4788 solar panel wire run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 solar panel wire run

I will be installing my solar panels next week and looking to run the wiring from the arch (port side) down to behind the battery switch area. I’m wondering if anyone has made this run before and has any tips or suggestions before I start opening things up. I will be running three wires- all marine 10/3 wire in sheath. Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC193489-1821-405F-9A01-614BA7881E7C.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	651993 I ran my wires from port side of the hard top, across the arch and down into the electrical panel where I mounted the victron charge controller. It’s an easy run and then you can just attach the controller to the DC buss and use the existing big wire that goes to the battery bank. I used solar wire for all the runs and mounted the controller high up in the entertainment cabinet with a dedicated CB that can be reset. i Click image for larger version

Name:	11F19AA6-958D-449E-A539-60CE2CF5D966.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	651992
    Cool Change - 1999 4788
    330 Cummins
    Custom enclosed hardtop

Comment

I have 4 renogy semi flexible panels wired in series x 2 then parallel down to the controller.
      Cool Change - 1999 4788
      330 Cummins
      Custom enclosed hardtop

Comment

That’s a route I never considered- interesting-it’s a long run from controllers to bank-have to check with my electrician on wire size-however if I went lithium I could put the bank under the forward couch which would be a much shorter run. Initially installing 2-450 watt rigid panels in series x 2 - each with its own controller- total 1800 watts. I have room for two more panels on hardtop but not sure I’ll need/ want anymore but want to run wiring just in case.

Comment

• Nikko
          Nikko commented
          Editing a comment
          following...

I have two panels wired in series installed on the hardtop. The wire runs to the radar arch down the port side and behind the port side valance in the salon. It drops down behind the battery switch panel to the Victron controller mounted on the transom just underneath the cockpit floor. It enables a short run to the batteries.
        2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
        12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
        MV Kia Orana
        Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

• Nikko
          Nikko commented
          Editing a comment
          This is good info, thanks - as a new 4788 owner (with a hardtop) , solar is moving up the todo list and I have yet to explore all the cable chase options.. Curious if you can explain the cable routing a bit more? How/where did you bring the cabling "into" the boat on the bridge, how/where is the chase to get it into the salon area, how did you remove the valance etc..

Originally posted by yadda yadda View Post
        That’s a route I never considered- interesting-it’s a long run from controllers to bank-have to check with my electrician on wire size-however if I went lithium I could put the bank under the forward couch which would be a much shorter run. Initially installing 2-450 watt rigid panels in series x 2 - each with its own controller- total 1800 watts. I have room for two more panels on hardtop but not sure I’ll need/ want anymore but want to run wiring just in case.

I just ran mine from the mounted controller to the positive buss wire behind the electrical panel, it was less than 3 feet long. The wires coming down from the roof are 10Ga solar wire bought off amazon (renogy). Since I have them wired series / Parallel you can see in the picture the voltage is near 40 volts and the amperage stays below 15 so the 10 gage is more than fine. I do not see any need to run dedicated charge wires from the controller to the batteries.
        Cool Change - 1999 4788
        330 Cummins
        Custom enclosed hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Cool Change 4788 View Post

I just ran mine from the mounted controller to the positive buss wire behind the electrical panel, it was less than 3 feet long. The wires coming down from the roof are 10Ga solar wire bought off amazon (renogy). Since I have them wired series / Parallel you can see in the picture the voltage is near 40 volts and the amperage stays below 15 so the 10 gage is more than fine. I do not see any need to run dedicated charge wires from the controller to the batteries.
          Thats how i ran mine as well.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 DOS PECES - SEWARD ALASKA - LA PAZ BCS MEXICO

Whats the weather like on the boat
          https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where am I right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02

Comment

Working...
          X