Windlass teeth stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windlass teeth stripped

Has anyone stripped the teeth on the windlass? Is it something repairable (either shop or myself) it does it mean a new windlass. I was setting the anchor and underestimated the force of the wind pushing us back too. Chain got ripped through. It's not pulling it up now. Windlass spins fine.

I am presuming you mean the teeth on the gypsy. Here is one from West Marine. Make sure to match the original for model and sized correctly for your chain.
    Retired, computer expert / executive
    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Comment

Update on the windlass is I pulled the chain up by hand and piled it in the rope locker beside it. Without tension the windlass was able to pull the chain into the locker. MonteVista I'm not sure if you forgot the link or if it's not showing up on mobile.

This is a Lewmar horizontal windlass

Comment

Sorry about that. Here is a new link.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/lewma...ypsy--14047740

[email protected]
      [email protected]

Comment

If share your boat and year or model of windless we help better. If Muir Cougar you want to reach out to imtra as they stock the factor parts...nothing west marine has is going to work correctly. the stripper attach direction to the windless on that model. https://www.imtra.com/products/anchoring/windlasses
        Mark
        USCG OUPV
        1990 4588
        Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny_4588 View Post
          If share your boat and year or model of windless we help better. If Muir Cougar you want to reach out to imtra as they stock the factor parts...nothing west marine has is going to work correctly. the stripper attach direction to the windless on that model. https://www.imtra.com/products/anchoring/windlasses
          My response was intended to show that with a proper search you can find the needed parts. I was not suggesting that that particular part is the right one for you. Find your model and size and search accordingly.

Good luck
          [email protected]
          [email protected]

Comment

Did you try tightening the brake on the gypsy? It’d be logical for that to slip under high load……will need to know Lewmar model to know exactly what wrench is required - typically they come with one from the factory.
            - if yours is anything like mine, you put a 1/2” socket or the factory supplied wrench into the square hole in the clutch nut, and rotate clockwise to tighten the clutch - then remove the wrench before powering the windlass.
            Attached Files
            1985 Bayliner 3270
            110 Hino/Hurth 360A
            previous = built own Roberts V495, circumnavigated
            previous = Apollo 27
            previous = Folkes 39, sailed to Hawaii
            + few more before that..

Comment

I'll take some pictures and grab the model info when I'm at the boat next.
              Destiny_4588 don't take this the wrong way but I thinki had a stroke reading your post. I think you were saying it's possible to replace the gear/teeth part itself ?

MonteVista I assume you meant the same? Si the windlass is good and I should be able to replace just the party with the teeth?

[email protected] I don't think it's the brake but I can certainly check again. With the chain straight down (vertical) the windlass would keep spinning but the chain was slipping. When the chain was piled next to it (after I pulled it up by hand) it would pull it into the locker.

Comment

Originally posted by byrner View Post
                I'll take some pictures and grab the model info when I'm at the boat next.
                Destiny_4588 don't take this the wrong way but I thinki had a stroke reading your post. I think you were saying it's possible to replace the gear/teeth part itself ?

MonteVista I assume you meant the same? Si the windlass is good and I should be able to replace just the party with the teeth?

[email protected] I don't think it's the brake but I can certainly check again. With the chain straight down (vertical) the windlass would keep spinning but the chain was slipping. When the chain was piled next to it (after I pulled it up by hand) it would pull it into the locker.
                I thought I used the right terminology in my post Forum The part with teeth is called a gypsy. It is separately replaceable from the windlass so it can be matched for different chain sizes and units (metric or British). If the clutch is OK then you should replace the gypsy. When you say "it slips" do you mean that the windlass motor is spinning along with the gypsy that is attached to it but the chain/rope slips around the gypsy? If so replace your gypsy.
                [email protected]
                [email protected]

Comment

So was the chain slipping over the teeth on the gypsy or was the motor turning but the gypsy wasn't? If the latter it's probably the freewheel brake is slightly loose as mentioned. It would help if we knew what boat and what model windlass. Our muir cougar uses the freewheel function to allow use of the warping drum to raise a secondary anchor rope without turning the chain gypsy.

James
                  1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                  Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                  Lowrance Electronics!
                  Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
                  Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
                  AGLCA #8340
                  MTOA# 7469

Comment

As other folks have said it’s hard to help without knowing your boat and windlass setup.
                    Windlass’s normally have a clutch setup that is adjustable with a large nut/handle. It’s made to slip to save the other parts of the windlass.
                    Did you just get the boat or have you changed the rode?
                    If the chain is slipping through the gypsy, I’d check that the chain and gypsy match.

Comment

I haven't had a chance to get to the boat (a ferry ride away) but the gypsy (thanks for the clarification MonteVista) is spinning with windlass. The chain slips when it does. I keep all the books on the boat in case it's needed while we're in it so I don't have the model here. Hopefully this weekend I'll have the model.

Comment

So, if the gypsy is spinning and the chain slips around it either (a) you have the wrong size gypsy for your chain or, (b) gypsys's teeth are worn! I must say I find it very difficult to accept that the gypsy teeth have all become worn.

My first inclination is to think that you have the wrong size gypsy for your chain. However, your description led me the believe that the set up used to function and suddenly (or slowly) it started slipping. If it never worked well before verify the gypsy size and the size of each link on your chain. Was the gypsy or chain changed from its original?

Good luck
                        [email protected]
                        [email protected]

Comment

It's what came with the boat and served us well the last two summers. It stopped working well when I put it in reverse to set the hook, but we were already at the end of the chain due to the wind (which I didn't realize how strongly it was pushing us back).

Comment

Are you saying you used the Windless in pickup/reverse to the set the hook? Or you set the locks and back down with engines (which is how we do it after set a snubber (we do not let the windless take the load of being at anchor or setting it. If you do not use a snubber over time you put strain and wear on shaft, bearing and gears.....(we learned the hard way on prior boat)
                            Mark
                            USCG OUPV
                            1990 4588
                            Carlsbad, CA

Comment

• byrner
                              byrner commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'd love to understand better how to use a snubber on the chain, can you explain better? or point me to a trusted resource if you don't mind?

*Windlass was not in motion, I usually put the engine in reverse for a sec and coast until it tugs, then sometimes stern tie from there.
                          Working...
                          X