No announcement yet.

Starlink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From having a whole 5 days or use with moving around I am NOT convince that pointing it straight up is the best option, we watch it adjust while on our mooring and in our slip, I assume that statelite engineers put adjusting motors for in it for reason....thinking some thing like this but honestly it seems more options are coming out every week on the RV side that would work equally well on boat
    https://thesatelliteshop.net/product...nk-roof-mount/
    Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Installed ours on the radar arch over the weekend. Working very well at the dock, but no experience on anchor yet. We plan to stow it while in motion between locations.

Routed the cable down to the cabinet on starboard side across from the galley, as I already had an AC plug and space in the back behind our coffee maker - ends up being a nice central location within the boat.

Used the StarLink pipe mount attachment, but considering ways to reinforce the connection as I am a bit worried about rough water survival... Overall it seems pretty sturdy, time will tell.

GMS
      2008 Meridian 490
      2010 ArrowCat Express 30 (sold)

Comment

Hi All-

I just wanted to post an update on my Starlink purchase. I bought it last Thursday and they said that it would be two weeks for deliver. To my delight it arrived last night. Today I unboxed it and plugged it in. Easy-peasy. Even though we have a lot of large trees surrounding our house it connected fine with the antenna sitting on the ground. Connection speed was about 80 MPS. This afternoon I took it down to the marina and set it up beside the boat house. Lots of obstructions there but I was still getting 40 MPS. We won't be able to give it a real test until we head out on the water at the end of this month, but so far it looks like a winner.

-Don.

Comment

If you have SL, a suggestion to consider that I've come across: once you have SL installed and have connected to your phone, delete the app and reinstall it. When I did this, the app had additional network sevices that weren't there before.
          Pat
          Paragon
          1999 4788

Comment

Thanks Pat. Great suggestion. It even includes a speed test.

-Don.

Comment

Received mine on Wednesday, hooked it up same night. Says it can take about 24 hours to calibrate and connect. Some time overnight it connected and was available in the morning. Phone connected to it was fine, however, when I switched my work connection to it, started having issues. It seems like it drops the connection rather frequently. I'm in meetings most of the day and having the meet freeze, and or I drop is not good.
              It's currently sitting on the floor of my upper (raised) deck, but so far will be quite the trade off on at being able to work most of the time from very remote, but not efficiently as I drop out of meetings. In the end I had to switch back to my home wireless router during a meeting bc it was important.
              I'll keep running tests and trying to work off it and report more info as I get it.

Speed was 150mbps which is faster than I get on my home connection with a bonded pair (no fibre here yet).

Comment

• Destiny_4588
                Destiny_4588 commented
                Editing a comment
                did you use the starlink app to confirm you have unobstruck view? we have not had that issue (again only on 1 week of use today from our RV and hard part was finding view with out a tree in the way but it works great once we did

• byrner
                byrner commented
                Editing a comment
                I did use the app. Apparently I'm not the only experiencing the drops though - how are you confirming that yours doesn't drop? I'm in meetings for 6-8 hours a day depending on the day, so it's very easy to detect any drop.

My Starlink shipped yesterday and I cannot wait to get it installed later this month.

While my boat is on the hard for a few weeks I am enjoying life in La Paz.

The whole mount issue seems like it will be relatively easy. I am not going to re-engineer the thing. My approach will be to remove the legs and figure out a mount for the metal tube that the legs attach to.

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 DOS PECES - SEWARD ALASKA - LA PAZ BCS MEXICO

Whats the weather like on the boat
              https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where am I right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02

Comment

• Bacon
                Bacon commented
                Editing a comment
                I fell way behind following your journey. La Paz!!! Congratulations! Hope you are on the hard by choice.

• ksanders
                ksanders commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! I needed to get a couple seacocks rerplaced as well as a ding on my swim platform.
                My on the hard time also allowed me time to drive my truck to La Paz.

Did u figure out the mount? I'd rather not put new holes in the hard roof portion of my 4087. Was thinking a plate with screws/ bolts sticking up would allow me to sika flex it, and I can mount or remove the dish with nuts

Comment

Originally posted by byrner View Post
                Did u figure out the mount? I'd rather not put new holes in the hard roof portion of my 4087. Was thinking a plate with screws/ bolts sticking up would allow me to sika flex it, and I can mount or remove the dish with nuts
                I bought the RV unit and then bought the variable roof mount. This is a mount designed for any flat surface.

Have not done the installation yet but am planning on this weekend when I am back cruising my way south to Mexico.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Do you mean the pivot Mount? I didn't see "variable roof mount" on the store accessories page in the app.

Comment

Do you mean the pivot Mount? I didn't see "variable roof mount" on the store accessories page in the app.
                    This is from my latest order. Correct, pivot mount!

Click image for larger version  Name:	BF9556B1-63A3-4E33-AF3A-70FA815FFF16.jpg Views:	0 Size:	608.6 KB ID:	649193

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

So are u planning on leaving it mounted while you move?

Comment

Just installed an RV version at my cabin last week. Repurposed an old Dish Network mount (tossed the dish network dish). I used to install those old giant commercial dishes 30-40 years ago and this was the easiest install I have ever done! I also used the ethernet adaptor and direct-wired in 2 more access points. Using the RV version of the service I had 11Mbps down / 7 up after the dish aligned itself for 12 min. The only complaint I have is the DHCP scope is not configurable so the few things I need to have permanent IPs (APs, camera system, NAS) will eventually get stepped on by DHCP assignments...

In a month I am going to swap the unit out for the permanent version and re-purpose the RV unit. It will be interesting to see if I measure any differences in bandwidth.
                        Current: 1998 Bayliner 4085 - Cummins 6BTA 370's
                        Past: 2004 Monterey 322 - Volvo 5.7 GXi's
                        Past: 1987 Silverton 34X - Crusader 454's

Comment

So are u planning on leaving it mounted while you move?
                          of course. I see no reason to remove it except in the case of a severe storm like a hurricane.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Originally posted by NotSure View Post
                            Just installed an RV version at my cabin last week. Repurposed an old Dish Network mount (tossed the dish network dish). I used to install those old giant commercial dishes 30-40 years ago and this was the easiest install I have ever done! I also used the ethernet adaptor and direct-wired in 2 more access points. Using the RV version of the service I had 11Mbps down / 7 up after the dish aligned itself for 12 min. The only complaint I have is the DHCP scope is not configurable so the few things I need to have permanent IPs (APs, camera system, NAS) will eventually get stepped on by DHCP assignments...

In a month I am going to swap the unit out for the permanent version and re-purpose the RV unit. It will be interesting to see if I measure any differences in bandwidth.
                            What I am going to do is hardwire an ethernet cable to my router and not use the starlink WIFI, or local area network.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
                            X