Carrying an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) for long cruises…

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Omega
    Seasoned Member
    • Apr 2013

Carrying an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) for long cruises…

Hey all,

I’ve been thinking about buying an automated external defibrillator (AED) for long cruises, etc in case there’s a cardiac emergency occurs. Anyone have one on board, or have any recommendations on a good unit to carry? If so anyone know the best place to purchase one?

Thanks,
    ~BJ
    BJ
    OMEGA
  • ksanders
    Site Team Member
    • Jul 2001

Originally posted by igiftmon
    Hey all,

I’ve been thinking about buying an automated external defibrillator (AED) for long cruises, etc in case there’s a cardiac emergency occurs. Anyone have one on board, or have any recommendations on a good unit to carry? If so anyone know the best place to purchase one?

Thanks,
    ~BJ
    I thought about one and then thought that since I cruise alone what's the use.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 DOS PECES - SEWARD ALASKA - LA PAZ BCS MEXICO

Whats the weather like on the boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where am I right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets

Comment

• Pcpete
      Supporting Member
      • Aug 2016

Kevin, you may be cruising alone, or mostly alone, but you are going to be around people. At the dock, maybe rafting, whatever, it’s going to be the larger amount of time. If you are no the boat on a passage and something happens, well, maybe you’re off to a new adventure. The AED is good at shocking someone with fibrillation, meaning the heart is just quivering and not pumping, and cardiac arrest caused by a myocardial infarction, aka a widow maker. However, getting past the event is one thing. They need to be transported to a hospital at best possible speed. No, I’m not a doctor, I was a firefighter/emt for ten years. Another thing I’m retired from.
      You could look at it like a fire extinguisher. Hope you never need it, but it’s there if you or someone else does and knows how to operate it then what needs to be done after the reaction and direct action parts of the emergency are mostly over.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

• Omega
        Seasoned Member
        • Apr 2013

I was also thinking about carrying a KareliaMobile device… maybe I’m a little overthinking things, but I figure you can never be too careful.

I don’t have any known heart issues, but about 30years ago I was staying at a marina for a long weekend. Behind me came this beautiful, new Tollycraft. It was my dream boat. I drooled and the new owner shared that he had just took delivery of his new boat a week earlier and retired the day before getting to the marina. It was his first cruise. We were at Pleasant Harbor.

That Friday night the marina lulled off to quiet sleep. About 2am or so, all hell broke loose with sirens, etc…. Long story short, the gentleman who had just retired and was on the first cruise with his new boat, had experienced a heart attack. The boat sat empty all weekend and I couldn’t stop thinking about him. Ever since, I’ve wondered if he survived, if he ever got to enjoy his dream and what ever happened to he and his wife.

That experience always left me feeling as soon as I could afford one, I wanted to get and carry whatever equipment I could to help me, those on my boat and anyone else who needed help in a circumstance like that….hence the question surrounding the AED.
        BJ
        OMEGA

Comment

• Jeffw
          Guru
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by ksanders

I thought about one and then thought that since I cruise alone what's the use.
          I just had one installed in my chest last December, so there is that...
          Jeff & Tara (And Hobie too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ
          |
          Current: 2022 Sun Tracker Sport Fish 22 XP3 w/ Mercury 200
          2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
          2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
          2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
          2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
          And 13 others...
          In memory of Shadow (7-2-10,) and Ginger (5-11-21.)
          Best boat dogs ever! Rest in peace girls...

Comment

• smitty477
            Guru
            • Mar 2007

The ones we have were recommended by our AED trainer at the time - they are Phillips with both child and adult pads.
            We took the course before we bought the units and they also recommended a source to purchase which weas below the costs of what we researched online at the time.
            Also - they do need service on a regular basis.
            Northport NY

Comment

• LPurcell
              Frequent Contributor
              • Mar 2007

I have an AED on board whenever I take the boat out - and not just for long cruises. When not on the boat it is at home with me. It's also in my car during road trips. It doesn't do any good to have one if it is not nearby when needed. I bought a Philips HeartStart FRx with adult pads and a child key that automatically turns down the power for use on children (you use the same pads, just a different power level for children). I purchased it from American AED. Yes, it requires periodic replacement of pads and the battery.

You simply have to ask yourself, "Is my life (or my loved ones life) worth it"? Since I am the one most likely to need it, both the wife and adult son (usual companions) have also been certified for use.
              Larry Purcell
              1999 2452 Classic
              Merc 5.0L, Alpha 1 Gen 2
              San Diego, CA

Comment

• MerlinV
                Supporting Member
                • Mar 2007

You could look at it like a fire extinguisher. Hope you never need it, but it’s there if you or someone else does
                This statement is right on the money. Consider the cost of an AED, we wouldn’t think twice about spending that kind of money on our boats if they needed it, so it’s worth it to have one on board for you or your family, and potentially you’ll have an opportunity to try to save the life of others in a time of need.

Our Power Squadron group takes an AED on all group cruises, and our yacht club has AED’s at all of our outstations - good investments.
                Rob
                Bayliner 5788
                'Merlin V'
                Vancouver BC

Comment

• Destiny_4588
                  Supporting Member
                  • Sep 2007

We add this a few years back when did our trip from Long Beach to La Paz, Mexico and lucky have not needed, but very very glad to have it on board and do NOT plan to every leave without one at this point.
                  Mark
                  USCG OUPV
                  1990 4588
                  Carlsbad, CA

Comment

• randygh
                    Seasoned Member
                    • Nov 2020

Seventeen years ago my Admiral suffered a cardiac arrest in the middle of the night. With God's intervention I immediately woke up, realized she just died and immediately started CPR (I had much training). Called 911. Did CPR for 10 min, broke 3 of ribs, before EMS arrived. They paramedic shocked her with an AED, hit a vein and started an epi drip. Made it to the hospital, where she was chilled in a coma for 24 hrs. She came out alive with no brain damage. She's on her second internal defibrillator and doing very well. Yes, I think having an AED onboard is a good idea. My Admiral would not be with me if we were at an anchorage or marina where there was no EMS.
                    "Del-Sea"
                    '98, 2859
                    7.4 Mercruiser, B II
                    Ferndale, WA. USA

Comment

• joe440
                      Seasoned Member
                      • Nov 2011

This is the AED we have at work. I test the batteries on the first of each month. For maintenance the batteries and pads are replaced every 5 years.
                      1992 4588
                      WitchWay

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

• jmoultray
                        Seasoned Member
                        • Oct 2014

I bought one a few years ago and have made sure to replace the battery as needed. I think we spent $800 on Ebay. I bought the Physio Control Lifepak 1000. This has a higher power shock than the more popular brands and the battery lasts a long time.

At the time I bought it I was only 36, though overweight, but the real concern for me is I don't ever want the memory of having a parent or anyone else die on board my boat!

Doing some research about cardiac arrest (NOT a heart attack, that is very different) an AED needs to be applied within 6 minutes, every minute that passes from there reduces survival by 10%--how many docks can you even make it up to the marina office and back in that time--if you are anchored out there is simply zero chance of someone surviving a cardia arrest without an aed on board.

Long story short, yes we have one on board. I also have stickers on the cupboard it is in and I keep meaning to put a sticker on the stern of the boat so others are aware if needed.
                        1997 Pacific Mariner 65'- Permission Granted
                        Detroit Diesels 8v92TTA
                        NL Generators
                        1998 Novurania 430DL, 2021 70HP Yamaha

Formerly 2000 Bayliner 4788
                        Formerly 2001 Maxum 3300
                        Formerly 1996 Celebrity 265

Comment

• Jim_Gandee
                          BOC Site Team
                          • Apr 2011

AED’s are wonderful devices and have saved many lives! In the early 80’s when I was a fireman paramedic for the largest fire dept in Los Angeles County I was assigned to the paramedic squad ( read just like the TV show emergency). As paramedics we carried the LifePak 5 heart monitor/defibrillator. Because our station was very busy, 15-20 runs per day, the engine was chosen to carry a new device called an AED and be part of a test program. We all scoffed as how could a defibrillator know what heart rhythm someone was in. Keep in mind, a large part of paramedic training is EKG interpretation and Tx. Sure enough within two weeks the AED had actually saved a life! We were all shocked, no pun intended! Fast forward several years, every apparatus now carries an AED.
                          It’s important to note that any defibrillator is only effective in treating ventricular fibrillation and AED’s will only shock a person in VFib. There are many other heart arrhythmias that are fatal, or potentially fatal, that the AED will not, can not convert. The morale is AED’s are incredible machines and capable of saving lives. However, do not expect them to shock an unresponsive patient in all, or even most cases. They will only deliver a shock when VFib is recognized by the machine.
                          Jim Gandee
                          1989 3888
                          Hino 175's
                          Fire Escape
                          [email protected]
                          Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Working...