Dinghies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinghies

What are the groups opinion of hard dinghy vs RIB? We currently have an 8’ RIB with leaks, which I’m getting tired of.
    Glen Sherwood
    1987 3270 twin 305’s
    Coupeville, WA

I don't like inflatables but they are stable, mostly dry, light, and mostly carefree on how you tie them up to the boat when at anchor or at the dinghy dock.

Bullfrog, Whaly, and other plastic "RIB" boats are pretty good at getting rid of the inflatable bits but heavy for the size.
    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

We have a 9’ Livingston that we haven’t had on the boat for three years. This year, one of my sons who we usually cruise with, bight an 11’ Whaler with a 30 hp Johnson. It worked out great. Easy to tow at hull speed and 15kn once we got the bridle and tow line correct. We are looking at davits, but slowly.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

I am not a big fan of my tender.

Not that there is anything wrong with it, just that it's heavy making it impossible to beach and re-float if a tide is falling.

I have an anchor bungee that is i think 50' that i'm going to try and see if that helps. If not, i'll have a very nice Zodiac YL340 for sale when i make it to Washington.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
        https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

• stargazerwa
          stargazerwa commented
          Editing a comment
          Our tides aren’t as extreme as yours, but have been using a 50’ elastic anchor buddy with a small vinyl covered Navy anchor and a 100’ of cheap line for about 6 years now very successfully to manage falling tides. I tie the 100’ of line to the painter, go ashore let off the crew with the line, back out to deep water, clip the anchor buddy to the stern (the anchor is on the other end) and have those on shore pull me back in. Climb off, tie the shore line to a tree or a rock and watch the dinghy slide out to the deep water.

I just picked up a 96 Sea-Doo challenger as a birthday present for the Admiral. She loves it. Its only 14 feet long, tows very nicely and makes quick work of errands like fetching the kids from shore while we're out on the island. Picked it up for $2,200 with a bad cylinder. Put $800 in to get it working so for $3,000 we have a fast and fun dink. Easily does 40mph with 2 people, perhaps 35mph with 4 (didn't measure but easily got up on plane). 110hp jet. Guzzles gas but its worth it. Considering selling our RIB now. Realize that our boating is probably much different than most. Not retired and boat on a river. We're out nearly every weekend to either of our 2 favorite near by docks and we do have 5 boys and 2 granddaughters who live close by but have different schedules. The Challenger is a game changer and we finally after many years have the kids coming along. We have a perfect beach with parking nearby for the pickups and drop offs. Its also unlikely our big boat will see blue water for at least the next few years so the Challenger will be our go to.
        Tony Bacon,
        Washougal, WA
        Caspian, MMSI 338355743
        1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

We bought an AB10AL with 20hp Tohatsu equipped with a Weaver euro helm a year ago and are very pleased. We looked at hard sided boats but just didn't see many advantages and the weight is a big disadvantage. We needed a rugged hull to beach on rocks and gravel.

Advantages of some hard sided boats are greater interior room for the size and ability to hard mount accessories to the gunwales.
          MV Dreams - 1999 3988
          330 Cummins
          Wrangell, AK

Comment

We have a 11' 1980 boston whaler, but recently 2.5 years ago add a Inmar 11' super lite aluminum Rib inflatable with a 20hp Yamaha out board and wheels for beaching, we LOVE this new tender...very utilitarian by design for us with 140lb Newfi (dog) and has really work well with large loads of people, gear, dogs, etc. Whaler has been on trailer and deciding if we should keep or sell (wife loves it but also liking the Inmar and easy we beach it, lower with davit, and not worry about it bumping side or stern of boat like a whaler.

https://www.inmarboats.com/inmar-alu...-p/325r-al.htm

Mark
            USCG OUPV
            1990 4588
            Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny_4588 View Post
              We have a 11' 1980 boston whaler, but recently 2.5 years ago add a Inmar 11' super lite aluminum Rib inflatable with a 20hp Yamaha out board and wheels for beaching, we LOVE this new tender...very utilitarian by design for us with 140lb Newfi (dog) and has really work well with large loads of people, gear, dogs, etc. Whaler has been on trailer and deciding if we should keep or sell (wife loves it but also liking the Inmar and easy we beach it, lower with davit, and not worry about it bumping side or stern of boat like a whaler.

https://www.inmarboats.com/inmar-alu...-p/325r-al.htm
              Mark...

What does your new tender weigh fully equipped???
              Can you drag it yourself around the beach on its wheels?

I am going to leave Alaska with my current zodiac but might seriously be inclined to swap it out once I reach stateside

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
                I have an anchor bungee that is i think 50' that i'm going to try and see if that helps. If not, i'll have a very nice Zodiac YL340 for sale when i make it to Washington.
                After I almost swamped my 11' Rib as the waves hit the transom on the beach, I purchased the anchor buddy. Have used it for both the RIB and my 15' Arima and love it. Good luck with trying it.
                Sean
                1987 3870
                Crimson Pride II
                Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
                MMSI: 338080226

Comment

Kevin about 340lbs with fuel and anchor etc
                  With down wheels I beach and then from the front lift by hand and easily pull up a hard sand or rocky beach
                  a muddy estuary was a bit harder but still did it solo
                  Mark
                  USCG OUPV
                  1990 4588
                  Carlsbad, CA

Comment

good luck buying a new RIB right now. Mine has been stuck on a container somewhere since January.
                    Tally and Vicki
                    "Wickus" Meridian 341
                    MMSI 338014939

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny_4588 View Post
                      Kevin about 340lbs with fuel and anchor etc
                      With down wheels I beach and then from the front lift by hand and easily pull up a hard sand or rocky beach
                      a muddy estuary was a bit harder but still did it solo
                      Thanks Mark!

Another thing I am contemplating is getting a sit on Kayak. That is something I could easily drag around.
                      Sit on because getting rolled in a surf would be a whole lot funner on a sit on than a sit in model.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

• joe440
                        joe440 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have both types of kayak. I prefer the sit-on for the ease of getting on and off and cleaning. The Admiral prefers the sit in. To each their own.

• Metrodriver
                        Metrodriver commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We have 2 kayaks, a large Sit-on-top Ocean kayak, that seats 2 adults and a kid, but weighs 60 lbs. Waves are no problem, but your rear end will probably get wet. I made scupper plugs out of a pool noodle to stop water coming in. The 1 person sit-in kayak has a problem that when ot flips it is full of water, and no way to get it out, or for you to get in. We just bought a combo inflatable SUP/ kayak. It has a paddle that can be one or two bladed, footpegs and seat hooks,

Kev, I saw a cool sit on, stand up hybrid paddle board at Costco earlier this year, under $500. As the grandkids are getting closer to wanting water sports, I think one is in our future.
                      Tally and Vicki
                      "Wickus" Meridian 341
                      MMSI 338014939

Comment

• Metrodriver
                        Metrodriver commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We bought that one, still in box. Not yet had the chance for a test drive. Standing up gets tiring very quick, especially with wind. Sitting down is easier, and not so prpne to falling.

I have a new 10' TUG aluminum rib. PVC w/ 18" tubes, bow locker and double floor. 115 pounds. 4 adults are comfortable and dry if not too choppy. It was about $2,300

I have a 15hp 2 stroke with a throttle stop as the TUG is limited to 10hp.... It's crazy fast with one or two people.

The davit on the 4588 handles it without problem and I can stow and launch myself.

I also have a 50' bungee anchor rode with a 7lb grapple anchor w/ 75' of shore rode with a 5lb grapple. As long as there isn't much onshore breeze. It takes a bit of practice to get this deployed in various conditions.
                      Irony
                      1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
                      Portsmouth, NH

Comment

We have 2- two person hobbie sit kayaks and they add a lot of fun times at anchorages and exploring in the shallows
                        Mark
                        USCG OUPV
                        1990 4588
                        Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Working...
                        X