Accent stripe color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accent stripe color?

Due to my neighbor’s slight docking problem (!) I’m having some fiberglass repairs done to my 3288. His anchor managed to poke a hole in the cabin half on and half off one of the stripes. So the stripes will need to be painted to match the repair.

So the big question is what color? They are currently black but when I look on the interweb I see light gray and the occasional dark blue as well as black and none.

I’m leaning towards dark blue.

I know it’s dangerous to ask for opinions but here goes……..!

Looking at your Avatar pic. and my 2 cents worth I'd say BLACK only because you would have to change all of them boot,cabin,flybridge and both Port and Starboard to look right.
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

• Mad Manc
      Mad Manc commented
      Editing a comment
      At the moment I'm planning on getting all three changed so I have some flexibility. I can save $400 if I stay black and don't do the boot stripe!

Click image for larger version

Name:	341554D9-97BF-4CAB-A12D-40A8CE6DA4CB.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	633548
    Maybe it’s time to remove the outdated stripes? Click image for larger version

Name:	341554D9-97BF-4CAB-A12D-40A8CE6DA4CB.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	633549
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    [email protected]
    Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

• Mad Manc
      Mad Manc commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the clean look but I have the stripes and pin stripes. It may be more expensive to get rid of them all.

Like Jim I also removed all the strips except the Boot stripe. Just Google "Rubber Eraser Wheel" Its a great DIY project.
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

• Pcpete
      Pcpete commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus one on the rubber eraser wheel.

• Johnny_Vintage
      Johnny_Vintage commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks good. My stripes look like crap. Was there much difference between the gel coat under the stripes and the rest of the gel coat?

I too have a 38. How long did it take and how many wheels did you use?

• brad4550
      brad4550 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jonny
      I ordered 2 wheels only used 1, no difference in color however the stripe area was ever so slightly raised due I guess to buffing and after my years of buffing no longer noticeable.

On my 3788 the boot strip is gelcoat. Are you sure yours are painted on?
    Tony Bacon,
    Washougal, WA
    Caspian, MMSI 338355743
    1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

Well, we thought it through and decided to go with the clean, no stripe option but..........due to the age of the boat there is a discernible step where the old gelcoat has been buffed down and the areas where the stripes are. Also the repair shop declined to remove the vinyl stripes and then paint new ones. So, I'm busy removing the old vinyl stripes and Amazon just delivered new black vinyl stripes and "knifeless" tape (to cut the taper).

Should be an interesting job!

Comment

Working...
      X