STINK-A-RAMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STINK-A-RAMA

We have been using THETFORD AQUA-KEM in our holding tanks for 30 years. Never any head odor at all.

They just discontinued it and replace it with AQUA MAX.

Totally useless. Our boat now stinks.

Anyone else using this crap?

We are not sure what to use now.

Any suggestions?

Verify your vent is clear and unobstructed.
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    [email protected]
    Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Nothing to do with that. It's the piss poor product. I go on to the dock, my wife pumps the head and the vent pumps out disgusting reaking air.

California nixed the old formula and now North America is paying for it!!!

Comment

Johnny,

We've had the same issues over the years, trying various liquid chemicals. Some better than others, but none worked with total effectiveness. After numerous posts on here, we finally tried Zaal No Flex Digestor, following the instructions for dosage. It completely eliminated the odours and cleaned the tank walls as well. This summer we ran out while we were cruising and being unable to locate any at the various marina's on Georgian Bay we resorted back to trying various liquid products. Odour returned. After our 2 month cruise we returned to our home port and was able to locate 2 bottles of No-Flex. Bought both and treated a half full tank. Within a day odour was gone. We're going to order a case this winter to ensure we don't run out again.

James
        1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
        Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
        Lowrance Electronics!
        Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
        Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
        AGLCA #8340
        MTOA# 7469

Comment

No flex user here. Highly recommended! You can grab it on Amazon. It's a little pricey and worth a every penny!
          LilJohn Captain of Premium IV
          1991 4388 floating in the great PNW..

Comment

+1 on Noflex.
            Glen Sherwood
            1987 3270 twin 305’s
            Coupeville, WA

Comment

+2 on Noflex
              1989 3218
              1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
              2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

No Flex and clear vents. You can buy in quantity at Fisheries Supply and get a discount.
                Tally and Vicki
                "Wickus" Meridian 341
                MMSI 338014939

Comment

Looks like ZAAL is gone too.

AMAZON.COM said currently unavalable and not sure if the will have it again.

FISHERIES- it's not on there web site either.

Anything with formaldehyde has been banned in THE USA.

Looks like STINKFEST for all of us in North America.

Comment

I use Noflex however did a quick check on ebay for Aqua-Kem. Seems readily available. https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=...=g&matchtype=b

You could always order it from Canada if it gets rare in the US. Amazon.ca has it available on line.
                    Cheers, Hans
                    2007 Carver 41 CMY
                    Twin Volvo D6-370
                    Montreal, Canada
                    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

FWIW, I’ve had success with taking a Half gallon milk jug, Laundry soap - one cup, Water softener - one cup, Makes four treatments per half gallon.
                      I pump the tank then rinse using dedicated hose and nozzle, pump again until empty. Add measured amount of laundry soap and water softener combination. I’ve also revised the vent system to ensure there’s no trapped water in the hose and, after eliminating the Y valve, repurposed the through hull as a vent.
                      P/C Pete
                      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Johnny, I’ve had great results with Noflex as well. I live in Vancouver and have bought it in the past at False Creek Fuels just under the Burrard Street Bridge. Not to far from you. Cheers.
                        1989 Bayliner 3818
                        175HP Hino EH700
                        Stones Marina Nanaimo

Comment

Johnny, thanks for the panic. I just ordered 7 Noflex from fisheries for 16 bucks each no shipping.
                          Do not know why you had an issue.
                          Tally and Vicki
                          "Wickus" Meridian 341
                          MMSI 338014939

Comment

OxiClean in the powder form. Been using it for 10+ years.
                            Same active ingredients as Noflex, but it has little blue flecks, where as Noflex has...no flecks.

Best price is from Costco. A 12lb box for ~$20.
                            If you try it and don't think it works as well, you've got laundry detergent covered for a while.

Pat
                            Paragon
                            1999 4788

Comment

My wife called Thetford yesterday. Aqua-Kem has been discontinued in North Amarica. I ordered 2 gallons of Aqua-Kem last week from Amazon.ca and received 2 gallons of Aqua-Max. That's what started this whole thing off. Not getting what I ordered. So we called Thetford and got the bad news!!

The guy at Thetford said it's the best they have now but it's not as good as Aqua -Kem. Nothing was or is. I think we are screwed. Thanks California👹

Comment

Working...
                              X