Inverter battery charger failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inverter battery charger failure

Captain Pauly here. I just bought a 1985 Bayliner 4550 with a Xantrex inverter charger. This morning while running the AC for heat and electric heaters the inverter charger breaker tripped. The inverter still provides AC but now there doesn’t seem to be charging of the batteries. Some receptacles don’t work now either. I’m worried I don’t have battery charging capability from the gen set without the inverter charger. I was Anchored with the GEN set running powering all systems. Battery monitor shows 96% charge, 13.5 V, 12 A output. I tried resetting the inverter charger breaker twice but a loud pop and flash appear behind the panel seams.
    Any suggestions or questions for further diagnostics?

Hi Pauly
    I assume your talking "loud pop/flash " was behind the A/C panel. Make sure ALL power is off shore, gen,inverter remove the 6 screws and lower panel,a good inspection and nose will lead you to the problem.
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

Which panel seams???

On the inverter itself or your main electrical panel?

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
      www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
      https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Flash and pop at the inverter charger breaker and seen at the bottom of the AC panel. As you described Brad. Are there serviceable parts I can replace behind this panel easily? I can’t charge my battery right now at anchor with no shore power I don’t think. There are lots of spare parts on the boat, I just have to figure out which one fits the application.

Comment

I took the inverter charger breaker out shown at right in the picture. I’m going to put this red switch breaker in its place to see if I can run the charger. They seem to have the same identical rating. I guess the red switch is Normally on a DC panel and the black switch is normally on an AC panel. I hope I don’t burn my boat down.

Comment

Pics
            Attached Files

Comment

First....unplug/disconnect what is being powered on that circuit. Re-energize circuit, see if breaker holds. Then plug in/repower one item at a time. See what happens.
              Whatch your ammeter as you re-energize to make sure you aren't over loading the circuit.

Comment

The ampacity rating is not the same for those two breakers.

Comment

My guess is that this is not a breaker failure.

I could be wrong but I've not seen a breaker fail like that.

I do not have a challenge with you trying the red breaker. It is rated for 25 ampos where the black original one was 30 amps.

My opinion here is that your 30 amp breaker should be smaller. Why??? you should not have the same size breaker in you panel as the main breaker feeding it.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Which model Xantrex inverter/charger do you have? From the description of the problem I would guess that the inverter's transfer relay has developed a fault and incoming AC (i.e. from the GEN) is not being reflected to its output. An earlier model Xantrex that I owned (1000i) did not have a built-in transfer relay and I had implemented and installed one myself. It is possible (probable) that if an external xfer relay has been installed that would be behind the main AC panel (where you heard the pop/flash).

I would try to locate the GEN output and somehow wire it directly to the battery charger AC input.

Good luck
                    Retired, computer expert / executive
                    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                    [email protected]
                    [email protected]

Comment

Thanks Carmine and MontE and Kevin
                      i’ve tried switching off all breakers in the left column and applying power with breaker number three on. It still trips with the flash. In column three the last breaker is the inverter transfer switch. It’s a model freedom 25 from heart interface.
                      Running the electrical components simultaneously as I did was obviously more than the system could manage which I believe caused a fault somewhere or a short or damage to the charger itself. Switching the circuit breakers at position number three in the left column made no difference and it’s still popped so I switch them back.
                      I believe that my Gen set will not charge any batteries in this current configuration. I had trouble starting the engines and had to switch to house batteries for a start. I ran the engines for a half hour with the GEN set on hoping to charge the starting batteries.
                      Inverter is working and providing AC power.
                      Before I start shopping for a inverter battery charger to replace the heart freedom 25, any recommendations on type of charger that might be better? I’ll probably have a technician come to the boat to diagnose further before I buy anything.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Your inverter/charger has a built-in xfer relay. I am still guessing that the fault lies with that. I am also curious why the ammeter on the left is showing a reverse current. I would have the inverter/charger checked. It is not necessarily at the end of its road, replacement of a component or two might bring it back to life.
                        Retired, computer expert / executive
                        Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                        Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                        D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                        [email protected]
                        [email protected]

Comment

your inverter charger should run once powered by the DC batteries, with that you can turn it off (Xantrex should have power button on the panel) - if you do that does the breaker still pops? if yes I suggest removing the input (neutral and hot) wires and insulate the ends then reset the breaker, if it still does it then you have a short in the wiring, if not, you should have a corresponding breaker on the Xantrex unit, that's usually less than your panel breaker (on mine the panel is 30 amp and the xantrex has a 20 amp breaker on input) - the breaker on the inverter charger should pop before your panel one (generally speaking that should be the case but from what you describe sounds more like a short not an overload).

EDIT: looks like yours has a 30 amp breaker on the unit as well. I would power off the unit first and if still pops check the wiring.

Comment

From your description of the issue, I would suspect that the internal relay to switch from invert mode to charging/transfer has shorted. I would discontinue attempting to make it go into charge mode as there is a serious issue as demonstrated by the trip of the breaker and so violent that there is flash of sparks when it happens.

As a further thought, because of the manner of how inverters create 120 volts from 12 volts, this issue maybe putting 240 volts onto this line. The failed outlets adds further concern to diagnose this issue fully.

Highly recommend having a technician evaluate.
                            Ron O'Blenis
                            B 38 175 Hinos 1989
                            Completed Great Loop
                            https://ronandfaye.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RDOIII View Post
                              From your description of the issue, I would suspect that the internal relay to switch from invert mode to charging/transfer has shorted. I would discontinue attempting to make it go into charge mode as there is a serious issue as demonstrated by the trip of the breaker and so violent that there is flash of sparks when it happens.

As a further thought, because of the manner of how inverters create 120 volts from 12 volts, this issue maybe putting 240 volts onto this line. The failed outlets adds further concern to diagnose this issue fully.

Highly recommend having a technician evaluate.
                              Yes I would second that.

If it were my boat I'd be upgrading that old invertyer/charger to a full sine wave model. Lots of good brands out there to choose from.

Since the OP is not electrical savvy I'd hire this job out. Mess up an electrical installation and your boat can catch fire.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
                              X