Boat WiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat WiFi

We have a T-Mobile 5g MyFi and it does a terrible job at wifi, barely one bar, can't log in and see anything when away from the boat. Our Marina has WiFi free but I don't want to log into that because it's an open network. What are people doing to get secure, reliable WiFi on their boats? I'm talking about the greater Puget Sound, not remote areas.

Thank you
    1997 Bayliner 2588 Cierra 7.4 Bravo 1 - Mahal
    (past)1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
    (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Most Marina's have open ( insecure) networks. We use them for streaming but not much else. We just use a phone (as hotspot) or a 4G/LTE MyFi when we want a secure connection. I don't believe 5G is very available on the water ( i.e. Greater Puget Sound ) yet. Maybe you should try turning off 5G on your MyFi (forcing it to 4G/LTE) and see if thats any better.

Otherwise you will need to go the route of a more expensive solution (i.e. pro router with external antenna) - Onboard Wireless (https://onboardwireless.com/cellular-routers.html) in Seattle is a good resource.

--Jim
    Althea -- 2000 3988 270 Cummins, Hull Extension
    Semiahmoo, WA

Comment

I use a cellular router. I have an ATT unlimited plan and it works very well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7EA9746C-732F-4231-BD95-B13DF3246EF4.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	645974

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 DOS PECES - SEWARD ALASKA

Whats the weather like on the boat
      https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where am I right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02

Comment

• Simonsen
        Simonsen commented
        Editing a comment
        Kevin, what’s coming out of the back of that other than a power cord and Ethernet? What is the Ethernet connected to? We have “unlimited” T-Mobile plan but as it get’s towards the end of the month it is very slow, at least it is on the MiFi which is 5G and I think 3G…? I didn’t research it very well, ok not at all before we got it. I’ll look into your router assuming you can use that for any cell provider

• ksanders
        ksanders commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a external antenna to improve the range. The ethernet goes to a layer 2 switch and the other ethernet ges to the satellite system

Tmobile Home Internet works very well in Puget Sound, unlimited 5g, router is included free, $50/month. Technically not for mobile but works great. Doesn't work in Canada. The router itself is pretty basic but has strong wifi signal.

I have a Peplink router (balance 20x) with AT&T unlimited (4g, I haven't sprung for the additional 5g modem yet) and the Tmobile 5g home connected to it by ethernet letting me select whichever service I want and providing ethernet and wifi throughout the boat.
      1997 Pacific Mariner 65'- Permission Granted
      Detroit Diesels 8v92TTA
      NL Generators
      1998 Novurania 430DL, 2021 70HP Yamaha

Formerly 2000 Bayliner 4788
      Formerly 2001 Maxum 3300
      Formerly 1996 Celebrity 265

Comment

• Simonsen
        Simonsen commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! I'll look into T-Mobile Home. I checked out Kevin's router and it doesn't support T-Mobile, only Verizon and AT&T

As far as open Wi-Fi what
      you can do is use VPN. VPN sets up an encrypted channel more or less between you and your cell provider or some other
      connection point.
      Tony Bacon,
      Washougal, WA
      Caspian, MMSI 338355743
      1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

• Simonsen
        Simonsen commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, going this route, T-Mobile home isn’t available yet for me…lol. Thanks Tony
    Working...
    X