Bolts for Bow Sprit 3888

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolts for Bow Sprit 3888

My Boat was involved in an accident with someone trying to get into their pen on the marina. They hit the accelerator and hit my boat pretty hard on the bow. They damaged the bow pretty badly but also bent the bow sprit retaining bolts. My repairer said that he can't get access to the retaining nuts underneath. The only way is to take out the wall from the main cabin or he suggested cutting a hole from the front rope locker and perhaps they can reach them with a spanner.

Just wondering if there is any advice or another way of getting to the retaining nuts. I would have though they would be captive, but no such luck.
    Hugh
    1990 3888
    Hino 175 Diesels

This is what I did it take a 5 inch hole to get your arm through Click image for larger version  Name:	372D2BAB-48AD-412B-BED3-2B6E7E65B5F0.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.46 MB ID:	621219
    1988 3818
    EH 700
    Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

That’s what I did to remove and rebuild my pulpit. Installed access hatch in wall of anchor locker.
      Jim Gandee
      1989 3888
      Hino 175's
      Fire Escape
      [email protected]
      Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Same here!
        Sean
        1987 3870
        Crimson Pride II
        Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
        MMSI: 338080226

Comment

I did the same thing, unscrewed the mirro at the headboard area then cut an access port to the chain locker that I could fit through. I can sit on the chain pile and access everything from below.

James
          Attached Files
          1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
          Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
          Lowrance Electronics!
          Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
          Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
          AGLCA #8340
          MTOA# 7469

Comment

Thank you for your responses, they ended up cutting a porthole in the hatch as RDH and Jim have done. The cost being an additional $400.00. It is open slather when an insurance company is involved. I suppose long term the way McPhid cut the access hole through the main bedroom is best. Although it my case it would have to be a much bigger hole.
            Hugh
            1990 3888
            Hino 175 Diesels

Comment

Working...
            X