Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cummins 6BTA Part Suggestion Needed

Bayliners,

The housing on which the air filter attaches has a bent collar on it so it’s not staying attached to the engine. Cummins has discontinued the part.

Any suggestions? Should I take to a machine shop to have tgem fix or fabricate a new one?
    Edd M. Schillay
    Captain of the "Starship Enterprise" / NCC-1701-C
    2002 Bayliner 3788
    Venice Yacht Club / Venice Island, FL

Our prime directive: Wherever we go, we go boldly.

I would contact the folks at Seaboard Marine. The part you need depends on whether you have the Walker Airsep system installed.

https://www.sbmar.com/product-catego...s-maintenance/
    Evan
    2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
    League City, TX

Comment

A pic would help clarify the part you’re looking for! Cheers
      John H
      Brisbane QLD Aust
      "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

It may be a Walker, but not sure. I’ll have to get back in there and see if I can find a label or something.

Not a good photo:
        Edd M. Schillay
        2002 Bayliner 3788

Comment

I have exactly the same setup. It amazes me that they even stay together. Both sides need a flange so that the clamps have somewhere to grab and stay put. It is designed to fail!

For me, the filter side is the one that is a PIA and so at some point (still working on things higher up on the list) I am going to wrap a strip of thin metal tape around the end of the filter housing to give the clamp something to gab to. Or I might use a few dabs of JB weld in 3 or 4 places as it would do the same.
          Current: 1998 Bayliner 4085 - Cummins 6BTA 370's
          Past: 2004 Monterey 322 - Volvo 5.7 GXi's
          Past: 1987 Silverton 34X - Crusader 454's

Comment

NotSure,

I thought about the thin metal tape, but I wonder if that really going to give the collar enough to hold on to -- maybe then fill the gap with some kind of hardening epoxy so it's a solid circle?

I worry that if I do the JB-Weld route that I'll never be able to get it off?

I left a message at Seaboard Marine and spoke with a salvage yard -- maybe I can find a used replacement?
            Edd M. Schillay
            2002 Bayliner 3788

Comment

• NotSure
              NotSure commented
              Editing a comment
              Since I have not tried it yet I don't know.

You can probably get an entirely new filter setup off of Alibaba if you are not in a rush.

I had one of my Walker air seps actually break off at the housing. I got rid of those junky old things and installed new filters with the ccv system and never looked back.

Here is the link.

https://www.sbmar.com/product/enviro...t-6bta-series/
            1999 3388 Bayliner (Sold)
            4BTA 250hp Cummins

Comment

Well that looks totally different, but interesting. Is that all I would need or do I need additional parts (what's a CCV?) Do I already have a CCV system? And do I have a "front timing cover" or a "valve cover"? Sorry for all the newbie questions. I'm uses to much smaller diesel engines.
              Edd M. Schillay
              2002 Bayliner 3788

Comment

CCV means Closed Crankcase Ventilation

Judging by your picture you posted It appears yes you do have an existing CCV system. The new kit has everything in it that you would need. They would add a block off cap for your existing system since now it’s being vented through either the timing cover or valve cover. Also it has a catch bottle so your not feeding oil back into your turbo.

As for which to order timing cover or valve cover it depends on which area you have the best room to install it. I had lots of room at my timing cover area so I choose that kit and it looks like a nice clean install.

You would be best to read the install instructions which I believe are on SBMar’s website so you get a feel of the kit and which system you would prefer.
                4BTA 250hp Cummins

Comment

The guys at SB Marine are amazing. I’ve ordered their new system and should have it installed on Monday.

Even though the port engine is fine, I should probably order the kit for that engine too.
                  Edd M. Schillay
                  2002 Bayliner 3788

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Seawise!!

The mechanics at Seaboard were super helpful. I got the kit on Friday and, after some effort (and a whole lot of sw) getting the timing cover off, the rest of the install yesterday went smoothly.

I guess I should do the port engine too at some point, but I can see that would be a tougher job access-wise.

​​​​​​​thanks again!
                    Edd M. Schillay
                    2002 Bayliner 3788

Comment

That’s good it worked out well for you.

Yes the timing cover plug is a little tight to remove, I find using larger channel lock pliers to grip it and then turn it out works best.

I would do the other side as well when you find some time but at least you can use the boat now having the starboard side complete.
                      4BTA 250hp Cummins

Comment

Edd,
                        we installed the SB Envirovent system in 2015 and it has worked well for us. The only maintenance is to clean the air filters once in a while and empty the puke bottle every year or two. I think you will like it. Looking at your picture, I could not see the puke bottle installed. Be sure to install it at the lowest point in the crankcase vent piping so it collects the oil and does not fill up the pipe. Basically you want the piping to drain to the puke bottle with no low spots.
                        2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                        12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                        MV Kia Orana
                        Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Thanks Wood it’s hard to see in the photo, but yes, the puke bottle is down there at the lowest point. I’ll check it every year.
                          Edd M. Schillay
                          2002 Bayliner 3788

Comment

Working...
                          X