?? Penn Downriggers-gctid352318

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?? Penn Downriggers-gctid352318

The :arrCapt :arr asked me to post this and ask a question......

in the past he has used Penn 600 manual down riggers. He hasn't seen anything on the forum or from people raving about them. He has heard about Scotty down riggers and how easy parts for them are to get.. which in my eyes, means they are cheap and break easier???? so.. please tell us your story on riggers and what is used...

hopefully the Capt comes home for spring break and we can take the boat out for a full week of playing and fishing.... weeeeeeeeehaaaaaa :worthFISH ON:worth

RinnyBeth wrote:
    The :arrCapt :arr asked me to post this and ask a question......

in the past he has used Penn 600 manual down riggers. He hasn't seen anything on the forum or from people raving about them. He has heard about Scotty down riggers and how easy parts for them are to get.. which in my eyes, means they are cheap and break easier???? so.. please tell us your story on riggers and what is used...

hopefully the Capt comes home for spring break and we can take the boat out for a full week of playing and fishing.... weeeeeeeeehaaaaaa :worthFISH ON:worth
    Have had Cannon, Penn and Scotty downriggers-plus some other off brands-i.e. Riveria for example. Would never use anything but Scotty downriggers ever again. They do not break often. In today's age, wonder why someone wants to use anything but an electric downrigger. I like to hit the button to raise the downrigger and concentrate on catching the fish instead of manually raising the downrigger. My dingy has two Scotty electrics running off a garden tractor battery.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

+1

Darby

Comment

Scottys are the best.......Lifetime warranty and except for the free annual maintenance never do anything to them, Put on the braided line not the stainless cable!!! I have 4 electrics on my boat and except for my dumbasp brother breaking a brake handle ...........NO PROBLEMS:worth

Comment

Sorry, should have added more.

If you troll a lot - and I presume you do since you boating out on Juneau - make the financial sacrifice and get the electric downriggers. They cost more, but believe me, they are worth the money when you find yourself checking your bait/lure a lot because of jellyfish, small fish, seaweed, etc., etc., etc. This is even more true when your trying to run the boat and downriggers at the same time.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy used ones for half the price or less - in fact I did about 15 years ago - which you can find on craigslist (Anchorage or Seattle) or ebay.

Good luck, and may the K-Boy gods treat you well this spring.

Darby

Comment

Used electrics are usually STOLEN and supply and demand dictates if you will buy it they will steal it. Scotty will only lifetime guarantee the downriggers if you are the original purchaser, go to a chandler and spend the money and buy your own shiny new ones. Worth the bucks.:greedy_dollars:

Comment

yes we plan on getting electric down riggers.. if we are going to make the investment, then we want a good one.. lifetime warranty is great.. that I would go for.. thank you guys

Comment

Ofishal wrote:
                Scottys are the best.......Lifetime warranty and except for the free annual maintenance never do anything to them, Put on the braided line not the stainless cable!!! I have 4 electrics on my boat and except for my dumbasp brother breaking a brake handle ...........NO PROBLEMS:worth
                +1 but my dumbasp brother has not been able to break mine

Comment

Scotty's without question. They rock!
                  Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Working...
                  X