Replacing water heater?-gctid352332

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing water heater?-gctid352332

I just finisthed getting access hatch to cave installed and am about to replace my holding tank and all waste lines. Very similar to what many of you have posted about recently.

One thought occured to me is that if I ever want to replace the hot water tank now is the time. Replacing it would require pulling the holding tank, and since it will be out that seems to make sense. But I aslo noticed water heaters are pretty pricey. I am sure this is the original hot water heater, so it is 23 years old now. How long would someone expect these to last? If it is just a matter of time now, then I should just do it now. Also, any recomendations on water heaters?

While I am at it, should I replace the originally battery charger which is right above the existing tank. At a minimum I am going ot move it, but again if it is just matter of time I should just do it now. Again, any recommendations on it. I have a newer Xantrex/inverter that handles my house bank.

Thanks

Bump.

Scott, 23 years is old for a tank. Smaller cruisers probably don't last that long, however I did remove ours on the 2755 a couple years ago, it was 20 years old.

It was still working, but many things like the insulation was deteriating and the outside was rusting.

Just recently changes water heater on the 2859 also and went with the Kuuma. You'll probably need a larger tank.

Can't give you long term opinion on the operation but it has worked great the past season and looks much better than a painted ones.

Comment

Glen,

If you are thinking about it, check this link.

I just bought one for my 310. Looks to be a very nice unit but, I do not have it installed yet.

Bob

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150559867089...84.m1497.l2649

Comment

I think the original battery charger was on the transom wall slightly to stbd. You want you replacement as close to the batteries as possible. I hung mine from the stringers dead centre as far aft as I could get. That centred the weight rather than add to the standard starboard list.
        1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I agree with replacing the heater while you have the holding tank removed. I had a similar situation in my 3587 when I had to replace my 8D batteries. The water heater was behind one of the batteries and the boat is a 1996 so it seemed like a good time to replace the tank. I noticed I had rust on the bottom of the tank which happens from condensation caused by the heating when we turned on the breaker and by the cooling when we shut it off while we are off the boat. Long story short, prop your new water heater up on some 1X2 marine grade strips to elevate the unit off the fiberglass hold base. This allow the unit to dry out and prevents rusting out the botom over time. Be sure to replace your pressure relief and route a drain line into the bilge.
          She Said Yes
          1996 3587
          Cummins 250 HP
          Long Beach, CA.

Comment

sprint7TW wrote:
            Glen,

If you are thinking about it, check this link.

I just bought one for my 310. Looks to be a very nice unit but, I do not have it installed yet.

Bob

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150559867089...84.m1497.l2649
            Thanks Bob,

I installed the Xantrex HF1800 Inverter/Charger last year with the LinkLite monitor. I'm very happy with it.

Comment

Okay, new tank it is. Only money I guess. Kids don't need no stinkin inheratence anyways.

Comment

Scott,

I would rethink replacing the hot water heater. I spoke with several service guys that work and sold these heaters. The tanks are generally SS and will run for just about ever. If it isn't broken don't worry about it.

I would redirect the money to get a nice Inverter/3 stage charger to ensure that your battery system is maintained properly and to increase you comfort on the go and hook. In addition to the inverter I would also install at least 4 golf cart 6 VDC batteries for the house.

As for your holding tank, we replaced the entire system on our 32, I recommend the Sealand holding tank. They are extra heavy duty and all the lines come in from the top of the tank instead of the bottom . That way all your lines are empty instead of full all the time.

Here is the thread on my work in the cave. It give you a before and after view once the work was completed. The hatch makes access really nice and the fact that the hoses are on top of the tank helps to prolong their life and prevent problems if you should ever have to pull the tank.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...t=holding+tank

If your going to replace the water heater, measure carefully as there is little room for errors and the engine hoses come in from the back of the tank not the front or side. Although I don't believe that you really need to. Just my opinion. Mine is working great and it is 23 years old. I did reseal the tank fittings and that is the only problem that I have ever had.
                Patrick and Patti
                4588 Pilothouse 1991
                12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
                M/V "Paloma"
                MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Working...
                X