Bennett Trim Tabs not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bennett Trim Tabs not working

All of a sudden my Bennett trim tabs are not working no sound when you press the switch, so basically no power. After doing a little research it appears they have a 20 amp fuse, but not sure where this is located. Also at the motor end there is supposed to be a plug where the two wire harnesses meet, but it seems that Bayliner made the whole harness from the switch. After tracing the cables they go under the cockpit deck and into the cabin can't find a plug to disconnect. So I am wondering where the fuse is and to take out the motor, which has to be in the worst and most awkward place, do I have to just cut the harness and join it up later. I am hoping it is just the fuse but I don't think I will be that lucky.
    Hugh
    1990 3888
    Hino 175 Diesels

Fuse is typically located in line at/near the pump (HPU) itself (orange wire) but could be near the helm switch. At the HPU is also where you’ll find the electrical connector and the HPU’s negative wire.
    Here’s some great troubleshooting videos:

https://youtu.be/A0nejuAV1rc?list=PL...VVD0KFzn0t6_1C

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...VVD0KFzn0t6_1C
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

The wires from the command bridge switch go to the lower helm switch. From there the wires connected to the lower helm switch go into a bundle and on to the pump. Your fuse is a circuit breaker on the ignition switch panel.
      I just replaced my command bridge switch because part of it quit working. I have bow up, but had to have a crew member run them bow down at the lower helm. I didn’t try to jump wires to make sure the pump was working because the only problem was at the upper helm. I bought the replacement from Hodges https://www.hodgesmarine.com/benes20...ch-es2000.html You can probably find the same thing down under. Of course….the question of direct fit….welllllll…….ya know…….it’s a bit bigger. Shocking, right? Part of the clearances is for a lip on the underside of the trim. I found several other accessories using the power buss on the rocker switch as a power source, and ground, uh, earth. I bought a couple of power distribution busses and moved everything I could from being piggy backed to the busses. It’s amazing how much easier it it to track wires under that dashboard.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Hugh, as Pete described I suggest you search for circuit breaker versus a fuse. Also, the white Molex connector will almost certainly be located within about a foot of your HPU. Bennett supplied all of the wiring and connectors as OEM and I doubt Bayliner would have rewired the HPU to eliminate the connector. Here’s a couple of shots of mine which was original to my late 89 3888. Hope it helps.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	09E92E2A-7B00-4F03-9EFB-4010B568884E.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	629349 Click image for larger version

Name:	E99C3CD4-72C1-4A5E-890E-BDD8364EDED9.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	629350 Click image for larger version

Name:	65B0E940-23D9-4166-93C3-830390620ECE.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	629351
        Jim Gandee
        1989 3888
        Hino 175's
        Fire Escape
        [email protected]
        Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

The Bennett trim tab system is one of the more robust systems I have seen on boats. Their week link is the connector at the pump unit. Because of their location, generally in the lazerett, there is a lot of moisture and they corrode. Try pulling the plug apart, use a small wire brush on the pins and take a small drill bit, slightly smaller than the pin sockets and just clean out the sockets. Be careful not to open the sockets up and make a loose connection. You are just scraping the sides of the socket to clean any corrosion off. This works 75% of the time.

If there is an issue with the pump, Bennett is really great to work with. They have used ones that they have rebuilt and sell at a very reasonable price. You just do an exchange with them. At least they use to, been 5 or 7 years since I used their service helping a fellow boater.
          Patrick and Patti
          4588 Pilothouse 1991
          12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
          M/V "Paloma"
          MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Check to make sure its not just the switch! I had my switch decide to go left when we were coming home from our last trip! There was no click and no detent so just replaced the switch and now all good again! Bennett is now owned by Yamaha!

Comment

• Papa_Charlie
              Papa_Charlie commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry to hear that. I hope, but doubt the customer service will be the same.

Thank you for your responses, I tested the switch and that worked well. In attempting pull out the pump I finally saw the connector joining the cable assemblies. Let me tell you that has to be in the most awkward spot on the boat, not much thought for maintenance went into that installation. Anyway it turned out that the pump worked well under test, the problem was the connector. All of the pins were corroded and I couldn't pull it apart and ended up cutting the cables. I am going to reroute the cables closer to the hatch so it will be easier to work on and to top up the fluid
            Hugh
            1990 3888
            Hino 175 Diesels

Comment

• Pcpete
              Pcpete commented
              Editing a comment
              What!? And make it easier!?

My port side Bennet tab is slow to come on. The SB lights right up and moves with touch of button at PH or FB. The port side will light up and function in about five minutes. Then it functions a button touch at bot PH & FB. Not sure what’s up but hate to screw with it (never turns out well). May be electrical or mystical boat stuff.

Comment

• builderdude
              builderdude commented
              Editing a comment
              Likely the same issue as the op, corrosion at the connector.

• HughfromOz
              HughfromOz commented
              Editing a comment
              My thoughts too. 90% of the problems seem to be electrical. It seems like you have a high resistance joint on the port side. Good luck with the access.
          Working...
          X