Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4550 Steering fluid leak pilot house

Hello everyone.
    We are enjoying getting to know our new boat, however i went to check on it in our recent snow event the other night and discovered a stream of red fluid ( hydraulic I assume) coming from the helm wheel. Sadley a small stream ran all the way down to the carpet.
    Has anyone had this before? I have an absorbent pad around the hub hub to absorb until I can get a closer look.
    There is screws holding the cover and it appears to be coming from the bottom screw.
    Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Your steering wheel hub seals have failed. There are threads on this site regarding repair after obtaining a seal kit! You will need to remove the oil lines from the back of the hub, remove the steering wheel, then unscrew those 4 screw/bolts at the front and the hub will come out for repair. Access for the area behind the helm is thru a roof hatch in the breezeway near the master entrance (at least in the 4788).

Before you remove the oil lines, release the oil pressure from the steering reservoir at the stern. Mark the hose lines or take a pic, so you replace the lines correctly after repair.

Oh yes, when you pull the hub apart, do it on a towel on a bench or table! The ball bearings can fall out and run away 🤭.

Cheers
    John H
    Brisbane QLD Aust
    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

• Watertime3218
      Watertime3218 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you John
      We live in a condo and I still work a lot so I have decided to hire someone to do them both for me.

Thank You, Don't think I have that hatch you mentioned.

Comment

Purge the air from the reservoir, it will slow the leak. The 47s have access through the ceiling in the forward state room as Higgins said. The seal kit # HS-05 also you can watch videos on YouTube look up Hynautic Hydraulic helm H-50

Comment

Assuming you have the same Hynautic helm that I have on my 3988 I found this video to be very helpful. Also the instructions that come with the rebuild kit are pretty good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHzIMW79MZY&t=766s

I rebuilt my upper helm last spring and it was a pretty straightforward job. You will need a bicycle pump or equivalent to re-pressurize your fluid reservoir.
        MV Dreams - 1999 3988
        330 Cummins
        Wrangell, AK

Comment

• Watertime3218
          Watertime3218 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, Great video.

• Watertime3218
          Watertime3218 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, great video

here two files, one is on the rebuild that I thought was helpful and a pdf on purging as that is the time consuming PIA part (absolutely easier with 2 people)
        Do BOTH units while you are doing this, we had the lower helm fail at the beginning of long trip, did both units, 2nd one look worse when opened up, so easier I think to knock out both upper and lower as same time and helps on the blending. Ps we now carry 3 nuts to put in the lines if either is leak again,we can cap off one pumps lines and still have system to get home with (did not have that before). Also carry spare fluid and bike pump now as well
        Attached Files
        Mark
        USCG OUPV
        1990 4588
        Carlsbad, CA

Comment

• Watertime3218
          Watertime3218 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Mark
          I agree about doing both, With most things if one goes I do both because its easier to keep track of.
          We live in a condo and I still work a lot so I have decided to hire someone to do them both for me.
          I appreciate the files.
      Working...
      X