail so I can look over the work task details, and associate them with hours.

I understand you have no motivation, and neither do I. I'm not even disagreeing with your assessment of your experiences (I was not there after all), I'm just sharing my observations, and they happen in this case to be a contrast to yours.

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

ksanders wrote:
                          Why am I a NHD supporter???

Thats easy.

I've spent around $125,000 with them this fall and winter restoring my 4788. They didn't just get my support, they earned it.

You know how I feel about the quality of work they do. I agree that integrity matters. Integrity and honesty are everything.

To the best of my knowledge the folks at NHD have never lied to me, or intentionally made a job into more than I thought it should be. I'm a technical person, and its pretty hard to BS me about a job. I read every word on every invoice.

On the billing side, even though I don't like paying any invoice :sorrow: , I really like the invoicing method they use. Each invoice (and I have many of them) is for a single job. It generally starts with a cut and paste from an e-mail I sent to either Justin or Dianna, describing the task I want completed.

It then lists the employee, what they did, and their hours worked. These entries are daily so I can see everybody that touched my boat on what day.

Parts lists follow. The invoices are easy to read, and understand. There is enough detail so I can look over the work task details, and associate them with hours.

I understand you have no motivation, and neither do I. I'm not even disagreeing with your assessment of your experiences (I was not there after all), I'm just sharing my observations, and they happen in this case to be a contrast to yours.
                          +1 but I have only spent $25,000 in the last few years

Comment

I used to keep my 3988 in fidalgo bay marine which is about a block from NHD. I needed to change the oil in my twin 330 cumins. NHD wanted $800to to change the oil.

WTF $800 are you serious? I didn't want to have to do it when I got to the boat because we were leaving for vacation. I ended up doing it any way just took a couple of hours and the cost of oil and filters.

At their prices I can see how you spent so much money.
                            1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                            twin 454's
                            MV Mar-Y-Sol
                            1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                            Twin chevy 350's inboard
                            Ben- Jamin
                            spokane Washington

Comment

yachtman wrote:
                              I used to keep my 3988 in fidalgo bay marine which is about a block from NHD. I needed to change the oil in my twin 330 cumins. NHD wanted $800to to change the oil.

WTF $800 are you serious? I didn't want to have to do it when I got to the boat because we were leaving for vacation. I ended up doing it any way just took a couple of hours and the cost of oil and filters.

At their prices I can see how you spent so much money.
                              I cannot speak for them, but I bill customers out every day for my services. Here's how I would bill out a job like that.

1/2 hr Gather material and tools, put in truck

1/2 hr drive to customers dock, unload truck, haul tools and materials to customers boat

1/2 hr put down floor protector, absorbent around engine, drain oil from engine #1

1/2 hr replace oil filter and pump fresh oil into engine #1

1/2 hr drain oil from engine #2, clean up absorbent, oil from around engine #1

1/2 hr replace oil filter and pump fresh oil into engine #2

1/2 hr clean up from engine #2, haul waste and tools to truck

1/2 hr drive back to shop, dispose of waste, complete paperwork.

labor 4 hours @ $95 per hour = $380

materials

oil 30 quarts @ $5.00 $150

filters 2 @ $40.00 = $80.00

floor protector = $15.00

oil absorbent $15.00

Hazmat disposal fee $50.00

total materials $310

Washington state tax @ 7.25% = $50.02

total bill = $740.02

I'm thinking their estimate without seeing your boat was pretty accurate.

As boaters we sometimes feel that the people or firms that do work for us do not deserve to get paid for an 8 hour day, while at the same time we demand 8 hours of pay from our employers.

I bill my time out at $155 per hour. My firm gets paid for every hour that I cannot be billing my time out to a different customer. That time includes all aspects of the job, not just the physical act of doing the job itself. Because I bill my time out in this manner, I have no problem paying others to do the same thing.

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

Working...
                              X