Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starlink

Hi All-

Getting ready for another boating season and I am looking at different options for staying electronically connected while in Desolation Sound. In the past I have used Telus and Bell sticks to keep our computers connected to the internet. Service for both is iffy (depending on how close you are to the Sarah Point tower). They are both limited in the amount that you can download in a month unless you want to pay a kings ransom in overage charges. I am now considering trying Starlink as an alternative. I have been told that due to their phased array antenna they do not need a gyroscopic mount and that a boat at anchor should be able to stream unlimited internet at speeds of 100-200 mbs. It sounds great, but before I plunk down my money I am wondering if anyone in our community has tried it? If so, what was it like?

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

-Don.

I have following a few FB groups on Starlink and Sea Cortez boating group all are having great experiences with it. I am in line to get one but showing 2023 for us. There is rumor of a marine mounted version coming early next year as well. Lots of RV people using them and also giving great positive feedback.
    Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

Comment

First thing you must do is punch in your location as the address in Desolation Sound to see if the service is available there. Starlink has many holes so to say where there is no coverage however as more satellites are launched there will be less holes. I entered the address of my home and no problem, I then entered the address of our marina and it says they expect service to be available in 2023 at that location.

Regardless, the hardware is over $700 which will change when they get into in motion eventually that will officially cover the boating and RV world specifically so maybe wait a little before jumping on board. I will definitely scrap/sell my Intellian in motion TV dish and replace with a "in motion" Starlink when it eventually arrives.

This map will help. https://www.starlink.com/map

This video is very helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m65CsD__WzY
      Cheers, Hans
      2007 Carver 41 CMY
      Twin Volvo D6-370
      Montreal, Canada
      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny_4588 View Post
          I have following a few FB groups on Starlink and Sea Cortez boating group all are having great experiences with it. I am in line to get one but showing 2023 for us. There is rumor of a marine mounted version coming early next year as well. Lots of RV people using them and also giving great positive feedback.
          Agree.

I also follow several Starlink Facebook groups and there are very active user reports of good success. If you're on FB I suggest looking for "Starlink on Boats" and "Starlink for RVers and other mobile users".
          MV Dreams - 1999 3988
          330 Cummins
          Wrangell, AK

Comment

I’ve had Starlink at my home for about two years. I got on the waiting list the day it became available and still had to wait what seemed like an eternity.
            The service itself has gotten progressively better and better. Today its unbelievably fast and usually quite reliable. I highly recommend it to all my friends.
            I’m aware that people have been using their dishes away from their homes but supposedly it was limited to how far away from your home addresses location due to programming. However, just this last week Starlink officially is charging $25 a month for using it remotely. They state that using it on a moving vehicle will void your warranty but should be fine at the dock or maybe even on the hook. The service is available in Desolation so I’m sure it’ll work. I’m going to temporarily add the Starlink roof mount to my radar arch and unlimited Wi-Fi here we come!
            Todd, Lenore, Ryder and River
            1994 3888
            210 Hino’s with Hurth 630’s
            Cruise Inn

Comment

Thanks again.

-Don.

Comment

I have been on the list to get it for about a year now and no love. So the wait times to get the service can be substantial.
                Current: 1998 Bayliner 4085 - Cummins 6BTA 370's
                Past: 2004 Monterey 322 - Volvo 5.7 GXi's
                Past: 1987 Silverton 34X - Crusader 454's

Comment

Working...
                X