No announcement yet.

Starlink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin are you going to use the starlink Ethernet adapter? seems simple solution? I have been using there router with no issues so far...
    Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny_4588 View Post
      Kevin are you going to use the starlink Ethernet adapter? seems simple solution? I have been using there router with no issues so far...
      Yes, I am going to use the ethernet adapter, and configure my existing Cradle point router to use the starlink service when available.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 DOS PECES - SEWARD ALASKA - LA PAZ BCS MEXICO

Whats the weather like on the boat
      https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where am I right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02

Comment

• Destiny_4588
        Destiny_4588 commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly what I thinking of doing, I also have cradle point...but have decide if I want to keep it as my simrad electronics will work on wifi as well ...and the 2 smartTV are wifi now, just not sure if there a value add for me with full router (I use shark VPN for my laptop)

• ksanders
        ksanders commented
        Editing a comment
        The value is in that you can have multiple WAN sources. If Starlink is unavailable your router will automatically switch to cellular.

• Destiny_4588
        Destiny_4588 commented
        Editing a comment
        makes sense, my hope is get away from Cell all together, but I need more usage (and your feedback how workins in LA PAZ!)

I have the ethernet adapter connected to a boat router with a VPN s/w loaded (everything connected to the boat router is VPN protected).
      For those things that require VPN - boat router.
      For those non VPN things - the Starlink router
      Pat
      Paragon
      1999 4788

Comment

Built a mounting plate for mine... If I need to remove the dish I can just remove the nuts.

Comment

im just trying mine out tonight. Literally just plugged it in and went through the configuration. Waiting for it to connect.

Installed it on the flybridge bar using a roof mount.

a whole 10 minutes later it connected at 150 mbps

This is COOL!!!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	7ABB8A31-2379-4C3F-84AC-D6A6762191E9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.27 MB ID:	649466

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

My starlink installation is complete!

The unit is mounted to the flybridge "bar" a perfect place BTW. The cable is routed through the void behind the flybridge settee, and the electronic box is mounted inside the electronics cabinet.

One hole drilled, and took me all of an hour.

I just measured 153/12 which is fantastic!

I am using the ethernet cable adapter into my existing cradlepoint router.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6CF2A3A6-899A-4FE7-B3E7-BB45902239C5.png
Views:	186
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	649542

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Sweet so happy it works great for you up there, my understanding it will only get better as head south
              Mark
              USCG OUPV
              1990 4588
              Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Installed Starlink yesterday morning in temporary location strapped to flybridge hatch railing. Used a piece of 1.5” pvc and tee fitting. Had to wrap the shaft of the Starlink dish with some tape to snug up the fit into the pvc. Modem is inside flybridge cabinet and plugged in there. Starlink setup up took 10 minutes and viola Internet thruout the boat.

I intend to move the dish to the radar arch and route the cable down to the flybridge cabinet. I am investigating different dish installation options. It appears some sort of flat mount by disabling the dish motors results in no appreciable loss of performance. Still looking into this. One disadvantage for us will be being able to use Starlink in our covered slip if I lose ability to move the dish to see more of the sky.

I don’t see any reason to move the modem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	649657
                2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                MV Kia Orana
                Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

I'm in the "same boat" as you with the covered slip. That's why I opted for the panel. I can affix that to the hard cover but still move the sat if I need to. Up here (Vancouver) there's quite a tilt when it configured itself but I've never tried it in fixed position.

Comment

Mine is mounted on that same railing, using a stainless fishing Rod holder with set screws drilled thru to keep the dish from moving.

If you have satellite tv, do testing for interference of the tv channels before finalizing your location. I have Dish Network and get significant interference when the Starlink and Dish signals are crossing each other. I’m not sure of a suitable location to mount the Starlink dish to avoid this.
                    Pat
                    Paragon
                    1999 4788

Comment

I was thinking a little more about it last night. I’ve got too much stuff in the area where it’s currently mounted. (Kayak, BBQ, crab traps and Starlink). It’s my hope to have its permanent location on the radar arch. Possibly the solution is to have two cables. One run up to the radar arch and one that can be routed as needed to see enough of the sky when we are in our slip. We bow in so the stern has some view of the sky. I will have to check when we get back to the slip. I could just use the stock stand for those occasions, my pvc temp setup stuck into the corner hawse holes or a rod holder on the transom. We don’t have sat tv but good idea to check for interference with other devices up there. I had not thought of that!

At any rate, here we sit in desolation sound with perfect connectivity. Daughter and boyfriend are aboard. He’s working a bit while here. I guess that’s good and bad. Haha! Isn’t boating and all that’s involved, just about one of the most enjoyable things a person can do?
                      MV Kia Orana

Comment

More on the satellite TV interference in case anyone is interested. In my current tied up location, I had bad TV with Starlink turned on. SL (mounted at the aft railing) was angled/pointed toward the bow and for DishNetwork, it was looking south toward the starboard aft stern corner, so definitely crossing signal patterns. I experimented a little with tin foil blocking various portions of the SL antenna to see if the Dish pixelation would go away (I was also trying to get SL to reposition to satellites in a southerly direction, so a beam parallel with DishTV beam and maybe not so much interference). The attached picture is where I had to locate the tin foil to restore typical HDTV channels and still have SL working with comparable speeds.

It appears the lower portion of the phase arrays within the SL antenna were doing the interfering and the upper portion phased arrays were beaming over/above the satellite signal. This has me fairly convince that disabling the motors and having Click image for larger version

Name:	288190219_762055991486822_9179310342228329391_n.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	649777the SL antenna in a flat position is the way to go. I'm hoping to do that in the next few days and can provide an update.

Will also be in Desolation in a few days...
                        Pat
                        Paragon
                        1999 4788

Comment

Two friends work from their sailboat and need steady connectivity. He got Starlink about 6 weeks ago and has been experimenting. He has found flat mounting has worked well for him. He disabled the motors by drilling a hole in the back and installing a switch. He leaves it turned off. He learned where to precisely drill the hole from a forum discussion. I will find out where he got the info.
                          MV Kia Orana

Comment

Just did the drill last night and removed the wire. I don't see ever needing to tilt the unit so didn't install a switch, just a little cover. I followed the instructions from Elli Yacht on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCOg...index=2&t=594s

I'll be heading up to the San Juans Saturday and then desolation on the 16th, will let you know my experience. I have it connected to a Peplink Balance 20x with internal AT&T LTE and Tmobile 5g home internet (Tmobile and Starlink connect via ethernet to the router). I can then prioritize traffic to whichever connection either automatically or manually with instant failover--exciting to see how well it all works this summer!

So far in my slip I saw no loss of speed by mounting flat vs. the previously tilted position.
                            1997 Pacific Mariner 65'- Permission Granted
                            Detroit Diesels 8v92TTA
                            NL Generators
                            1998 Novurania 430DL, 2021 70HP Yamaha

Formerly 2000 Bayliner 4788
                            Formerly 2001 Maxum 3300
                            Formerly 1996 Celebrity 265

Comment

I just mounted mine on a flat place and I let the motors do their job.

am i missing out on something?

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
                              X