4588 1990Window Seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4588 1990Window Seal replacement

I have and going to be replacing the salon window seals, last time I did this I did NOT cut out notches over the frame drains and rethinking that maybe I should do that....anyone have an opinion on that?
    Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

I’m ALL for cutting notches or holes over the drains in the aluminum! Got caught in a torrential downpour after replacing mine, and water was running into the boat, it couldn’t drain fast enough. I cut slits in the rubber that day, and enlarged the holes later. Anyway, that’s my 2 cents worth.
    David
    Sidney, B.C.
    MV Cassiopeia V
    1990 4588
    twin 250 hp Hinos
    9kw Fisher Panda (new 2020)
    Call Sign: CFDF
    MMSI: 316014351

Comment

For sure, cut drain slots in the window slider channels. On our 490 a while back, the factory had cut then just about double the size of the slots in the aluminum.
      Rob
      Bayliner 5788
      'Merlin V'
      Vancouver BC

Comment

hi Mark
        can you tell me where you purchased the window seal material and if so do you have the part number or purchase information. Also, do you know if the seals around the pilot house sliding windows are the same

Comment

Purchased from DKhardware https://www.dkhardware.com/72-flexib...uct-18013.html vertical piece (new to me, I use the top bottom last time and it did not fit correct for vertical, so trying this on that somone else posted about) and https://www.dkhardware.com/96-flexib...uct-13555.html for the bottom...still waiting form them to arrive. yes the channels in Pillot House for the sliders are the same from when I did this before and plan to redue all at the same time.
          Mark
          USCG OUPV
          1990 4588
          Carlsbad, CA

Comment

I'd love a little how-to as you go along please. I need to do this in the next 6 months and hope it is the source of the leaks.

Comment

Absolutely cut the drain slots. We did this project two years ago and it solved many leaks. If you don't cut the slots the channels WILL overflow. Seal the pilothouse windows well at the aft base. I'm still chasing a leak into the guest storeroom bunk from the port window.
              1991 4588
              SE Michigan

Comment

Yeah! Cut those slots. I slit the slots but did not do a full cut out. One heavy rain or heavy wash and the interior molded channels fill and (hopefully) flow out the cockpit drain (if it’s clear). There’s been no real rain in Oxnard Ca for a year, but I did go back and fully clear and cut those drain holes thru the slide tracks. Also wound up replacing sone crapped out stuff.

Comment

This may be a silly question, but the new to us 4588 we have has slots about 2" x 1/8" in the aluminum extrusion frame. Is the suggestion to enlarge these or do some of the salon windows just have drain holes?
                  We are in Vancouver, BC, thanks!

Comment

Raj_eh
                    the idea is to cut a drain slots in the rubber window guides, at the same location as the drain holes in the aluminum frames.
                    David
                    Sidney, B.C.
                    MV Cassiopeia V
                    1990 4588
                    twin 250 hp Hinos

Comment

Aha! That makes sense. We are waiting for the rubber guides from CRL now. with the global supply issues, who knows?
                      Has anyone been able to lift the windows out or am I stuck with sliding the old guides out and sliding the new ones in under the windows in situ?

Comment

I couldn’t get the windows out, the guide tracks on mine were so old they were hard like rock. I had to use a pick to break them out piece by piece, it was a slow process. Sliding in the new track wasn’t too hard, as I recall.
                        David
                        Sidney, B.C.
                        MV Cassiopeia V
                        1990 4588
                        twin 250 hp Hinos

Comment

David, thanks so much for the info! I have a local shop bringing in the horizontal track so I can replace tops and bottoms so its good to have confirmation on this.
                          While waiting, I have taken out the carpet in the salon, what a job with both the carpet and underlay glued down. Almost done the glue removal to give a smooth base for the vinyl plank floor.
                          Cheers,
                          Roger

Comment

Our 1999 4788 needs these channels replaced as its beginning to get difficult to open the window behind the bar and next to the galley when we refuel. I searched and can’t find the procedure to do this job. Would someone who had done it write out a brief procedure and parts list to do a section of two salon windows?
                            Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

Stargazerwa
                              I found this link in the search function:

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...nt-gctid696448

David
                              Sidney, B.C.
                              MV Cassiopeia V
                              1990 4588
                              twin 250 hp Hinos

Comment

Working...
                              X