Looking at buying 4788-gctid353619

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at buying 4788-gctid353619

We am looking at a 2000 4788 for sale in our area. Would like to get some input as to the pros and cons vs a 4588. How hard to service motors( can you get to the filters, water pumps, injectors.?? Our previous boat was a 3988, the access was very good. Any other tips or ideas would be welcome. Roman

Hello Roman,

This is a cut and paste from a previous post we wrote where a bunch of BOC's also chimed in with good input. Maybe you can turn that up with a search but in any case we have onwed each type for over 6 seaons each so if you have specific questions please ask them and we will try and respond. The 47 has better engine access than the 45 for various reasons at the front, port outside, and rear of engines.

Hope this helps

Bayliner 45 vs 47

There were changes made in each model year but these are some of the general differences between the mid 80's 45 and the mid 90's 47 Bayliners.

45 has:

- aluminum holding tank below pilot stairs

- aluminum water tanks

- split A/C units port of port engine

- batteries stb of stb engine

- prop pockets

- a decent davit

- wood base flybridge seats

- wood core in flybridge and elsewhere

- wood veneer on port and stb overhangs

- less space pilot and saloon

- usually gensets have no shield

- arch rear facing and needs attention

- teak cap on rails

- more storage

- ÔÇ£VÔÇØ struts

- 1-1/2 ÔÇ£ shafts

- watch for dry turboÔÇÖs early years

- neat shaft pockets inside to collect water

47 has:

- no prop pockets

- 2" shafts

- less storage

- A/C units are under seats in pilot and master

- batteries at rear of engines

- there is a bulkhead door

- most gensets have shield

- molded seating on flybridge

- arch is forward and braced

- decking is foam core

- more robust davit

- extra space in saloon and pilothouse

- less space in mid stateroom

- more useable space on flybridge

- 95' and down still has all the teak

- most water leaks were corrected

Useable cruisng speed on the 47 will be about 1-1/2 to 2 knots above the 45 equally loaded.

Engine options:

You will find that either Hino engine will provide many years of service if they are not overloaded and reasonably maintained. Get good surveys on the boat and the engines and you will be in good shape to assess your future plans. Disclaimer is that we are not diesel technicians nor in the marine business.

The EH700 series Hino is a bit more robust then the WO6 series but either are more then capable when utilized at their respective ratings. Our experience is that they are well above average in this sub 6.5 litre diesel class for most normal usage. The EH700 series shares no parts with the newer WO6 series engines but the 175 and 220 EH share parts as does the 250 and 310 WO6.

The EH700 (229 hp, 6.44 L) was based on an early 1980's stationary industrial engine for pumping, electrical generation, and similar applications. It was utilized as a non turbo in 122 hp continuous and 142 hp intermittent ratings in many applications when my husband (Ron) first saw them in Shimodate Japan in 1979-1981. The marine versions of 175 and 220 hp (turbo & inter-cooled) have shown good service life, low fuel use, and better then average serviceability, with reasonable maintenance applied. The 175 and 220 are mostly the same except for the turbo, inter-cooler, and fuel load applied. The earlier 220's with dry turboÔÇÖs can have more problems as well as the regular issues with 2 piece risers, mani-coolers, trans coolers, and lack of general service.

The WO6 D-Ti-II (310 hp, 5.76 L) is still a very robust engine that has a bit more efficiency owing to the extra dozen years of engineering development but should not make a large difference in these applications. The 250 hp version has a number of differences other then fuel load including oiling, sparges, pistons, etc. Running at 60% or so of max hp (not rpmÔÇÖs) these engines will have a life exceeding that of the boat if maintained.. We have found these to be slightly easier to service but again the difference is not large.
    Northport NY

Comment

luckydog wrote:
      We am looking at a 2000 4788 for sale in our area. Would like to get some input as to the pros and cons vs a 4588. How hard to service motors( can you get to the filters, water pumps, injectors.?? Our previous boat was a 3988, the access was very good. Any other tips or ideas would be welcome. Roman
      You should consider the 2002 4788 in channel islands.

Joe

2002 4788

lucky liner
      Joe
      2001 5288
      Lucky Liner ll

Comment

Thanks Smitty on a great comparison. I am leaning to a 4788 with the Cummins, I have owned them in my 3988 and found them to be a reliable engine if propped right. I helped our friend with his 45 and was frustrated with the access he had. The 47 I am looking at has been serviced by the same company I used and trusted. We are going next week to inspect the boat and maybe make a offer. The 47 has a bow thruster and low hours(670), nice davit, new electronics(2006),covered slip, fresh water(calif delta). And a motivated seller. What can I expect for a fuel burn at cruise (16 to 18 knots)?? Thanks Roman

Comment

luckydog wrote:
          Thanks Smitty on a great comparison. I am leaning to a 4788 with the Cummins, I have owned them in my 3988 and found them to be a reliable engine if propped right. I helped our friend with his 45 and was frustrated with the access he had. The 47 I am looking at has been serviced by the same company I used and trusted. We are going next week to inspect the boat and maybe make a offer. The 47 has a bow thruster and low hours(670), nice davit, new electronics(2006),covered slip, fresh water(calif delta). And a motivated seller. What can I expect for a fuel burn at cruise (16 to 18 knots)?? Thanks Roman
          2400 RPM will yield about 13 GPH per engine and around 16 knots with the 24" stock props

My props are 22" pitch and I got 14.9 knots at 2400 rpm, and If I remember correctly about 11 GPH per engine, but I havn't calibrated the floscans with the new engines yet.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

jas0381 wrote:
            You should consider the 2002 4788 in channel islands.

Joe

2002 4788

lucky liner
            I agree. Back in Oct I looked at boats from San Diego to Oxnard and the 02 there was the best conditioned big Bayliner Piothouse that I saw, plus is the rare and most desirable 2002 model, which retain highest resale value due to being last yr of manufacture and only year (including Meridians) with High Gloss interior. the upholstery, carpets, etc., are of higher quality than earlier years. Another bonus to Oxnard is that the Costco has a drive through car wash in addition to cheap gas.

The boats I saw south of there (LA,Long Beadh, Seal Beach, Newport, Oceanside, San Diego) looked like they hadn't left the slip in years, and were all overpriced to their condition. In fact that whole one month trip was a giant wake up call to me on status of California market. Prime weather-prime locations, and hardly any power boats out on the water during 4 weekends, save a few small outboard fishing boats. Not that many sailboats either. Here in Florida despite high temps and humidity one see's lots (hundreds) of boats out on the weekend. Perhaps higher price of fuel is the reason.

Comment

..after having crawled around in old uncle bob's 39 engine room i think you will find the 47 a bit more cramped,,the 39 seemed to be built with the idea of getting to things.....installing the centre hatch and pushing the holding tank back to the rear bulkhead will help on the 47..

my last 47 was an 01,,we bought it because we liked the light coloured counters and the nicer looking setee....an 02 has the thicker doors that came with the meridian and a bit more dressed up look in the salon..

good luck with your search,,there sure is enough of them to look at...
              84-38,,86-38,,89-45,,97-47,,99-47,,01-47,,05-540,, 04-411 meridian and 11 others,, all gone ,,now 04 -490 ,,sidney,,vancouver island.

Comment

Oh, c'mon Doug, you must have more info that that. How many other advisers have had four different 47's and a 45 twice? Or was that only 3 47's?
                1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Thank You all for the input! Everything is a compromise. The 2002 looks great(looked it up on Yachtworld), but the 2000 I'm looking at is immaculate(at first look), fresh water, covered slip and a great price. The seller is going to list the boat next month if we don't buy it. I am not sure this is the right boat, but the search has begun.

Comment

a scammer has been marketing a "ghost boat" 2000 4788 either in Ensenada or Huntington Beach (depends where you say your at today to see the boat-it's at other location)for years on FSBO sites, but has been chased out of many once they discovered the ruse. He hasn't changed the pricing or the ad. It used to be substantially below the market in asking price and he tried to get buyers from overseas to send him a deposit. I had several people from 'down under' tell me they almost fell for it. It say's "dealer owned". His flaw was that he just used one of my listings which was in SC, not West Coast.

I had a old client just ask me about a 98 repo in the Delta he was interested in, and stumbled across this same scam ad the other day.

To anybody thinking about buying boats sight unseen from a non-licensed broker, "owner' or "selling for a friend" NEVER send money to hold the boat. NEVER. You can always hire Marine Surveyors ANYWHERE to go "pre-survey" (take a gander) to see if it's worth pursuing. This costs anywhere from FREE (it surveyor is nearby) to $150. If he has to travel, but will take detailed photos and subtract fee from survey if you decide it's worth moving forward.

Comment

Great advice. The boat I am looking at is a local boat, I've met the owner. There are alot of 47s for sale on YachtWorld, I believe we are still in a buyers market, which I think motivates some people to price the boat below market in the hopes that the boat will sell in a reasonable amount of time(I have a friend whose boat has been for sale for a year and half). It doesn't take long for slip payment, insurance, maintainence, taxes to amount to a sizeable amount in a short amount of time.

Comment

[QUOTE]pilothouseking wrote:
                        a scammer has been marketing a "ghost boat" 2000 4788 either in Ensenada or Huntington Beach (depends where you say your at today to see the boat-it's at other location)for years on FSBO sites, but has been chased out of many once they discovered the ruse. He hasn't changed the pricing or the ad. It used to be substantially below the market in asking price and he tried to get buyers from overseas to send him a deposit. I had several people from 'down under' tell me they almost fell for it. It say's "dealer owned". His flaw was that he just used one of my listings which was in SC, not West Coast.

I had a old client just ask me about a 98 repo in the Delta he was interested in, and stumbled across this same scam ad the other day.

This ghost 4788 boat was for sale for $200K (you could see the air conditioning was running in the picture) before we purchased our 4788 5 years ago!! My broker tried to track it down and came to the same conclusion as pilothouseking. Can't believe they are still posting it on yachtworld!
                        1994 4788

Comment

[QUOTE]completelymobile wrote:
                          pilothouseking wrote:
                          Can't believe they are still posting it on yachtworld!
                          Not on Yachtworld, but on for sale by owner sites. The popular one's have deleted the ad, but he keeps finding obscure sites to post it. I stumbled across it by doing search on "4788's for sale in San Francisco/Delta area" when a fellow asked me my opinion of a 98 4788 repo he was interested in lying in the Delta. I've spoken to the "seller"several times and have had clients call him in my presence. He talks a good story like con men do. I can see how he probably get's deposits. The boat doesn't exist though. IF you say "hey, I'm in Ensenada now, I want to see the boat"-then it's "up in California" if you say ", No problem, I have a plane, I'll fly there tomorrow to meet you to see the boat" he hangs up! lol

Comment

Lucky Dog,

Thought I would mention that the very clean, presentable and sound 4788 in Channel Islands is aptly named, Lucky Liner.

The broker is Greg Real who knows his trade and is very reputable. His contact is 805 216 2391.

joe

2002 4788

Lucky liner
                            Joe
                            2001 5288
                            Lucky Liner ll

Comment

"Canara Electrical Engineers Offering, Diesel generator for rent, Generator for hire, Dg sets for hire, Dg sets for rent, Generator on hire, Mobile generator hire and Welding generator for hire in Bangalore, India."
                              Photo album - Bayliner 3255 Avanti - 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X