Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Depth finder showing wrong depth (Auto Helm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depth finder showing wrong depth (Auto Helm)

I have an array of Auto Helm instruments and I don't know if they are stock on the 4588 Bayliner (1993). I had the bottom painted and now the Auto Helm depth is off by ~60 feet. It doesn't track actual distances (So I can't say 45 == 6', 55 == 16' etc). There is a sensor in the stairs leading down to the staterooms that is embedded in the hull. There doesn't appear to be any damage to it.

There is a second depth finder, it's one of the round gauges that match the other instruments. I think that's the stock one. And it's working. Is that the sensor that's in the stairs?

If I was to go on a hunt for the second depth sensor, where would be the first 5 places to look?

Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Some PO put a bunch of thru-hull transducers on my boat. I've got some under the engines, in front of the engines, under the stairs, next to the holding tank, and in the VIP stateroom closet.
    Brad
    Lake Union, Seattle
    1987 Bayliner 4550 "Ark Angel"
    Hino EH700T / MG-502 / Cummins Onan 7kw
    Seattle Yacht Club

Comment

You stated hull was just painted could the yard have painted over the transducer and now cannot read depth or speed/distance.
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

Try getting a diver to scrape the paint off the transducer. My secondary depth sounder (the transducer being under the stairs as yours appears to be) had been playing up, and I cleaned off the surface with a scraper and some acetone when it was on the hard last week, and it’s working much better now!

Cheers
        John H
        Brisbane QLD Aust
        "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

It's possible, but they have painted a number of times and it's not seemed to have made a difference. As far as I know neither one of the hull sensors are below the hull.

Comment

Hey Higgins, is that sensor part of the Auto Helm (do you have Auto Helm?) or is it the round gauge on the pilothouse and flybridge panels, they are both working.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7441D51C-A36E-45C3-ACE8-91FA34A416AB.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	634689 I’m getting a tad confused with your terminology. When you say “Autohelm”, do you mean Autopilot? That is separate from any depth sounder transducer. Pics of the round gauges you are talking about would help.

Yes, I have “Standard” brand depth “round” gauges on the pilot house and flybridge. They are linked and get their reading from a single thru hull transducer under the breezeway stairs. Often when antifoul is applied, they paint over the sensor that comes thru the hull.

More info, preferably pics to know exactly what you are referring to!

Cheers
              John H
              Brisbane QLD Aust
              "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

I am thinking that a thru hull transformer whose surface is solidly covered with some kind of paint it would show less, not more than actual depth if the signal bounces more quickly from the paint layer. Given your symptom I would guess that the bottom paint contains tiny air bubbles (pockets) in it and the signals travel more slowly through that. Just scraping ANY thru hull transducer that may be covered with any kind of paint should cure this. You may try to follow the cable from the gauge to determine where the transducer is attached to and get someone to get in the water to scrape its surface.
                Retired, computer expert / executive
                Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                [email protected]
                [email protected]

Comment

Foster,
                  we have two transducer locations. One is under the the bottom stair at the aft end of the companionway. The other is under the floor of the vip guest room closet.
                  2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                  12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                  MV Kia Orana
                  Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Hey John H, that is the same depth finder that I have! It's the one that works, and there is a sensor under the steps that lead from the companionway to the salon. So that all makes sense.

The brand name on the devices are AutoHelm, they are a precursor (or maybe was bought by Raymarine. I was trying to not confuse people by using the brand name. They have orange branding on them.

Thanks for the hint about the mid-cabin closet, it makes sense that the sensor would be in that area, it would be easy to get the wires to the pilot house. I'll dig around there when I go down this week.

I'd also think that the depth would drop with the paint stopping the sensor.

Thanks for all the help, I'll report back when it get's resolved.

Comment

Working...
                    X