No announcement yet.

Dinghies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a Novurania 430 w Evinrude 30hp. Great dink. Lifts and fits atop my 4588. Jumps up and planes like a jet ski. Looking for an 11ft Whaler to replace it. Just cruise Channel Islands Marina. Ck your private messages.

JB Mason
    4588 Caledonia
    Port Hueneme, Ca

Comment

I'm considering the 4m True Kit Discovery inflatable catamaran. Very light. Has wheels for beaching. They show it aired with a Tohatsu 9.8. I might want more that that and it's rated to 20hp. 15hp is recommended. Aluminum transom with a fast draining scupper. Good videos of if in surf. Looks like good material but you have to ship from New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by AK4788newbs View Post
        I'm considering the 4m True Kit Discovery inflatable catamaran. Very light. Has wheels for beaching. They show it aired with a Tohatsu 9.8. I might want more that that and it's rated to 20hp. 15hp is recommended. Aluminum transom with a fast draining scupper. Good videos of if in surf. Looks like good material but you have to ship from New Zealand.
        Welcome to the BOC!!!

Looking at your username are you in Alaska???

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
        https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

I made my own anchor buddy out of 75’ of Home Depot bungee cord attached to a 3# danforth anchor. Another long line goes to shore and gets tied to something
          2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
          12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
          MV Kia Orana
          Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Whaler all day and Anchor Buddy. Not a scratch on the Whaler. You do though need WATER WALKERS.

Comment

All the replies I see here are from big boats. What do people use to go to shore with boats that are less than half the size of what I have seen sofar? I mean, a 15ft dinghy is not going to work for a 20 ft boat. But you need something to get to a beach or dock and stay dry. Inflatable kids boat, sup?

Comment

this is our dingy attached to our 4588 - 17 ft caribe with 115hp - we obviously tow it

Comment

Anyone consider it a risk to tow the dinghy rather than mount on the swim grid or crane? I've read several stories of lost dinghys and fuel efficiency dropping at speed (10-12kt). I would love to upgrade my dinghy to something that can tow inflatables for the kids as well as handle downriggers.

Comment

I just bought a used 12ft Livinstong cat with a 25 merc and can say it towed effortlessly behind the 3888 once the tow rope length was dialed in. The big advantage is it is way more stable and has bow rails and a bimini. The admiral is not too steady and uses a cane and she is now asking to go in the dingy.
                    P/C Bob Hicks JN
                    Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
                    Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
                    Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
                    Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
                    Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

Everything is a risk.

I have a 16'CC I tow sometimes, I have a 12' RIB like thing that goes on the upper deck most of the time but do tow it sometimes.

Having the boat onboard is almost always going to be less of a speed & fuel penalty than towing.

If you do a good portion of your trips going between marinas towing is a lot of PITA for benefit of having a big Dinghy. If Marina stops are rare then the ability to have a boat that can do 10+ mi runs comfortably it is another kind of boating.

I have kids onboard that can hop in the toy boat and let us go get situated in a marina and then have them come in. When they were too small to do that .... well you had to have a good plan and more often than not only one chance to tie so you better nail the approach or it gets ugly fast.
                      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

After deep reflection, Novurania 430 w Evinrude 30hp or similar is my ultimate choice. Floats even if filled with water. Bilge pump both electric and manual will clear. Light enough to lift or tow. 8 gal of fuel will get you where you need to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmason View Post
                          After deep reflection, Novurania 430 w Evinrude 30hp or similar is my ultimate choice. Floats even if filled with water. Bilge pump both electric and manual will clear. Light enough to lift or tow. 8 gal of fuel will get you where you need to go.
                          I have a Novurania 430, I just upgraded the 50hp Merc to a 70hp Yamaha. 60 would have been fine, they are hard to find right now so went up to the 70. The 50 was enough to plane but always worked harder than I liked, the 70 is MUCH better. You will not plane a Novurania 430 with a 30hp unless you really deprop it and are alone in the boat, it is simply not enough engine for that size boat.
                          1997 Pacific Mariner 65'- Permission Granted
                          Detroit Diesels 8v92TTA
                          NL Generators
                          Novurania and Caribe RIBS, 50Merc and 60Yamaha

Formerly 2000 Bayliner 4788
                          Formerly 2001 Maxum 3300
                          Formerly 1996 Celebrity 265

Comment

Working...
                          X