Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3888 dripless

Hino engine 1.50 shaft what kind of dripless
    seal do I need .there are two different part numbers for a 1.50 shaft is it the length of the bellows any help appreciated
    bayliner3888 1989

Welcome Ace! I have the PSS versions on my boat. I’ll have to find the receipt to tell me the log size, but you can measure that on your boat by measuring the fiberglass tube as close to your current packing log as you can. I’m only familiar with the PSS brand, and the only variable I’m seeing is the shaft log diameter-the boat end where the shaft travels through the hull, nothing about length of the bellows. Sorry if I sound a bit elementary, nomenclature and trying to get my experience described to someone else can be a challenge.
    Vancouver north or Vancouver south?
    ​​​​​​​
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Thanks so are there two shaft sizes going in and going out
      the prop shaft is 1.50 bit confused

Comment

There is the prop shaft, then there’s a fixed tube that the shaft goes through, also round, that can be all sorts of diameters. Here’s a picture of mine.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	C990AB4E-1B79-41FE-B83C-C5D4A5B0E755.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	632099 From the top, there’s a shaft wiper to tie the shaft to the bonding system, then a stainless steel ring with a couple of O-rings inside that rotates with the shaft against a graphite fixed ring which is mounted on the bellows. The bottom two hose clamps are where the bellows mount to the hull. That’s the location of the second measurement in question.
        P/C Pete
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

Thanks. My shaft is 1.50, but was is the end that goes into the hull. Do you have to measure the diameter?
          thank you in advance.Henk Kuipers

Comment

I don’t have any receipts at home, but I’ll try to remember to look next time I go to the boat. End of the day, measure your hull opening.
            P/C Pete
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

I think you'll find most recommend the PSS seals. Nowever, I very much prefer the SureSeal brand. The primary reason is that changing out those seals can be a pain and anything to make that easier is worth a look. With the Sureseal units, you can buy a spare seal and small holder that goes on the prop shaft before you put everything back together. IN the event of a future seal failure, its a simple job to pop the old seal out and install the spare. Can be done without taking the shaft loose or taking the the boat out of the water. Good system.
              tonni
              Toni Froehling

Yelm, Washington
              1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

I also have the Sureseal units by Tides Marine and am happy with them (the boat came with them). On my last boat I had conventional seals and changed to teflon packing and once adjusted had very little water come through. Between the initial cash outlay for dripless seals plus installation and ongoing maintenance costs, I'm not so sure I would change if it were me. Check out the following article:

https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...ss-shaft-seals

Good luck. Rick
                Rick
                2002, 3788

Comment

If you go with PSS seals, spend the extra to get the Pro seals. They have a longer service period, seal much better than the original series and are more forgiving when there is inexact alignment with the shaft going through the shaft tube.
                  Pat
                  Paragon
                  1999 4788

Comment

We did not have good luck with PSS dripless shaft seals. They dripped and sprayed pretty much since new despite repeated adjustments. Finally no adjustment was left after 7 years so we just changed them to Tides Sureseal. No track record for us yet but they were highly recommended.
                    2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                    12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                    MV Kia Orana
                    Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Still not sure what to do the surveyer told me to replace because the bellows where tight. 200 hours later have not done anything and allows good noleaks and the rubber looks good.
                      so shouldi replace the who;system . to replace it all do you have to pull the boat out of the water?

Comment

The manufacturer recommends replacing the bellows every five years or so. The ones that were on my boat when I bought it were over 15 years old, something I would not let happen even though I think five years is a bit often. You can buy just the bellows as a kit that includes the o-rings and setscrews for the stainless steel ring.
                        Yes, I’d do it with the boat out of the water. It’s an excellent opportunity to run the props and shafts through whatever prop shop you use.
                        P/C Pete
                        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                        MMSI 367770440

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X